SDSE: export drum VSTs to .wav, .dsnd and .dkit in 1-click

Started by Lustar, November 23, 2012, 10:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you be interested in a Mac version of SDSE? (only vote if you are a Mac user)

Yes, a Mac version is a must for me
I would but I already use the Windows version on my Mac or notebook
No, free solutions like Boot Camp or VirtualBox are enough, keep the focus on supporting VSTs

Lustar

So the only last changes were changing back the Windows display to 150% and installing Evil Drums. It could explain it. When setting the display higher than 100% in Windows it's important to use the version of reaper that's installed by SDSE so that it has the right settings. It's possible to use the evaluation of reaper for 60 days with SDSE, it works exactly the same.
There should be two solutions if you prefer to keep reaper 5.99:
- use reaper 5.99 with Windows set to 100% display scale
- keep reaper 5.99 as your main DAW and to export with SDSE use the reaper version installed by SDSE, which doesn't need the display to be at 100% in most cases

logihack

Lustar

Thanks logihack :)

SDSE 2.9.4 is released: download
As usual it's possible to update by installing the new version directly on top of a previous version.

• SD3/EZD2: support for the Latin Cuban Drums and Latin Cuban Percussion EZX2 expansions.
  • Convert: allow batch convert from .wav to .dsnd when a folder contains some bad/corrupted wav files (the bad files will be ignored)
  • support for REAPER v6.14

Lustar

SDSE 2.9.5: download

Thanks to tsss27 for the feedback and testing!

• SD3/EZD2: support for the Classic Rock and Modern Metal EZX expansions.
  • SD2: support for the Superior Drummer 1 sound library (Cocktail, Drummer/dfh Superior, Percussionist)
  • support for keyboard set to Russian, Greek or other non-latin languages.
  • Convert, 2box: fix when creating a HiHat dsnd from wav with a single zone type (bow or edge)
  • Convert, 2box: fixed wrong tune when batch converting from individual .wav samples to .dsnd with the Max Tune Up enabled.
  • Convert, 2box: the Maximize setting can be used when batch converting from individual .wav samples.
  • Convert: the Snare Rim options and velocity switch percentage can be used when batch converting from .wav
  • Steven Slate Drums SSD4: the pedal closed (chick) can be exported for the Strike and other modules.
  • support for REAPER 6.19

Charlielala

Hi,

I have been trying to export an easy drummer kit to save on to my 2box card using the sdse software that I purchased. I keep getting an "error opening C:/"file path"

Any help would be really appreciated

Thanks

Lustar

Hi

It looks like the destination path is not available, which is odd since it's located on the desktop by default. I would open the SDSE options and on the first page change "Destination Path" to a folder that can be written to. Ideally it should have plenty of free space.

When exporting from Superior Drummer make sure to keep the mapping set to Default in the SD3 settings (it shouldn't be set to 2box DrumIt for instance)

I hope that helps, otherwise don't hesitate to send me a mail!

Charlielala

halftime

Quote from: Charlielala on January 25, 2021, 09:38:55 AM
I have been trying to export an easy drummer kit to save on to my 2box card using the sdse software that I purchased. I keep getting an "error opening C:/"file path"

I just installed SDSE and initially ran into this same error when trying to export. The reason was that I had changed the default output location. It's a bit odd because the custom location was under Documents which should be writable, and I even tried running SDSE and Reaper as administrator, but it did not help. The export started to work when I changed the location back under Desktop.

halftime

I was exporting a kit from Superior Drummer 2 and it went well otherwise, but for some reason, SDSE was unable to create a dsnd file of the hi-hat. When it gets to the dsnd construction part, it shows a message "Couldn't save: 3" and then fails. What's wrong here? I'm using the latest SDSE and Reaper versions.

Also, this the first time I'm using any of these programs, so I have no idea what I'm doing. :D

EDIT: I got a reply from Lustar directly, a possible explanation is insufficient memory or disk space. I will try again with some suggestions.

halftime

Quote from: halftime on March 08, 2021, 08:01:51 PM
I was exporting a kit from Superior Drummer 2 and it went well otherwise, but for some reason, SDSE was unable to create a dsnd file of the hi-hat. When it gets to the dsnd construction part, it shows a message "Couldn't save: 3" and then fails. What's wrong here? I'm using the latest SDSE and Reaper versions.

Also, this the first time I'm using any of these programs, so I have no idea what I'm doing. :D

EDIT: I got a reply from Lustar directly, a possible explanation is insufficient memory or disk space. I will try again with some suggestions.

I was able to export the hi-hat with Lustar's help. Apparently the latest release of SDSE (2.9.5) had some issue which has been fixed in a beta version that I tested.

Karbonfaiba

Bug to report: Convert > Sort in folders > instr only (this doesn't save, and defaults back to instr + lib for export)

Can I also request a feature? Zones, Snare articulations: Support for Ruffs?

Basically I've been playing around with custom sample stacking and placing a few ruffs samples on the bottom couple of layers of the snare to add a really authentic "autopilot" buzzroll (akin to pressroll notes on other drum modules or dynamic attack smoothing on Roland COSM) so I'd like to export those easier.

One day maybe we could have the same Snare Vel switch feature applied to the head zone with a percent control for ruffs or roll articulations?

For now I'm doing it manually because it requires an careful ear. Ruffs often exceed in volume over the minimum velocity layers on normal head articulation, so you have to bin all but the lower 2-3 ruffs and about 15-20 lower head hits. An algorithm could do this of course by matching the nearest peak volume, but currently the switch happens at about 20% with selective binning. So although it sounds natural, the crossover is too high. When I get the switch happening near 5% it will play much more naturally I presume, so I'm working on exporting ruffs at a reduced volume next, to see how close I can get to 5% without a stark jump in timbre.

So requesting ruff export support, as more snares seem to have ruffs than rolls.

Lustar

Thanks for reporting this, it will be set correctly to instr in the next version.

That's some interesting experimentation. The Snare Ruff articulation was already supported for SD2 and BFD3 but it wasn't enabled for SD3. The next version will allow to export it from SD3 (enable the Ruff articulation for the snare in SD3 and set Snare Rim or Snare articulations to "Drag" in the SDSE Options)

I'll send you the work in progress version with the fix and support for the Ruff/Drag in SD3.

Karbonfaiba

Excellent support once again, thanks!

Pleased if I can continue to provide any new feedback that help makes SDSE even better.  ;D

So I've been running some experiments on minimizing background noise with the 2box module, and I discovered something interesting about SDSE / DSound Manager along the way.

Basically I created a 24bit 44100hz WAV in audacity, 15 seconds of silence.

Then I saved multiple versions of this file to see if I could isolate if the noise was generated by the preamp in the 2box module, or if it was contained in the sample and I found something interesting...

File saved in 2box editor, Maximum tune set to 0.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/3czbtbk2voz4u63/15s_2boxEditor_Tune0.dsnd/file

File saved using DSound Manager / SDSE, Maximum tune set to 0, maximize off.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/48c7rdtgjrit960/15s_DSndMgr_Tune0.dsnd/file

The file saved in DSound Manager contains noise. The file saved in 2box editor does not.

Importing a 16bit 44100hz had a little more noise in both programs, but the difference was increased when saving 24bit.
Both programs convert the 24bit WAV in 16bit for 2box, but something seems to happen during this conversion in DSound Manager that adds noise. As far as I can see the only difference is the reported peak value being -9223372036854775808 from the editor and peak of 1 from DSound manager. Strange.  :o

I'm thinking it's because DSound Manager doesn't support negative peak values and the correction boosts the signal but I have noticed some samples exported using SDSE do cut off abruptly which lead me to this experiment.

I'm keen on isolating noise contained in the recording from the VST from noise contained in the noise floor of the wav.

Lustar

Thanks for all your feedback Karbonfaiba it's much appreciated. I didn't notice that your post appeared on the forum since we last exchanged mails. Just in case anyone wonders the difference turned out to be dithering noise. It happened in SDSE when using the Max Tune Up option (which is disabled by default) or when converting directly from individual .wav samples to .dsnd (without exporting from a drum VST). In DSound Manager it happened when Max Tune Up was used (disabled by default) or when Maximize wasn't used (enabled by default)

SDSE 2.9.8 is released: download

It supports the new BFD3 version from inMusic, following the migration from fxpansion.com to bfddrums.com.

• support for more free VSTi from Alan Vista: Clavestinas, Clog Boxes, Cymbalistic, Hand Crash and Thai Gongs.
  • BFD3: support for BFD3 3.4.0.24 from inMusic/bfddrums.com
  • BFD3: support for the Crush expansion.
  • BFD3: support for the rim click articulation for the first five toms (high, mid2, mid, floor 2, floor), set Tom Rim to Rimonly in Options > Zones. mapping is full so removed Perc 11 to 15.
  • 2box Kit: when creating a .dkit file the Decay is now set to 10 by default instead of infinite to help reduce latency.
  • 2box: fixed batch converting .wav samples to Loop .dsnd (when copying .wav samples in "SDSE Sounds", clicking Convert and checking "Convert all to Loop")
  • 2box: disable .wav dithering when Max Tune Up is used or when converting from already split samples, to avoid noise when playing the dsnd when the volume is increased higher than 0 in the Kit or Unit settings - big thanks to Karbonfaiba for reporting this!
  • SD3: fixed issue that prevented exporting from SD3 v3.2.4 when too many presets were installed.
  • SD3: the Ruff articulation can now be exported (enable "Ruff" for the snare in SD3 and set Snare Rim or Snare articulations to "Drag" in the SDSE Options)
  • GetGood Drums Invasion: added Ruff as second zone of the alternate snare, fixed China L mapping and exporting Bell L, Bell R.
  • Kontakt: fix to allow exporting from unsupported sound libraries that use multiple instruments instead of a single instrument (like Core Kit from vi-elements)
  • fixed setting sort folder option to "instr" - thanks to Karbonfaiba for reporting this
  • fixed possible issue after checking REAPER.
  • fixed support for the older version of VSDSX 1.0
  • support for REAPER 6.28

Lustar

SDSE 2.9.9 is available: download

2box DrumIt Loops fixes and improvements
Big thanks to Daniel from www.ddrum.ch for reporting issues with loops in SDSE and DrumIt Manager. Check out 2B40 if you're looking to easily make music with loops!

Alesis Strike Tip: save memory
For anyone with both a 2box DrumIt and an Alesis Strike module, here's a great trick that was found by Matt Lee: you can enjoy the same memory saving benefits as the Max Tune Up feature from the DrumIt on the Alesis Strike!
- in the new version of SDSE, set Options > Convert > Max tune up to 5
- export some instruments with SDSE and copy them to your Strike SD card
- open the Strike Editor and create your new instruments, making sure to set the 'SEMI' parameter negative to match your max tune setting (for max tune up 5 in SDSE, set SEMI to -5 in the Strike Editor)

Changelog:

• support for GetGood Drums One Kit Wonder Aggressive Rock, One Kit Wonder Metal and One Kit Wonder Modern Fusion (all with the default Invasion mapping)
  • support for Wavesfactory Legacy Drums with GM mapping (in Legacy Drums settings, articulation control select preset: Mapping_Brush_GM, Mapping_ClassicRock_GM, Mapping_TeaTowel_GM)
  • Convert, Sort in folders: more choice for subfolder \preset, \lib, \VST
  • SSD5.5: support for SSD5.5 v1.2.4 when UI scale is set higher than 100% in the SSD5 settings. export tom rims.
  • SSD4: export HiHat foot splash for David Bendeth, Blackbird, Chris Lord-Alge and Terry Date. export tom rims for Chris Lord-Alge.
  • 2box loops: fixed issue when batch converting from .wav to loop .dsnd - big thanks to Daniel from www.ddrum.ch for reporting this!
  • Convert, 2box: it is now possible to batch convert more than 127 single zone .wav to .dsnd at a time.
  • Convert, Alesis Strike: the Max tune up can now be used with the Strike profile, to save a lot of memory on the Strike.
  • fix to export from Perfect Drums (drums and kits only, sampler is not supported)
  • SD3: better fix to export from SD3 when the sound library contains many presets, or on small screen resolutions (tested on as low as 1024x768) - thanks to Raymond for reporting this issue
  • SD3: fix to export crash bell when cymbal is loaded in a preset using several SDX or EZX - thanks to Al for reporting this
  • VSDSX: support for VSDSX 2.0.2
  • support for REAPER 6.32