SDSE: export drum VSTs to .wav, .dsnd and .dkit in 1-click

Started by Lustar, November 23, 2012, 10:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you be interested in a Mac version of SDSE? (only vote if you are a Mac user)

Yes, a Mac version is a must for me
I would but I already use the Windows version on my Mac or notebook
No, free solutions like Boot Camp or VirtualBox are enough, keep the focus on supporting VSTs

Lustar

When exporting the volume of the samples is already maximized in the .dsnd but depending on the mix/preset it can sound very different, if there is very little compression or if there is too much (lack of dynamics). It's possible to increase the main fader volumes in Unit but you would then need to reduce the individual volumes of your stock kits.

mvdput

Thanks Lustar for your answer. I wonder how fellow 2Box users experience this and how do they solve this?

maczila

Hi.. Any update on a Mac Version for this software.. as well as the drumit manager? Looks great but unfortunately I dont have a PC to run it.. :( :patbat2box:

mvdput

Quote from: mvdput on October 23, 2016, 07:29:37 AM
I recently exported a few kits from SD2 with SDSE (with default setting) and I noticed that I have to turn up the volume of my 2Box module to the max to get a bit of decent sound. And it is still not how it should be.
Is it normal that the volume of custom exported kits is a lot lower than the standard stock sounds or am I doing something wrong and can I optimize some things?

I feel a bit like a n00b now....   ::)  because I noticed that in my 2Box Module I am able to set the initial volume levels for each pad/cymbal per kit....  In my custom exported kits from SD2 all pads/cymbals were set to 60-70% volume level. Turning the volume up resolves my issue with too low volumes...  ;D

Lustar

maczila: if you have a recent Mac with enough RAM it's possible to run Windows programs with Bootcamp, Parallels or VirtualBox, it works quite well. Don't hesitate to send me a mail if you need help!

I'm glad that it's solved mvdput I was going to send you a PM to investigate :)

Lustar

SDSE 2.4.8 is available.

As usual, it's possible to update by installing directly on top of the previous version.

Exporting from Royotoms also works with the evaluation version of SDSE.

• support for Kontakt 5.6
  • support for Alan Vista Royotoms (free)
  • support for GetGood Drums Halpern Drums for Kontakt (use default GGD mapping)

ddrummer68

For some reason, SDSE will not call dsoundtool.  I can double click the dsoundtool.bat file, which is located in the SDSE folder.  If dsound is already running when I go to SDSE and click Convert, the process will complete for the first wav-to-dnsd conversion only.  Then, dsound quits, and SDSE waits about 3 minutes (Starting DSOUND TOOL is shown in the status bar) before giving up and calling the process complete.  I can then restart the process, by double clicking dsoundtool.bat, as above.  There are no error messages, but no activity either.  This is a fresh and licensed install of SDSE.  Has anyone seen or solved a similar issue to this?  Thanks!

Lustar

The latest work in progress had a fix for a similar issue, I released it now. If it still doesn't work please send me a PM or email and we'll make it work!

SDSE 2.4.9

• support for the newer EZX2 Big Rock Drums, Dream Pop, Hip-Hop!, Progressive Rock and Post-Rock (thanks to Johannes and Digs)
  • improved Addictive Drums accessibility menu (F11) with options to clear the kit or keep only certain pieces
  • fixed possible issue preventing export from starting with Kontakt 5.6 or newer
  • fix for issue starting DSoundTool with some Java installations

Coda

>Sorry, you can't repeat a karma action without waiting 1 hours.
Damn! I'll come back tomorrow, Lustar!  ;D

ddrummer68

Thanks so much, Lustar!  The issue has been resolved with your latest version.  I really appreciate the amazing support.  Now I must buy BFD3, which is on sale for 50% off!!!

Lustar

SDSE was updated with support for the Big Rock Drums EZX2 thanks to Digs (changelog updated in previous post)
Download

rafaelfreitas

Hello!  :D

I've converted the standard kit of Superior Drummer 2.0, but all my cymbals are not choking. I couldn't find any information about it here or on Lustark webpage. Does anyone know how can I activate the function choke?

Lustar

Hi rafael,

DrumIt Five cymbals can be choked by holding the edge, much like an acoustic cymbal, but it uses the same samples. dsnd files don't have a separate choke zone.

It's possible to export the Mute articulation of crash cymbals from Superior Drummer 2 with this setting:
SDSE Options / Zones / Crash Bell "use mute"
The Mute sound will be assigned to the bell in the dsnd:
edge and bow: edge zone
bell: choke zone
hold the edge for the normal choke

In a way it's a faster way to get the choke sound, a LazyChoke(TM) :)

DeraldPrice

Hi Lustar,

I love SDSE. It'd one of the best time savings apps I have come across.

I have one suggestion that would be a huge help in my workflow. I often find myself exporting the same instrument for different kits (most often the snare). But for each kit the sound I am going for can be very different. The net result is that I will end up with a bunch of snares named something like 14x5 Brass_218. This can be pretty hard to keep track of as the numbering system is kind of abstract.

My thought is that I would like to be able to name a kit at export and have all the generated dsnds sent to a directory of the same name. I find myself doing this by hand after each export to keep things organized in a way that is easy to remember and to find on the module if needed.

Thanks.

Derald

Lustar

Hi Derald, I'm glad that you like the program!

It's possible to give a short name to the exported kit by typing up to 4 characters in the text field of SDSE between the dkit and Options buttons. For instance when exporting a snare from Superior Drummer 2 New York Avatar:
14x6.5 L BBeauty_NY2B.dsnd
By default SDSE adds 2 random characters to label each version that's exported and to avoid duplicate filenames, in this case 2B.

If we type a preset name like Rock or Dry1, Dry2 before clicking Export:
14x6.5 L BBeauty_NYRock.dsnd
14x6.5 L BBeauty_NYDry1.dsnd
14x6.5 L BBeauty_NYDry2.dsnd

By default the .dsnd are sorted by instrument and sound library so that alternate versions of the same piece can be found in the same folder. With folders like "Snare", "SnareSD2MC", "SnareSD2NY" it's possible to turn the dial to try all available snares.

It wasn't possible to sort by kit so I added it in the latest work in progress. It will be in Convert > sort .dsnd in folders: "lib + preset" or "preset". I'm sending you a mail if you'd like to try it.