SDSE: export drum VSTs to .wav, .dsnd and .dkit in 1-click

Started by Lustar, November 23, 2012, 10:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you be interested in a Mac version of SDSE? (only vote if you are a Mac user)

Yes, a Mac version is a must for me
I would but I already use the Windows version on my Mac or notebook
No, free solutions like Boot Camp or VirtualBox are enough, keep the focus on supporting VSTs

Lustar

Thanks for the feedback!

This is a common problem on Windows 32-bit with Java. DSoundTool requires Java and Java is limited to about 1300MB of memory on Windows 32-bit. SDSE already minimizes the amount of memory required by DSoundTool and launches it in a way that will make it use as much RAM as possible (depending on what's available), but even then it can produce this kind of message.

If you have to use Windows 32-bit make sure to use the default (recommended) SDSE settings and try to free as much RAM as possible by closing other programs before exporting.

If you can use Windows 64-bit with more than 3GB of RAM it is unlikely that you will get this error.

If you are on Windows 64-bit and got this Java error, make sure to install the 64-bit version of Java. Uninstall all versions of Java and install the latest 64-bit version (jre-7u71-windows-x64.exe) from that link: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre7-downloads-1880261.html

ANGR77

Yes. You were right. I had the 32 bit windows version of java installed. (A bit stupid of me to not check this - I should have checked this earlier - I am running everything in 64bit)

I changed to the 64 bit and my memory error problem was gone.

However - I get an error message when trying to create the dsnd file for my snare which is that the wave file consist of 127 samples - where only 99 is allowed. Easy to change. But, I thought about reporting this back - I am guessing the AD2 batch job settings should maybe take care of this default.

Best Regards

ANGR77
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

Lustar

It does, by default SDSE removes duplicate samples and checks that the amount of samples is not higher than 99 so it shouldn't happen at all. Make sure to keep "split" and "remove duplicates" enabled in Options/Convert. All the default settings are recommended to get the best results: 2box curve (SDSE uses the same velocity curve as the 2box editor), maximize, split (uses less memory for DSoundTool and needed to check duplicates and limit the amount of samples), remove duplicates, 16-bit (maximum in a .dsnd file). You can click "Reset" then "OK" to get back to the default configuration.

ANGR77

Works like a charm now.

I had the default values in sdse earlier but I am guessing that maximizing part went wrong because of the Java problems.

It was working just fine now! A fantastic tool... something to order for X-mas...

Best regards

Angr77
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

ANGR77

Hi!

SDSE Works like a charm! I took my best kits from AD2 and produced a couple of kits. Takes about 38 minutes to produce a complete kit. The SDSE app produces a .dkit file. I can see that this file can be read in Luststarks Drumit Manager... but I have also tried to open it in drumit five editor but this will not work.

Is this the case?

Best regards

Angr77

Lustar

It's normal, the 2box Editor can't open single kits directly. The .dkit files created by SDSE are single kits. Single kits can be opened on the module by pressing on the first knob and turning clockwise. It will switch from the 100 kits (DrumIt.dkit Kit Bank) to individual kits.

To open a single kit with the 2box Editor you need to open a DrumIt.dkit Kit Bank then select a kit you want to replace and click File > "Import Single Kit". If you try to open a single kit with File > "Open Kit Bank" the 2Box Editor will display an error message.

To open a single kit or a kit bank with DKit Manager you can double click on it in your file explorer, it can open both types of .dkit directly. You can also click Open or open a DrumIt.dkit then select a kit in the list and click Import. You can import or export several single kits at the same time. When importing several single kits at the same time they will replace the current kit and following kits. To build a kit with DKit Manager you can drag and drop .dsnd files from the list or from your file explorer.

Here's a tip to export faster with SDSE: you can set "Export Mode" to "Medium" in Options/General. It will export much faster but it may not get all of the samples. Depending on the VST it can be interesting because for some of them the difference will be minimal. It can also be useful when comparing different versions of the same kit, before setting it back to "per VST" (same as High for most VSTs) to export final versions of the kits you like the most.

Season's greetings!

ANGR77

Hi!

I have converted all existing AD2 packs using the nice SDSE tool and tested them on my 2Box and it is working fine!

I had only one question. All converted packs leaves the hihat bell wave files in two flavors...open1 and closed so I am guessing that these files have not been processed and included in the DSDN files.

Is this something wrong here or is it Ok?

Angr77

Lustar

It's also normal, you can safely delete ant leftover .wav files. SDSE fits as many articulations as possible for the hats and keeps the .wav files that were not used in the "SDSE Sounds" folder so that they can be used later if needed. In Options/Zones you can change the Hats Bell setting: "Yes", "No" or "prefer to Bow" to use it instead of the Bow zone when both are available.

Lustar

SDSE 2.3 is available.

The new version adds support for VSDS-X, a great Simmons SDS-V Drum Synthesizer from Aly James Lab.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback!

main changes since 2.2.7:

• support for VSDS-X (Simmons SDS-V Extended Drum Synthesizer)
  • support for the Made of Metal EZX2
  • support for 32-bit VSTs loaded in REAPER 64-bit
  • REAPER 4.77 is now the recommended version to use with SDSE
  • accessibility: press F9 to focus on the VST list, F10 to open the Addictive Drums main menu, F11 for a custom menu to select kit pieces in Addictive Drums
  • Render: minimum/maximum sample limit can now be used when using Render
  • Render/Convert: improved sample split to clean up beginning of very soft hits
  • Samples limit: increased default minimums for Snare and Tom head, Ride bow and closed Hats
  • Options/Advanced: setting to disable clipping detection during rendering
  • Options/Advanced: setting to shut down computer when Export is complete
  • Superior Drummer 2, EZdrummer, EZdrummer 2: fixed Closed Tip mapping for some of the EZX/SDX
  • Superior Drummer 2: remove rim sounds on snare head for the NY Vol.3 and Hit Factory SDX
  • SSD4: support for exporting from older version of SSD4 (v1.0.97)
  • Addictive Drums 2: support special case when several accounts are found

lichtigroovt

Hi,

Thanks for the update!
Can you also supply support for AJLAB VLINN?

Thank you in advancce

Peter

Lustar

lichtigroovt

Hi,
I have SDSE 2.3 and VSDSX
Unfortunately it's not possible to render kits
Message in reaper (4.77)"nothing to render"
VSDSX is ticked...
???
Toontrack and SSD work....
Any guesses?

Thank you in advance

Lustar

The message isn't related to a VST in particular, it looks like something went wrong when selecting the regions to render. Please close Reaper and try again.

Here's how VSDS-X should look with SDSE, with the extra checkboxes:

Click on the checkboxes to select the kit pieces to export (whole kit, cymbal, toms or individual pieces)

(edit)
The problem turned out to be a slightly different version of VSDS-X, the version on the website is updated to support it.

mcrackins

norseman

Quote from: Lustar on November 24, 2012, 04:44:17 PM
Thanks for your comments :)

digitalDrummer: Unfortunately there won't be a Mac version. The good news is that Mac users can still use it by installing it on a Windows virtual machine. It's not as convenient but at least it should work.

Hi, I know this thread is old but what is exactly preventing you from releasing a MAC version when you mentioned this is made in Java?

Is it the setup/config process?