SDSE: export drum VSTs to .wav, .dsnd and .dkit in 1-click

Started by Lustar, November 23, 2012, 10:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you be interested in a Mac version of SDSE? (only vote if you are a Mac user)

Yes, a Mac version is a must for me
I would but I already use the Windows version on my Mac or notebook
No, free solutions like Boot Camp or VirtualBox are enough, keep the focus on supporting VSTs

Lustar

SDSE 2.0.6 is available.

3 zones for your snare:
It is now possible to export a second articulation for the snare rim zone and to set a percentage after which the sound will change. To export a snare with a sidestick sound that switches to a rimshot for the harder hits, click Options/Zones and set Snare Rim to Sidestick, Rim, 85%. For better results on the 2Box snare pad hit closer to the 2Box logo to get the rimshot and further to get the sidestick sound. This option requires the Velocity Curve setting to be enabled.

The new "Minimum" settings to set a minimum amount of samples to keep when removing duplicates are set to a minimum of 10 samples by default. When "Remove duplicates" is enabled the exact duplicates are not preserved by the "Minimum" settings because those don't help to improve the playing consistency.

To upgrade from 2.0 or newer you can install the new version on top of your existing installation (your configuration won't be overwritten)

What's new:

• option to export a second articulation for the snare rim with an adjustable threshold
  • support for the Rock Warehouse SDX (Superior Drummer 2)
  • option to remove rim sounds on snare head for known VSTs with rim sounds on the top snare velocities (SD2 Metal Foundry)
  • Minimum sample limit settings to keep a minimum amount of samples when removing duplicates for VSTs with fewer samples
  • improved REAPER set up to detect BFD, SSD4 and Kontakt when they are not installed in the default folders
  • support for two zone percussions from BFD3, BFD2 and from the Rock Warehouse and Metal Foundry SDX - in case Burnin Ambition gets an e-cowbell ;)

Perico

Hi everybody!
I know it's probably not the better topic to ask this question, but be clement for this time. :)
I had my SDSE and BFD2 installed on a bootcamp partition in my MacMini and everything runs fine.
Now I've just received a new Windows 8.1 laptop and I just installed everything but I have no audio from BFD2 in standolone mode or with Reaper. For the installation I've just copied the Audio data from an external HD (my bootcamp partition was too small to copy Audio files in the MacMini HD) to the internal SSD of the laptop. Then I've installed the "BFD2_2-3-1-6_Update.exe" from the software update page of my Fxpansion account.
Is this the correct way to do it or do I have to re-install everything (Audio files included) from my DVD copy of BFD2?
Thanks!

Lustar

Hi Perico,
In BFD2 standalone, click on Options on the top left then "audio preferences". On the page that opens set the output to "all out", maybe that will work to get sound out of BFD2 on your computer. In any case you shouldn't need to reinstall the Audio files at all. You should just need the latest version of BFD2 and to set the path to your Audio data in the BFD2 Preferences. If you can't get it to work you could try installing BFD2 from the DVD (without the Audio data) then updating it to 2.3.1.6. Another thing to try is to download the latest version of the FXpansion license manager (2.0.14). Good luck!

Perico

Hi Lustar!
I've re-installed the DVD version (2.1.0.47) and it works. If I try to install the 2 updates (2.3.0.38 and 2.3.1.6) available in Fxpansion website it does not works anymore. I really do not understand what can I do. I'm gonna send and email to Fxpansion support and see what the can do for me.
Is there a problem with latest versions of BFD2 and Windows 8.1? Is there some people using the same configuration?
I've updated the licence manager and my BFD2 licence is correct. About the audio settings everything is set correctly. I've noticed that in the version that works (2.1.0.47) in Audio Devices I have "MME:Mappeur de sons Microsoft - Output" selected. (sorry my Windows is in french). In the version 2.3.1.6 I have the "All outputs" selected.
If you had the same issue and can help that would be appreciated!
thanks!

Jman

Quote from: Perico on April 25, 2014, 12:47:21 AM
Hi Lustar!
I've re-installed the DVD version (2.1.0.47) and it works. If I try to install the 2 updates (2.3.0.38 and 2.3.1.6) available in Fxpansion website it does not works anymore. I really do not understand what can I do. I'm gonna send and email to Fxpansion support and see what the can do for me.
Is there a problem with latest versions of BFD2 and Windows 8.1? Is there some people using the same configuration?
I've updated the licence manager and my BFD2 licence is correct. About the audio settings everything is set correctly. I've noticed that in the version that works (2.1.0.47) in Audio Devices I have "MME:Mappeur de sons Microsoft - Output" selected. (sorry my Windows is in french). In the version 2.3.1.6 I have the "All outputs" selected.
If you had the same issue and can help that would be appreciated!
thanks!

Maybe Lustar or someone here will be able to l help, but just FYI .... the FXpansion forum is a great place to get questions answered and help. I posted there several times when BFD3 first came out and many of us were having problems with installation, bugs, etc....
http://www.fxpansion.com/forum/index.php?&sid=7cc5cf72952fe2c71fc3cfa88d534949
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Perico

Thanks Jman! I've send a message in the BFD2 forum and the Fxpansion support. Will see!
I'll give you feedbacks.

Lustar

If you find the solution I could add it to the new FAQ. I've been compiling frequently asked questions about SDSE and anything related for the past year and it's now online:
SDSE FAQ / SDSE Manual / DrumIt Five FAQ

Perico

Fxpansion support answered me today (very good support) and my problem is solved. I had to install Asio4all! That been said the version 2.10 does not work but the 2.11 Beta 2 works fine!
http://www.asio4all.com/

Yesterday I was thinking about this ASIO topic but when I saw that BFD2 v.2.1.0.47 works and not the newer ones I thought it could be another problem! But it's really an ASIO issue.
Hope this can help other people!

Lustar

I'm glad you got it working. It's interesting that ASIO was the solution (it should work without it) but at least it works. Adding it to the FAQ now :)

vdrummer73

New to 2box and SDSE and having no luck exporting sounds.  Can anyone help?  I would be most grateful.
Details below:

Windows 8.1 Pro (update 1) 64bit
Hardware:
AMD FX6300 Six-Core 3.5GHz
RAM 32GB
ASUS Xonar DG (ASIO4All Driver)
Connected via 1/8” stereo jack to:
Onboard Audio

Software:
Full Licensed BFD3 v3.01 build 1 64bit
SDSE [Modified] Reaper v4.57/x64 Eval
SDSE Evaluation Version
ASIO4ALL_2_11_Beta2
64bit Java Version 7 Update 51 build 1.7.0_51-b3 (security Medium / disabled Mixed Code Verification / No cert checks)
dsoundtool  (not yet licensed)

What is working:
BFD is able to load all instruments/kits and I am able to hear audio
Reaper is able to load the BFD3 VSTi
With just the DW Mardi Gras Bass loaded, Reaper SDSE track levels respond when the drum is evoked in BFD
dsoundtool starts and can successfully read and create dsnd files

What’s not working:
SDSE doesn’t make it passed the “starting all steps…” message.  It almost immediately plays the ding.wav file indicating that the export is complete.  A folder gets created but nothing else happens.  I have to manually terminate the process.

Lustar

Your setup looks perfect so it has to be a small problem. It could be that the 32-bit version of Java is installed at the same time as the 64-bit version. I'm sending you a PM to investigate the issue.

Edit:
The issue was related to the mouse configuration when using a program called "X-Mouse Button Control" to set the buttons as a lefty. SDSE can work with the left and right buttons reversed using the setting found in Control Panel/Mouse but it may not work with a program that catches mouse clicks. If anyone has the same problem when using a program to change the mouse buttons setting your mouse with the left click as the main button and the right click as the secondary button should solve it.

Lustar

SDSE 2.2 is available.

This version adds support for EZdrummer 2 and Addictive Drums 2 as well as more snare articulations for all VSTs.

What's new:

• support for EZdrummer 2 - thanks to Daniell for testing
  • support for Addictive Drums 2 and the new Fairfax Vol.1 ADpak - thanks to Daniell for testing
  • support for the Drag and Flam snare articulations for BFD2, BFD Eco and BFD3
  • support for the Ruffs (as Drag), Flam, Roll and Swirl (as Brush1) snare articulations for Superior Drummer, EZdrummer
  • support for the Flam and Roll snare articulations for the Abbey Road series
  • support for the Drag, Flam, Brush and Rod (as Brush2) snare articulations for Drumasonic 2 and Drumasonic Luxury
  • support for the Drag snare articulation for Steven Slate Drums 4
  • support for the Brush Sweep (as Brush 1, Brush 2 and Drag) snare articulations for the Modern Jazz Addictive Drums ADpak
  • support for the Roll and Beach Towel (as Brush1) snare articulations for DrumMic'A

drum-de

Dear Lustar,

I bought your program a few weeks ago und I already produced a lot of DSNDs. Congratulations!
This peace of software is just incredible. Thanks to all the new features every DSND is so much better than the ones I previously produced before without your program.

SDSE + Drumit5 is just a perfect combination. A must have.

Thanks again!

Drum-de

Lustar

Hi drum-de,
Thanks a lot for your feedback, it's really appreciated! :)

Gitarcisavas

Lustar,

I have purchased the SDSE this week. I was using  VST drums with a midi cable. I thought the only benefit would be having those kits ready on 2box module. But the playing experience has changed greatly. It feels much more natural.
SDSE is so fast and very organized. It's so easy to use. I export kits just to see how it will sound, even though I know I am not going to keep them.
My 2box has evolved. I love it even more now.

Thanks for this great tool.
Savas.