SDSE: export drum VSTs to .wav, .dsnd and .dkit in 1-click

Started by Lustar, November 23, 2012, 10:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you be interested in a Mac version of SDSE? (only vote if you are a Mac user)

Yes, a Mac version is a must for me
I would but I already use the Windows version on my Mac or notebook
No, free solutions like Boot Camp or VirtualBox are enough, keep the focus on supporting VSTs

Lustar

The message suggests that Reaper couldn't load Superior at all, was Superior Drummer loaded in Reaper at any point when you tried? Superior needs to be loaded in Reaper, not running as a standalone program. If you are on 64-bit Windows and use the 64-bit version of Reaper you'll need to install Superior with the small installer that is available on their website to get the 64-bit version of Superior. You may also want to to check that Reaper knows where to find your VST plugins (press CTRL+P in Reaper, scroll down to VST/Plugins and check the path).
You don't need to open DSoundTool before exporting, you just need to copy dsoundtool.jar in the SDSE folder.
Once you see Superior in Reaper, use the Construct menu to set up a kit (I'd recommend disabling all pieces with "none" then enabling just one kit piece for your first try) then click "All".
I'm sending you a message now with more instructions.

Jman

Quote from: stickcharmer on May 20, 2013, 12:56:24 AM
are there a good set of instructions I can follow for this? Ive read what comes with SDSE and its not providing me results. I open SDSE, Reaper project, dsoundtool and superior drummer. When I select all, SDSE tells me there is nothing to render. Looking at reaper, it says "the following effect plugin could not be loaded: VSTi (Superior Drummer 2)." Does this mean reaper is not recognizing SD?
Yes it means Reaper does not have SD2 loaded. In the left column of Reaper at the bottom there are ADD and Remove tabs. Click the Add tab. In the popup window look at All Plugins, click the VSTi category and see if Superior Drummer 2 shows up. If not check the VST category. If you find it highlight it an press OK. If not you can go to the Options category at the menu in Reaper, Preferences, VST and paths, Auto Detect. If you still have problems you can manually add SD2 by finding the path.... for example: C:\Program Files\VstPlugins64;C:\Program Files\Toontrack\Toontrack solo
and typing or pasting that into your slot by the ADD window and adding the path. 

Edit .... looks like I was typing at the same time as Lustar. He'll get you on the right path :)
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

stickcharmer

this pops up when I start reaper:

The following effects were in the project file and are not available. REAPER will keep their configurations, but things may not sound as desired.

Track 1: VSTi: Superior Drummer 2 (Toontrack) (32 out)
   Track 1: VSTi: EZdrummer (Toontrack) (16 out)
   Track 1: VSTi: BFD2 (FXpansion) (32 out)
   Track 1: VSTi: BFD Eco (FXpansion) (22 out)
   Track 1: VSTi: Addictive Drums (XLN Audio) (16 out)
   Track 1: VSTi: Kontakt 5 (Native Instruments GmbH) (16 out)

Lustar

It means Reaper couldn't load any of those VST instruments supported by SDSE. You just need to set up the path to your VST plugins in Reaper. Press CTRL+P in Reaper to open Preferences, scroll down to VST/Plugins, click "Add" and browse to your VST path (most likely C:\Program Files\VstPlugins). The next version of SDSE I've been working on this weekend will make it easier (it will configure Reaper so you won't have to).

stickcharmer

Thanks again. Ill look into this and see. perhaps a reinstall of SD is needed. Ive set the path but keep getting the same issues. It does not appear in reaper. Could it perhaps be that I have not purchased a license for reaper? I have mine for SDSE, btw.

stickcharmer

Well its getting me further, but stopping at:

"Couldnt read temporary SDSE preset."

Lustar

You should not need to reinstall Superior, unless you need the 64-bit version. The evaluation version of Reaper is complete so that can't be the problem.
Please send me a mail (in my profile or the contact form on lustark.com), I'm sure we'll get it working in no time :)

Lustar

There isn't. The best way to use SDSE if you don't have a PC at hand is to use Windows with Boot Camp or in a virtual machine on your Mac. Else, a small netbook with at least 1GB of RAM can be enough to export.

Dr.Skins

Oh ok I have a hp laptop kicking around here with 4GB of RAM needs a new HDD uhg. I been trying to just connect my mac to my module and run ssd4 on reaper but I'm a noob when it comes to the Edrum scene.

stickcharmer

One quick thing, and I remind you all that I am new to this, but does it seem as though the dsnds from SD are sounding a little thin from the 2box. They sound right where I want them in SD, I run SDSE and load into 2box and then they sound off from the originals. Im using the same headphones to monitor SD as I do on my 2box. Perhaps more eq tweaking in Reaper before I transfer them?

Lustar

It's a very good question and I'm also interested into what others think about this. As far as I know the consensus seems to be that any .wav file converted to .dsnd does sound a little different than it does on a computer. To test it you can extract the .wav from a .dsnd you exported and play it using Audacity or a similar tool. It will most likely sound a bit different than the .dsnd played with the module. There could be several reasons for this and I suspect they can add up.
- it's possible that increasing the volume of the pads in the UNIT settings results in a sound that is a bit closer to what you hear on the computer.
- it's possible that the module adds its own EQ.
- it's possible that the default EQ in SD2 is quite different from the one used for stock 2box .dsnd (so playing your own .dsnd after a stock .dsnd could make it appear darker or brighter).
- the source could also make a difference. When listening through headphones, if you plug the headphones directly on the module it's possible that it doesn't sound the same as the same headphones plugged in a headphone amplifier (it could even sound worse on the computer).
A good solution is to tweak the EQ in the VST before exporting. You can export several versions of the same toms and use the "Preset" field in SDSE to append something to the .dsnd filenames like EQ1, EQ2. Another solution would be to have a different SD card for sounds from a particular VST and use different EQ settings on the module itself.

tower of p

Quote from: Lustar on May 21, 2013, 05:17:02 PM
There isn't. The best way to use SDSE if you don't have a PC at hand is to use Windows with Boot Camp or in a virtual machine on your Mac. Else, a small netbook with at least 1GB of RAM can be enough to export.

hey pals,

does anyone have experience with using sdse on a mac via parallels? does it work as good as in bootcamp?

cheers,
lutz

stickcharmer

Do you know if SDSE reads the eq on single instruments or channel 1/2 out? Trying to decide if I should add an eq on the out and "bass" is up a little.