SDSE: export drum VSTs to .wav, .dsnd and .dkit in 1-click

Started by Lustar, November 23, 2012, 10:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you be interested in a Mac version of SDSE? (only vote if you are a Mac user)

Yes, a Mac version is a must for me
I would but I already use the Windows version on my Mac or notebook
No, free solutions like Boot Camp or VirtualBox are enough, keep the focus on supporting VSTs

Lustar

Hi norseman,
I can only repeat what I have said to a fellow MAC user here, the good news is that it is possible to run it on Mac. I'm sending you a PM with a short guide.

Lustar

SDSE 2.4 is available.

The new version adds support for all kits from Analogue Drums (Kontakt) as well as batch convert for wav kits.

Analogue Drums kits with the SDSE add-ons to select kit pieces to export

Analogue Drums
  • Big Mono 1.70
  • Big Mono Redux 1.72
  • BlackSmith 1.01
  • Bombastix 1.02
  • Boxer 1.02
  • BuckShot 1.70
  • FatStacks 1.85
  • Gorilla 1.17 Keyboard
  • Grandioso 1.70
  • KingPin 1.80
  • MonoTown 1.50
  • Pizazz 1.01
  • Plastique 1.80
  • PopSticks 1.72
  • PopSticks SC 1.72
  • RockStock 1.72
  • RockStock SC 1.72
  • Royale 1.01
  • Smoker 1.00
  • SnareCity 1.72
  • SplitSticks 1.70

Kontakt Player
The kits from Analogue Drums are not compatible with the free Kontakt Player. It's still possible to export with some restrictions:
- only one kit piece at a time
- the HiHat can't be exported
- Options/General: set Export Mode to "Medium".
- Options/Zones: uncheck Snare Rim, set Tom Rim to "No", set Crash Bell to "No". To export the Snare Rim, check Snare Rim and uncheck Snare Head

Batch convert from wav kits
This version can be used to batch convert wav files to dsnd even if they are already split in separate files with one sample per wav file:
- Always keep backups of your WAV files
- Copy your WAV files in the "SDSE Sounds" folder
- Optional, when building from separate WAV files (each WAV file containing a single layer):
     Sort all files in folders: "SDSE Sounds\tom1" folder with all WAV samples for tom1, "SDSE Sounds\tom1 rim" folder with all Rim samples.
- Optional: add instrument names ("SDSE Sounds\tom1 - name.wav" or "SDSE Sounds\tom1 - name\file1.wav"
- Click Convert

Note: if the folders don't contain any zone name (kick1, tom1) SDSE will ask for confirmation to convert each folder to an individual single zone dsnd

main changes since 2.3.1
  • support for all Analogue Drums kits (Kontakt) - thanks to Geir
  • support for SSD4 Blackbird - thanks to eyerichards
  • support for BFD Sonic Reality EpiK DrumS - thanks to Jman
  • support for BFD Peter Erskine
  • export foot splash for SSD4 hihats
  • workaround for bug in Superior Drummer 2.4.2 and newer (can't overwrite preset even if the file doesn't exist)
  • Convert: can process wav files without converting to dsnd
  • Convert: can batch convert wav files to individual single zone dsnd files without renaming them with a zone name first
  • Convert: can batch convert folders of wav files to dsnd files, with zone names ("\tom1 - name", "\tom1 rim - name") or without zone names (each folder to a single zone dsnd)
  • fixed a potential issue with Addictive Drums 1.5.7 - thanks to Endre
  • improved REAPER docker position for transparent taskbar and taskbar set to desktop left, top or right

Coda

I am interested in sdse as a new 2box user, but as most other musicians I know, I am also a Mac user. I am also a programmer with experience in java and so im also interested to know what is the problem with releasing a Mac version if your code-base is java? Is it that you don't have access to a Mac for testing, hate Apple, or something else?

fankelomia

Awesome software!

I am using it with Win7 in a Parallels VM and (so far only) BFD3. I also have BFD3 installed on the Mac and can easily share the content thus only have to install expansions once.
I am also working on a solution where BFD3 will use the same location for self created kits and presets in Windows and OSX so i can prepare kits with BFD3 on the Mac and use the VM to export them for 2box.
Windows and OSX don't have to use the same location, it's just less clicking and searching for files...

Lustar has maybe the best support i have ever seen, wether it's regarding his own software, the VST or even the OS used!

Without SDSE i wouldn't have considered switching to 2box...

Lustar

Coda: as much as I'd like to please everyone some of the tools used for SDSE are not available on Mac (I'm sending you a PM)

fankelomia: Thanks for the feedback! :)

digitalDrummer

Wow! Here's hoping Coda can help bring this over to the bright side.

Coda

Thanks for your encouragement, but I was told that SDSE uses libraries that are not available on the mac. I will follow up with Lustar to see if the offending libs are open-source, as I have experience building linux c/c++ programs from source on Mac. Anyway, I'm going to try drumit manager in crossover when I have more time and report back.
I just bought SDSE so I'm going to be spending the next few hours trying, buying, and exporting VSTs...

Lustar

SDSE 2.4.1 is available.

This version adds support for more BFD packs and linked pieces in BFD3 and BFD2 ("Link to" feature of BFD, can be used to combine several instruments of the same type into one .dsnd)

As usual, your license files will work with the new version and it's possible to update by installing directly on top of the previous version.

Thanks again to everyone for the feedback!

Main changes since 2.4:

• support for the BFD expansion packs Oblivion, Heavy, Sabian Digital Vault, Signature Snares 1 & 2, Sphere, DrumDrops Slingerland - thanks to Jman, Johannes and Steven!
  • BFD3, BFD2: support exporting linked pieces
  • improved reading kit information when the sound library is on a network drive or a drive shared with Parallels - thanks Brett
  • improved loading DSoundTool when the wrong version of Java is installed
  • tooltips with instrument names for all add-ons (Kontakt Native Instruments Abbey Road, Analogue Drums, DrumMic'a)
  • improved Analogue Drums BlackSmith and FatStacks add-on display
  • Options/Zones: Rim Switch can be used with DrumMic'a
  • warning for older unsupported version of BFD2 (2.1.0.47)
  • Convert/Render: Groove playing is disabled for BFD2 and BFD Eco

atldoc

No....Thank you Lustar!!! You have been both a blessing and a tremendous help with your AMAZING support!

Mad love bro!

Brett

:patbat2box:

tmoney

Ive been having an issue with my dsnd kit. Ive been getting rouge tom hits. Even when switching kits ill still get random hits. Evenutally have to just turn it off to fit. Anyone else with this issue

Lustar

Does it happen with all kits exported with SDSE or also other .dsnd files? If it was exported from BFD2 make sure to disable any MIDI groove before exporting (the latest versions of SDSE disable it). I'm sending you a PM to investigate!

Edit: case hopefully closed :) The .dsnd with double hits were detected using DKit Manager and repaired with DSound Tuner by applying a maximum length. The next version of DKit Manager will have the new feature added today: Report > "Sounds All" to check all the .dsnd files (even those not used in the Kit Bank). It will also list the .dsnd with bad samples (cut samples and double hits tagged with "!check" in the report).

Lustar

SDSE 2.4.2 is available.

This version adds support for more sound libraries, thanks to Till and Jman.
If you have a sound library that is not listed as supported please contact me.

Shut Down after Export
It is now possible to adjust the delay, between 1 minute and 24 hours.
The shut down can be enabled or set to happen only once.
A warning message is displayed before exporting so that the shut down option can never be left enabled by mistake.

Main changes:

• support for the Metal Machinery SDX
  • support for DrumDrops BFD Rogers Big R Dub Kit
  • improved Shut Down after Export option with delay setting and warning message.

Jman

Thanks for all your hard work Lustar! You really enhance the 2Box experience! :patbat2box:
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Coda

Thanks for implementing the shutdown changes! I won't get caught by this again (even though I've since moved to a VM)

Lustar