SDSE: export drum VSTs to .wav, .dsnd and .dkit in 1-click

Started by Lustar, November 23, 2012, 10:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you be interested in a Mac version of SDSE? (only vote if you are a Mac user)

Yes, a Mac version is a must for me
I would but I already use the Windows version on my Mac or notebook
No, free solutions like Boot Camp or VirtualBox are enough, keep the focus on supporting VSTs

dj_porter

I have 2 problems with this software:
1) If I open a wav sample and try to make it multilayer the program is not doing nothing, do I need to buy it to make it works? in demo version have any function working?
2) I tried for 3 days to make XLN audio ad drums (I have the main vst plus 5 banks) and Reaper (Included with this software) is not recognizing ad drums vst , i tried everything, and nothing, change the dll location, rename the dll, put the installation folder inside reaper....nothing...zero
cheers

Lustar

1) SDSE doesn't have a menu to open a wav sample, it's used to export pieces or full kits from a VST to wav or dsnd, to create .dkit files from a VST or to convert existing wav files to dsnd.
To convert your wav samples you don't need SDSE, you can use DSoundTool. SDSE can be used to convert many wav files to .dsnd using DSoundTool if you place your wav file in the "SDSE Sounds" folder and if you name it using one of the zone names found in the SDSE REAPER project (like kick1.wav). Place your wav files in the "SDSE Sounds" folder, make sure they are named using zone names (kick1.wav, snare1.wav + snare1 rim.wav), and click "dsnd". It will then use DSoundTool to convert your batch of wav files.

The evaluation version of SDSE has all of the features of the full version except that it's limited to exporting one default kit from each VST and can't export or convert cymbals and hats. Everything else is working including the DrumIt Five Editor add-on.

2) the most likely explanation would be if you're using Windows 64-bit but don't have the 64-bit version of Addictive Drums installed. With the evaluation of SDSE you can export the Kick, Snare and Toms from the Sonor Designer kit of Addictive Drums.

I'm sending you a PM with more information

dj_porter

I get (with superior drummer tucked in the list but the interfase closed) Reaper: set up regions to be rendered.
If I open the Superior drummer interface with a kit in it I get "Error : VST must match Reaper (32 or 64 Bit)

cheers

Lustar

SDSE 2.0 is available.

This version adds support for BFD3, configuration menus and duplicate sample removal.

all default settings are recommended, you don't need to change anything to start exporting.

Duplicate samples can be removed to get smaller .dsnd with the same quality. In some cases we now have 1:1 export for some VSTs like BFD3, BFD2, BFD Eco, Superior Drummer 2 and EZdrummer.
It is now possible to set a maximum amount of samples for each instrument type when converting to .dsnd. If there are more samples than the limit after duplicates have been removed, more samples will be removed until it matches the limit.

Another improvement is the velocity curve setting:
- Vol 2Box Editor (default): same curve as the DrumIt Five Editor, based on sample volume, maintains sample order.
- VST: uses values from the VST, maintains sample order.
Set it to 2Box DR1-3 or VST DR1-3 for quieter softer hits (better dynamic range).
Disable it to let DSoundTool manage the velocities, based on sample volume.

The DrumIt Five Editor and DSoundTool sort samples by volume but it can result in what feels like a "rollercoaster" when samples are not sorted using their original order. This affects all VSTs and Addictive Drums, BFD3, BFD2, BFD Eco in particular. The new velocity curve setting always maintains the order of samples so there is a smooth progression in the tone of the sound from quiet to loud velocities. "Vol 2Box Editor" uses the same curve used by the DrumIt Five Editor, but will make exceptions to keep the order of samples.
"VST" matches what was played by the VST, with the samples in the correct order.

When exporting a Snare it is now possible to export all the extra articulations at once to separate .dsnd files (Snare Head+Rim and separate .dsnd for Snare Sidestick, Snare Edge). This will be useful for those who like to use more than two Snare articulations when playing, to easily assign a Sidestick sound to a side pad like the Roland BT-1, or to easily assign snare articulations to other snares without having to use a full .dsnd and selecting the rim zone on the module. It is also possible to export only the Snare head.

The names for the buttons have changed to be easier to understand:
All is now Export
wav is now Render
dsnd is now Convert

The first public version of SDSE was released over a year ago. Many thanks to all forum members and SDSE users for your feedback and support during this first year! :)

Here's a changelog summary since SDSE 1.0:
support for all major drum VSTs
support for small screens as low as 800x600
different export modes
duplicate samples removal
user-defined limits for each instrument type
.wav files are optimized before sending them to DSoundTool to avoid various issues
.dsnd velocities based on VST velocities
DSoundTool is launched using as much memory as the system will allow
DrumIt Five Editor add-on and configuration file to tell SDSE about a custom pad layout
installer with options to install and configure everything we need
configuration menus

To upgrade from a previous version of SDSE a fresh installation is recommended.

What's new:

• support for BFD3 - thanks to billgtx and Jman for testing
  • support for the Nick Mason and Imperial Drums BFD expansions - thanks to Marco and Jman
  • new configuration menus to change all SDSE settings without editing SDSE.ini
  • option to split .wav in multiple files when rendering or converting (lower memory requirement for DSoundTool)
  • option to remove duplicate samples (all, exact duplicates, based on frequency)
  • options to set the maximum amount of samples for each instrument type when converting
  • option to export one or all alternate Snare articulations as separate .dsnd files
  • option to use a velocity map based on VST velocities - thanks to nocturnodrummer and Marco for testing
  • prompt to improve the BFD3, BFD2 and BFD 2 "Max velocity layers" setting if it's set too low in the VST
  • improved cymbal matching when creating a .dkit from BFD2/BFD3
  • improved filenames when the same instrument is set more than once in a kit like pitched toms
  • fix for split pads displayed on regular pads for the DrumIt Five Editor add-on

Murgen

--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

Jman

Lustar really nailed it on this version. This is a Major rework of the program. Besides adding support for BFD3 .... now all the velocity layers match up with the actual samples contained in the VSTs and the velocity progression is without any roller coaster kind of spikes. Along with the other nice improvements this is definitely the best version yet.
Thanks for the great work Lustar!
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

drum-de

I would love to use SDSE for producing my own SD2.3-kits, BUT:
Only Original presets of the plugin can turned into dsnd-files. Including the panning, instruments etc. But my dsnd-files should'nt have a panning,...
I also get error messages telling me there is some clipping. I never figuered out how to avoid this.
Sometimes the program shows me tom2 is recordet. But when I open this particular dsnd-file it is a hihat, or a cowbell or a snare drum. How come?

Thank for helping!

Lustar

Quote from: drum-de on March 04, 2014, 12:39:20 PM
Only Original presets of the plugin can turned into dsnd-files. Including the panning, instruments etc. But my dsnd-files should'nt have a panning,...
The kit that is set in the VST at the moment you click "Export" will be exported, with the current settings. It can be one kit piece or several pieces or a whole kit. It doesn't need to be one of the original presets or user preset or even to be saved first.

If you don't want to have the .dsnd files already panned you just have to remove the panning from Superior Drummer 2. Go to the Mixer tab and set pan to 0 for everything (optional: save the preset with a name ending with _center for future use).
Another solution is to check "convert to Mono" in the SDSE Options. This way you wouldn't need to set the panning to center, all kit pieces will be set converted to mono. The .dsnd files will still contain stereo .wav files but the sounds will be perfectly centered.

I also get error messages telling me there is some clipping. I never figuered out how to avoid this.
The message about clipping is there to warn you that the volume was too high. When SDSE detects that there was clipping, it aborts the rendering and displays this message: "Clipping: please reduce the volume and try again". The solution is to reduce the master volume in the VST or reaper, then try again. With SD2 this can only happen with some presets, or when loading a different SDX. When it occurs, save the preset with the correct volume so that it can be exported right away next time.

Sometimes the program shows me tom2 is recordet. But when I open this particular dsnd-file it is a hihat, or a cowbell or a snare drum. How come?
The SDSE mapping is based on SD2 so if you got a wrong sound the mapping must have been changed in SD2. If you have changed the mapping in Superior (to play through MIDI) make sure to set it back to Default before exporting.

Don't hesitate to send me a mail if you need more help!

Jman

I would say user error is the most common problem with most programs and products in general.  ;)
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

drum-de

;)

The problem is sitting in front of the computer. 

Unf. I did things alread like lustar describes. There may be a mistake by having the wrong midi-set - I will check.

But how come? Converting a preset works fine, after setting the pan to "0" it doesn't work (clipping-error, missing hits on toms,...)  I will try further and will tell how i solved the miracle.

I'am so interested in this SDSE-thing because the dsnd-file are much smaler than the ones I produced (very time consuming) with the first known method, using Louis Soundtool and Toontrack Solo.

Lustar

It's possible that setting the pan to 0 would increase the overall volume of some kit pieces, but in this case, reducing the master volume in SD2 will always work to avoid clipping.

drum-de

Dear fellows, everything became so clear -I needed just one hint from you.
During the process of adjusting a kit it has been saved by me. It has been saved with my DrumIt-MIDI-map. Now I know that this has been the mistake.
Today I did everything I already did before but without saving with my MIDI-map and it worked just perfect.
No error messages, no missing sounds. I was able to produce nice sounding kits and they do not need to much space on my 4GB-card.

Thank you so much for your excellence und of course for your offer to help me online!

You really rock!

tower of p

Hey Lustar,

looks GREAT, I´m looking forward to trying the new version as soon as I can make time for it...! Thanks for all the work you put in it and in the support (which is outstanding!!)!

BTW, how´s the Mac-version proceeding ? ;) (pls dont feel pushed, just asking out of interest...)

Best, rock on,
Lutz

Lustar

I'm glad you got it working drum-de :)

It's good to hear from you tower of p! I'm afraid the possibility of a Mac version is still far away, for now the best way for Mac users is still to use Boot Camp or VirtualBox.

SDSE 2.0.4 is available.

SDSE can now produce .dsnd that can be tuned up on the module. The new "Max tune up" setting in SDSE is similar to the one found in the DrumIt Five Editor. It can be adjusted to be able to tune the .dsnd up, from 1 to 12 semitones. This setting is disabled by default because it can degrade the sound quality, especially with settings higher than 4. When disabled it is still possible to tune down the .dsnd on the module.

What's new:

• "Max tune up" option when converting to .dsnd, similar to the DrumIt Five Editor
  • option to disable the snare head when exporting, to allow exporting only the extra articulations as separate .dsnd without exporting the main snare
  • the evaluation version can now export all kicks and snares from Drumasonic 2 and Drumasonic Luxury
  • support for the sidestick open, sidestick muted (mapped to "mute") and edge snare articulations from Drumasonic 2 and Drumasonic Luxury
  • fixed floor tom mapping for the Studio Drummer Garage kit
  • fixed Bow Tight and Edge Tight setting for SD2/AD
  • fixed Bow for crash cymbals from the BFD3 sound library
  • fix for SSD4 (couldn't load map or save preset)