News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

2box stock sounds vs. Roland td 20 and td 30 Vexed kits

Started by hemiboy, May 05, 2014, 09:42:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemiboy

Pretty sure I know the answer to this question but here goes! For those of you who owned  or still own Roland td 20 and td 30 vexed . Are the sounds significantly better than stock Roland  sounds and are they even close to the realistic sounds of 2 box? I know for a fact that several  serious Roland guys here and v Drum forum, sold their kits and or modules to go for 2 box

Jman

Yeah, I've posted about this several times. I owned the TD-20 then TD-20X (after Roland Expansion board TDW-20) and every VEX pack that was available. Added a 2Box module side by side. I've also played the TD-30 on several occasions. The difference in the Real, VST quality sounds with the 2Box was such a drastic improvement over the synthetic Roland drum sounds it was a no brainer to go with 2Box. Especially when you create 2Box dsnd kits from VST software. Plus, as an example, if you want to add a nice new Vistalite kit or a DW kit, etc ..... you don't have to use a synthetic kit that has been tweaked to attempt to sound like one of those kits ..... if you don't have what you want in the 2Box module .... you can pick a Real Vistalite kit, or DW kit from multiple choices from various VST software and build/load that into your module and play the Real thing. Same thing for percussion parts, Roto-toms, etc. etc.
Open sound source is the best choice out there IMO, I'm glad that is how the 2Box is set-up.  :patbat2box:
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

hemiboy

Yeah ,J, I knew that guys like you and Dan and many others had gone the whole Roland route with Alesis before that, and just a few with Yamaha . The e drummers that seem to be the most satisfied on this and the other forums are the ones with a to e conversions with 2 box modules, hands down!

fulrmr

I have to agree with Jman here.  I've had all the modules he's mentioned. Played the TD30 and 2Box side-by-side for a year. Even the "Stock" kits before the mod and using custom built kits...the sound quality was evident. I really liked my Vexe'd Roland gear...in fact I was a dedicated fan.....and then came 2Box. I am now in the process of purging my the remainder of my Roland gear from my collection. ;)Hopefully the kit at church will be have a 2Box module soon.  :rock:

Greg the groove

I had the TD30 Roland kit. Loved it at first. I was new to E drums. Never heard of 2Box until I started perusing the drums forums. I tried it a few years ago and thought the 2Box was OK. I loved the tom sounds the best. I actually returned my first 2Box because I also didn't like the layout of the unit module itself. Mind you I just used the module and my Roland TD30 drum pads (kit) because I thought the orange 2Box kit was (and IMO still is a toy and would not have fun playing it).

Last year I discovered Jmans 32GB extender SD kit and the ability to play VST Superior Drummer sounds directly on the 2Box module with no laptop in the middle. So I bought the 2Box again. Let me say, VST drum sounds on the module ARE INCREDIBLE. Game changing stuff. The stock 2Box sounds are still IMO a bit better than TD30 sounds but man, seriously, VST sounds on the module is definitely the magic. Incredible.

I use an acoustic kit with acoustic Zildjian K cymbals and drum triggers and overhead mics as a electronic/acoustic hybrid and Im extremely happy with the best of both worlds.

So happy in fact that I have a whole set of Roland MG cymbals and VH13 that are in perfect condition and only used for about 6 months Id like to unload and sell and a 5 piece Jobeky kit and Hart snare Im looking to sell shortly if anyone is interested. Its literally in almost new condition.

hemiboy

Hey Greg, Good to hear you are still vertical. Where you been hiding? I have a buddy of mine who has some interest in a diamond or jobeky kit. For whatever reason he looks at installing triggers and meshes on the same par as splitting an atom. Anyway, of you get a chance in the next couple of days , PM send me sizes, pics, and your bottom dollar for you jobeky kit. We are in USA in nj 07444 zip code