News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Hihat problem

Started by rcbirk21, September 14, 2012, 02:30:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcbirk21

Hey guys-

I am new to the forum, and I just got my first edrum kit. I had dave from diamond electronic drums make me up a beauty and am using a couple 2box cymbals, hihat, and module. I got everything working very well except for the hihat. I used dave's tips on setting it up and it is better, but still no where near fully playable. I am sure it is something i am doing wrong or not doing, so I was wondering if you guys might be able to give me some tips for setup of the 2box hihat. I have a yamaha 650 hihat stand, so nothing special but should do the job just fine. There are two main problems i am having. The first is that when the hihat is closed, the module doesnt recognize half of my hits on the top of the hihat. The other is trying to do the open/close with a stick hit (i am not sure what it is called, but its the rave beat). I cant get consistent trigering, and I have tried messing with the gain and theshold but it hasnt really helped. Can anyone be of assistance?

Murgen

0. Congrats, I do hope you enjoy your 2 Box just as much as I enjoy mine.

1. Try to read the manual.

2. Have you already calibrated the hihat? It should be done every time you change something on the hihat.

3. Just like calibrating the hihat the module has settings to improve sensitivity and other stuff.

The hihat is the hardest part of an e-drum. It is very personal but just tweak your gain and treshold until you are satisfied. And some stuff just cannot be reproduced or need a wee bit of adjustment of your timing.

By the way, check if the nut and bolt to fasten the hat on your standard are inserted in the right way. The other way around your hat can slip.
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

rcbirk21

well after watching some youtube demos of the kit, i think there may be something else wrong. I am not really getting a consistant response with the stick on the hihat with the pedal pressed down...i wonder if I have the physical setup with the bottom sensor correct, or even if there is a defect in my hihat. Anyone know of a good way to check both of those problems?

drum-de

try also to reduce gain of the pad. 4 seems to be a good number.

greetz

rcbirk21

gain at 4 and threshold at around 30 was giving best results, but it still seems like the hihat ticks just arent registering with the drum stick. How is the small magnet mounted to the hihat stand? mine is just sitting on there, does it need to be secured somehow?

fishmonkey

the magnet is for the pedal height sensing, and is meant to just sit there on the top of your stand.

if you are losing hits, you need to lower the threshold, not raise it. if you are still losing hits with the threshold set at its minimum, then maybe you do have a faulty hihat. is the module registering any hits?

regarding the open/close hihat playing, some adjustment in playing technique is usually required, as the triggering is much less forgiving than a real hihat...

rcbirk21

i adjusted the threshold to minimum and it is still missing hits, but not all of them. It is mostly missing the stick hits with the hihat closed now. Is there a setting that would affect that or a way to check if my hihat is faulty?

Murgen

Check your cable as well. If the jacks are not fully inserted you miss a part. Had that with my snare.
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012