News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

which audio interface and headphone?

Started by alpererdogan, April 09, 2012, 01:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alpererdogan

Hi All,

I have just got my 2 box today and didnt buy any audio interface and headphone yet.
I am just wondering which audio interface and headphone that you are using for recording?
Or which products that you can recommend?

0$<budget<= 300$

:patbat2box:

edtc

Hi

Any cheap USB audio interface with MIDI in/out and 1 (or more) stereo input will do the trick ... check FOCUSRITE , M-AUDIO , ROLAND ... they have products around 150 dollars  or even  lower on the second hand market

Put your money on good closed headphones with impedance lower  than 100 ohm (the lower it is , the more power you have)..

Beyerdynamic , Ultrasone , Audiotechnica have good products around 200 dollars ...

Rider

I Can recommend the focusrite saffire pro 14 and the sony's mdrv6
both will set u arround 250-300

stay away from the presonus firebox and cheap m-audio stuff

alpererdogan

How about Fostex T40RP? It seems good for e-drum... i can not decide for audio interface and i will wait a little more...

alpererdogan

Quote from: Rider on April 09, 2012, 10:18:43 PM
I Can recommend the focusrite saffire pro 14 and the sony's mdrv6
both will set u arround 250-300

stay away from the presonus firebox and cheap m-audio stuff

Thanks for your response but i need USB interface and i suppose focusrite 14 has only FireWire... how about focusrite pro 6 ? It has USB interface.

Rider

sorry i dont have any experience with usb-audio devices , but if its for a pc and not a laptop i would be loocking at pci or pci-e cards that are cheaper and better than external ones

geo

If you can stretch the budget a little, you can pick up an 8-in/2-out from ebay like the ionix u82s (http://lexiconpro.com/product.php?id=169) for a bit more - physical volume control for each output is so much nicer than going menu-hopping...

Or just get a MIDI-USB i/o adapter for $20, record midi from the brain, and then record the sounds from the brain through the mic/line in on your soundcard when you play the midi recording back to it.

waxdass

Bumping this topic -

I also have bought a Lexicon IO-82 interface unit (found it cheap online).

Now how would I use it with the 2box? connect via MIDI only or with the separate outputs?
The lexicon has 8 TRS MIC/Line.

Whats the best way to set this up - 2box to Lexicon to PC ?

edtc

you can do it many ways ...

I would recommend to record audio & midi simultaneously , so you can modify the sounds later if needed ....  or make some fixings in the midi track before bouncing to audio

personally , i would record a stereo out , so you have a "draft track" to work with , and re record during the mix ... this way you can even record more than 8 separate tracks , by doing 2 passes .

For connections , just use a good quality Jack loom...

waxdass

Care to post a link of what type of loom I should purchase?

It would be TS or TRS? jacks from 2box and XLR to Lexicon... but are they male or female?

edtc

edtc

you will also need this to split the headphone out to 2xmono output ( 7 & 8 )

http://www.musicstore.de/fr_FR/FRF/Accessoires/Adaptateurs/Music-Store-Ad.-2xjack.mono/1x-jack.st-r-o-2xfemelle-/1x-6-3mm/art-ACC0001535-000 

the same adapter is also ok to split the inputs ...