News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

2box & Yamaha DTX-pads

Started by Hellsh, August 16, 2012, 10:27:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hellsh

Hello all,

I am, up to this day, a fully analog drummer but now slowly seeking to make my entry to the world of electronic/digital drumming. Over the last few month I have tried a sick variety of different makes and products and now it comes down to two finalists. I am very impressed by 2box as a whole but seriously blown away by the quality and the open architecture of the brain/module.

When it comes to snare, toms and cymbals I find myself impressed too with 2box, but throughout my research I got hooked on the new silicon Yamaha DTX-pads.

Now I try to find a simple question answered, one which seems to be harder to bring to a definit resolve than one would think:

Are the new Yamaha DTX-pads compatible with the 2box brain, and if yes, to what degree?

For all first hand answers I thank you in advance

Greetings
Hellsh

digitalDrummer

I don't know for sure, but I suspect you'll have compatibility issues, especially rim and xstick. Many Yamaha drummers don't like the Yamaha pads, so not sure why you would choose them for 2box. There are many DIY trigger options, especially if you already own an acoustic kit and want to convert it. Check out digitalDrummer for some of the options.
Good luck on your e-drum journey.

Hellsh

Quote from: digitalDrummer on August 17, 2012, 06:09:25 AM
I don't know for sure, but I suspect you'll have compatibility issues, especially rim and xstick. Many Yamaha drummers don't like the Yamaha pads, so not sure why you would choose them for 2box. There are many DIY trigger options, especially if you already own an acoustic kit and want to convert it. Check out digitalDrummer for some of the options.
Good luck on your e-drum journey.

Thank you for your reply, digitalDrummer.

As mentioned in my original post, I am new to the digital drumming world. Why would playing xstick be a problem? I somehow think you are not actually talking about the physical posture/grip?

Also, I am not a Yamaha drummer nor do I intend to convert one of my acoustic kits to an e-drum. I seek a stand alone solution. <Edit: it just stroke me as possible that you might confuse the pads I am talking about. This is what I talk about: http://dtxdrums.yamaha.com/products/dtxdrums/dtx950k/ >

Without intention to defend or advertise Yamaha here, but the new DTX silicon pads have received a large amount of extremely favorable reviews. From my own experience I can say that I find them extremely comfortable and fun to play. The DTX950 series brain unfortunately does not deliver what I seek, nor can I make friend with the horrid quality of the samples. So I seek a way to combine the two best things that seem to serve its purpose best.

Regards
Hellsh

digitalDrummer

Cross-stick is the sound you get when you hit the rims across the drum. In e-drums,w e're not talking about the technique, but rather the equipment's capability to detect and play the appropriate sounds. It takes a special kind of sensing to trigger those sounds, and I don't think Yamaha pads support X-stick detection on non-Yamaha modules. In other words, your 2box module won't know you're playing cross-stick.

Jman

The Yamaha Silicon pads will NOT be compatible with the 2Box module. 2Box snare and tom pads are Piezo/Piezo style pads. Yamaha Silicon (DTX) pads are Piezo/Switch/Switch. So only one zone ... the head of the Yamaha pads would work. Yamaha 3 zone pads are really only plug n play with Yamaha sound modules..... as Allan was indicating above. 
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Hellsh

Thank you all, for your informations. I very much apreciate it. I guess I will go for a full 2box system then.

Krillo

I'd just like to chime in, as an acoustic drummer for 20+ years, I must say the Yamaha DTX pads feel great. But they are not compatible with 2box. They have centermounted piezo and a sheet swith for the rim. (I kindly got the service manual pdf from Yamaha). Mesh don't work for me on the snare  :-\