News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Any way to trigger 2 different sounds from 1 pad?

Started by marcokiss, June 20, 2012, 03:38:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marcokiss

Is there any easy way to simultaneously trigger 2 different sounds from one pad, for example snare + clap ? If not, does anyone know a way to overlay layers of 2 different sounds to achieve the same result?
Thanks

digitalDrummer

I did this quite often inadvertantly while making my own DSNDs from VST samples. When you've got two sounds on the same MIDI note, that's what you get.
The only way I can imagine doing this is splitting the DSNDs going through DSoundTool, then merging samples for each layer manually with a programme like Audacity, and then rebrewing the DSNDs using the new samples.

geo

Using one drum pad, you can just assign one sound to the rim and one to the head. This only works if you can consistently pull off a rimshot though.

fishmonkey

you could also split the output from the snare and use two trigger inputs on the module...

digitalDrummer

Quote from: fishmonkey on June 21, 2012, 11:58:53 PM
you could also split the output from the snare and use two trigger inputs on the module...
Way more sensible than my suggestion!! Good one.

Rider

easiest way for me would be connecting the kit to a vst like superior. Then u can have 20 sounds if u want on just 1 hit

cheers

Jman

Quote from: digitalDrummer on June 20, 2012, 04:52:14 AM
I did this quite often inadvertantly while making my own DSNDs from VST samples. When you've got two sounds on the same MIDI note, that's what you get.
I ran into that also, at first as an unwanted cymbal sound on top of a snare I was recording while in Reaper. Turns out I had SSD4 and Superior Drummer 2 both running and different instruments with the same note no. in the 2 programs.

This did eventually lead to some DSND experimenting though ..... I assigned a snare from both SSD4 and SD2 the same note, played and recorded the 2 snares layered together. Besides the gazillion samples I already have at my disposal this just opened up a whole new area. Not only can you build dsnds from different instruments layered together, you can do it running completely different VST programs simultaneously ....
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

digitalDrummer

A bit off topic and really for those playing VSTS, not brewing DSNDs, but the beauty of DAWs like Reaper is that you can actually mix and match instruments. You can, for example, run a Studio Drummer kit and mute the snare and ride in Kontakt, open a Superior Kit, solo the snare and then solo a ride from Addictive (provided you're not running instruments on the same MIDI number). Reaper is also great for quick kit switches - you simply load a bunch of kits on separate tracks and solo the one you want.