News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

2box + superior drummer + Mac + Hammer?

Started by lee_whitehead, June 25, 2012, 05:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lee_whitehead

OK, now I admit to being a bit of a luddite when it comes to Midi - the closest I ever got before to anything other than acoustic instruments was plugging in the guitarists amps...

Anyway, I have been trying to get my 2box kit working with Superior Drummer 2.0 but no luck... 5 days and counting.

I have:
- 2box kit
- Superior Drummer
- Reaper
- Midi to USB cable
- Midi Monitor

No matter what I do I am getting nothing and the manuals/youtube dont help either...

Is there a definitive guide to getting this setup somewhere? any pointers or tips?

thanks

digitalDrummer

Is you Mac seeing your MIDI device?
Does Superior load into Reaper?
You probably need to give us a bit more detail about how far you have got and where you have stalled.
I'd start on the Reaper forum, where there is good information.

lee_whitehead

Hi DD,

Thanks for replying!

Yes, the Mac recognises the Midi device and I can select it as a midi source in reaper, it comes up as "USB MIDI Interface" - after that I can load Superior Drummer into Reaper and it drops a load of channels onto the tracking.

The problem I appear to have is that when I hit the drums, I get nothing through into superior drummer, the only thing that reaper appears to be picking up is sound from the internal mac microphone.

I think that the software is all installed properly, its either just not configured right to see the 2box signals, or something else, and I cant seem to solve it!

Baby Samus

Hey man try this.  In Superior, go to the kit view and click on the instrument you want to trigger, for instance the snare.  Then click the Learn button, then hit the pad you want to trigger the snare sound.  Superior should automatically assign it in midi.  Also make sure the sound is outputting through your PC to the speakers/headphones you are using as monitors.  Hope this helps...

lee_whitehead

@ Baby Samus - tried that, nothing happening - no sound coming through at all, just dead, doesnt register hits on the visual drumkit display in SD either  :-[

digitalDrummer

If you select a groove in SD, can you hear that?

lee_whitehead

Quote from: digitalDrummer on June 26, 2012, 10:31:47 AM
If you select a groove in SD, can you hear that?

ha ha, yes, my soundcard volume is up  :o

lee_whitehead

still not making any headway... any ideas peeps? please  :P

fishmonkey

using MIDI Monitor, are you seeing the incoming MIDI messages from the 2 Box module?

lee_whitehead

hi fishmonkey, nope, nothing coming in at all :-(

fishmonkey

are you sure you have plugged the USB-MIDI cable into the right port on the 2Box module?

and is the USB-MIDI cable definitely Mac compatible?

lee_whitehead

yeah, the cable seems to show up in Reaper as a USB midi option, but it just doesnt appear to be sending anything at all. Its very strange because I have tried all the ports on the back as well as most settings (that I know of) in the software.

Something is amis and its probably very simple, but a bugger to find out why.

I even tried all the settings again with the midi cables swapped over, just to make sure, but its definately still in the right place now on midi in/out

fishmonkey

does the USB-MIDI device show up in the Audio MIDI Setup app? try adding it manually if it doesn't appear.

also, using MIDI Monitor is probably the best way to determine if you've got MIDI action or not. if MIDI Monitor isn't seeing anything, then none of your other music software will either.

lee_whitehead

thanks for persisting with me on this, appreciate it a lot - just wondered about the Audio Midi Setup App? where do I find that? sorry to be a dunce

fishmonkey

it's in your Applications/Utilities folder...