News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Newbie - DIY questions

Started by Cmsdrums, October 31, 2012, 07:37:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cmsdrums

Hi all

First post here - I've hunted through the forums and can't find exactly what I need, so am asking in a new post (apologise if this info already exists, if so a link would be great!)

I've just picked up an almost new 2box, and in an attempt to get up and running ASAP (it'll take me a while to save gig money for a Diamond or Jobeky kit), I've decided to have a crack at my own triggers.  I've started with an old snare, and through useful websites like this, I've installed a cross bar, with piezos for head and rim, and have also bought Roland-esque foam cones from Quartz to complete this. I have also installed a female stereo jack plug in the airhole, so all good so far. My questions are;

1) each piezo has two wires soldered - one to the ceramic centre and one to the edge. For the head piezo, do I solder the centre lead to the jack shield and the edge one to the tip?
2) similarly, for the rim piezo, do I solder ceramic centre to shield, and edge to ring?
3) once I do this does anyone have any recommended starting settings for the triggers (gain, trigger type etc etc) - I am using a Roland 14" mesh head and am quite a solid rock hitter.
4) will a Yamaha stereo jack to jack cable connect the drum to the 2box ok?

If I get some joy with my snare build I aim to convert my whole kit, so any help I can get up front from the experts here is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Cmsdrums

edtc

Quote from: Cmsdrums on October 31, 2012, 07:37:13 PM
Hi all

1) each piezo has two wires soldered - one to the ceramic centre and one to the edge. For the head piezo, do I solder the centre lead to the jack shield and the edge one to the tip?

2) similarly, for the rim piezo, do I solder ceramic centre to shield, and edge to ring?

NO , EDGE TO SHIELD (for both piezos ...) , AND CENTER TO THE TIP FOR THE HEAD SENSOR  AND TO THE RING FOR THE RIM SENSOR .....

4) will a Yamaha stereo jack to jack cable connect the drum to the 2box ok?  YES

You can also have a look at this post , where i explained the way i did my best responding DIY pad for 2BOX ...

http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php?topic=1389.msg13157#msg13157

have fun and wellcome

Cmsdrums

Great - thanks for the reply; I'll switch my wiring! (Seen so many various conflicting reports so good to get such a clear answer).

I'll check out your other post

Thanks again

Chris

edtc

Quote from: logihack on January 07, 2013, 07:47:15 AM
just one question...are those triggers suitable to work with 2box module?
http://www.ebay.de/itm/6x-PRO-SENSING-e-drum-Piezo-Trigger-cone-cushion-Konus-Kegel-/270865675737?pt=Allgemeines_Musikinstrumente_Zubeh%C3%B6r&hash=item3f10da35d9

yep , those should work ....   but for 2 box modules , a center cone trigger isnt required ...  i recommand a side mounted piezo  ... the response is more even imo , and there is no positionnal sensing on our modules

You can buy ten 22mm piezos for less than 10 dollars (wires included)

the foam can be flat ... a simple round piece of hard foam ( 1 inch thick is ok )

logihack

Cmsdrums

Cheers for your help here guys.

Been a while since I last posted, but have been experimenting with some various DIY set ups since then.  I have had varying degrees of success, and whilst I was fairly pleased with my truss system (some drawer runners, rubber washers and the like!), I found I just couldn't get the sensitivity and reliability I needed, despite lots of tweaking of the 2 Box brain and different piezo placements.

I always wanted an acoustic look to my kit rather than electronic pads, and absolutely love the Galaxy Burst finish of my Mapex Meridian Maple kit and was loath to start drilling it etc.. to fit my own triggers which may not work well.

I was really pleased to recently pick up a second acoustic kit identical to mine at a great price in a local online auction, and will tomorrow be shipping this off to Diamond Drums to have triggers fitted to it, again at what I consider a really good price if I get the performance that I'm lef to believe I will.  I will then have the best of both worlds - two kits that look the same, can be set up on exactly the same stands, mounts, mat markers etc..., but one kept acoustic and one converted to use with the 2Box.

I hope to have the kit back in the next 2 weeks from Dave at Diamond, and then the real hard work will start of setting the sounds and sensitivity settings etc.. that I need to give me total confidence to take it out live.  Whilst I've not got set up yet, I must say that to date Dave has been superb in my email dealings with him over the last couple of months and answered all my annoying questions - even though I was only a prospective and not guaranteed buyer at that point. 

I will post a review and pics in the appropriate forum here once my set up is complete.

Cheers

cmssdrums