News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Which layer setting?

Started by digitalDrummer, April 17, 2012, 02:05:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

digitalDrummer

I've been doing a bit of trigger tweaking and wonder if there are any tips on choosing the "layer" setting.
In case you haven't consulted the manual:
LAYER has 3 settings.
- Variable, a certain trigger level will start a semi-random layer as
long as it is close to the trigger level.
- Fixed, a certain trigger level will always start the same layer which
best matches the trigger level.
- Top, any trigger level will start the top most layer.
In all 3 cases, the layer level will be as the trigger level.

So which is best? Obviously, "top" just gives you maximum volume for any hit, but which of the other two makes for more realistic playing?

edtc

I think as long as you have a lot of layers you could use both...   

VAR may act better with less layers DSOUNDs

FIXED can be usefull (in conjonction with MONO ) for synth-drum sounds ... Also for DSOUNDs with 2 sounds changing with the velocity  (like some bongos)

... TOP  is nice to trigger loops , samples and synth drums ... and to mimic an old machine-gunning drum machine or module...

By the way , it could be nice to have a mode acting like TOP where you could chose the velocity....

SHwoKing

Quote from: edtc on April 17, 2012, 03:31:53 AM... TOP  is nice to trigger loops , samples and synth drums ... and to mimic an old machine-gunning drum machine or module...

Some would say it is to mimic Roland modules. But I'm not that kind of people  ;)

Jman

I notice default on 2Box kits/instruments .... at least on all I looked at is Variable. It is cool they have those choices. Variable is that little extra feature that helps protect against the machine gun effect, so if you hit a bunch of rapid succession hits at same velocity the module is not picking the same sample one after the other.

On the instrument dsnds I have built I normally choose fixed. Something that is equally important IMO is that the gain setting on your module be set correctly ..... IE, if the Gain is set so only the hardest hits will trigger the highest (0) velocity you will not be triggering the highest velocity over and over. That is easy to check visually by going into the Unit page that shows the velocity level as you play the instrument. I have mine set so I really have to Peg it to reach 0, and consecutive hits are almost never triggering the exact same velocity. I think that is one of the culprits for many edrummers on snare or toms ..... Also if dsnds have plenty of different samples variable is not as critical IMO. Try it both ways. It may not make a noticable dif to you, and I am sure that this is dependent on the particular dsnds.... some may sound or behave different than others ....

Slap the drummer chooses Fixed, My simple definition of Fixed: What you hit is what you get. I know what he is describing ...  he wants his playing velocity to correspond to the sound sample's velocity .... and not get some random hit that kind of jumps out at ya! One example is SD2 .... many of the snares have a loud Rimshot type sound on the highest velocity or highest couple velocities.... so it is possible if variable is chosen to trigger that sound when you are not intending to .... Personally on those type of snares that it really stands out like a sore thumb, I go back and delete those few Rimshot type sounds at the highest velocity and build the dsnd without them ... but that is one example of how variable can work against you IMO ... J
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Jman

Quote from: SHwoKing on April 17, 2012, 05:44:10 AM
Some would say it is to mimic Roland modules. But I'm not that kind of people  ;)

That's a good one  ;D.... and in truth you probably won't get any machine gunning on the 2Box unless you choose Top.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/