News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Anyone got any questions? (Hand in Hand Distribution - UK)

Started by Scottie, July 17, 2009, 10:03:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

puttenvr

Quote from: ShanMac on May 08, 2010, 05:26:31 AM
I have narrowed my selection to the Yamaha DTX950 and 2Box Drumit Five for the reason that you are able to easily download your own samples into the brain.
The Yamaha module has very limited sampling memory

Quote1.     I hear the rack is moderately unstable.  Will the hardware clamps etc transfer to a Roland rack?  Has anyone done this?  How does the kick trigger and module mount?
The rack isn't unstable at all. That's a persistent rumour. Nevertheless the snare mount and hihat stand both can be improved. Some 2Box users did change these parts, as do many drummers with their (other) electronic and acoustic kits.

Quote2.     Does the module allow you to apply effects/compression etc to the samples once downloaded?
Not at this moment. But 2Box is working on effects, which can be added due to the open system

QuoteIf I have to apply effects to the original samples, then reverbs etc would not sound natural as they would be retriggered.
I don't get this one. But I should add effects outside the module. Also my sound engineer would appreciate this. Effects on samples always obscure the sound

5.     Not much has been said around the electronic sound banks.  The acoustic sounds I have heard are quite impressive, but are there many electronic sounds (808, 909.....but not cheesy car horns)
There are a few electronic sounds but the emphasis is on the acoustic sounds. BUT: you can put any sound in the module you want. That's the big plus to other devices.

fishmonkey

pricing in Oz is around the $4000 mark. not the best, but what can you do? it depends how important having a local warranty is to you.

ShanMac

Thanks for the responses Puttenvr and fishmonkey.

Sorry for the persistent questions:
1.  I assume the 4 gig memory is inclusive of the sounds preloaded and not additional.  
2.  Is there a limit to the individual sample length possible?
3.  Further to the question on effects/compression, have 2box indicated in any way that the addition of effects is a projected possibility?  I like the concept that the drum kit is a self contained unit and that I do not have to cart a laptop (to trigger sounds) and an effects unit.  Being a control freak, i like to apply effects before the sound engineer gets them as often they may be an important feature of the kit sound and not an embellishment.
4.  Australian retail pricing is around the $4700AUD mark.  I am going next weekend to trial (and hopefully buy) with a price of $3700.  Sounds like a reasonable deal then (thanks fishmonkey).
5.  As for the ealier triggering/effects question, if I apply a reverb effect to a sample what happens when I trigger it multiple times.  Does the sample trigger first, then when triggered again (before completing the sample length) start the sample again - or - does the first sample continue to play and subsequent triggers of the same sample will layer over the top......mmmm....I hope I am making sense.  Like a monophonic or polyphonic sample.

Thanks again

puttenvr

1. It's inclusive the preloaded samples, but you can delete them all (if u want) and start from scratch with a blanc 4 gb card
2. why would you?
3. 2Box announced a tap delay with the next software. At this time no reverbs. As I said before: sound engineers in general don't like when you add fx to the drum sounds. They want to control it them selves. Another point to consider is that I never saw a built in effect (in any synth, sampler or drum module) who was of equal quality to external units. External effect units (from a certain price point) are always better. Another point for sound engineers to use those fx and not the internal fx
5. If you add an effect to the wav file the unit will (re)trigger the whole sound over and over again. Why not? But perhaps I still don't understand your question

fishmonkey

the definitive answer to question 5 is not clear, i would email 2box directly and ask them.

some users have reported polyphony issues in this thread:

http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php/topic,345.0.html

however, it is not yet known if this is an inherent limitation of the 2Box brain or current firmware, or if it is due to the 3rd party sound editor tool not constructing the multisamples in the required format...

ShanMac

Puttenvr and Fishmonkey, thanks again for your help.  I have emailed 2Box directly to see if they can answer my questions.  I will hopefully hear from them soon.

Are you in AUS fishmonkey?  If so, whereabouts? 

Do you have a Drumit Five and if so how do you find it?  I am in Melbourne, although, heading off to Geelong (with the wife and kids) this weekend to test drive a Drumit with the prospect of buying.  Prices seem to be coming down from the $4800 originally quoted.

In my mind I have already purchased it......

fishmonkey

hey, i'm in Sydney...

i would not pay any more than $4000, which is still a healthy profit for the distributor + store...

from what i understand the RRP was initially set by the distributor at $4800, but was lowered to around $4400.

yes i do have a kit, and it's very good. there are some issues, but it sounds way better than any Yamaha or Roland kit i have tried...

ShanMac

Just got a email from Bengt answering my questions.  All is good on the technical front, not to mention some of the revisions coming in the next update.  Looking forward to a play on the weekend (with a pocket of cash ready to buy and take home!).  I'll let you know how I go.

Thanks again!

srecko

Hi! I have roland pdx pads, cy8 cymbals and vh11 hi hat with roland td4 module! I want to buy 2 box module, because  the sounds are great, so my question is:
Are roland pads compatible with 2 box module?
Thanks!

puttenvr

I don't think the hihat is compatible
You can try the cymbals whether both the cup and edge will work or not
Tom pads: no problem

PS this question is asked frequently. Perhaps we can make a sticky topic with a list of what is compatible and not. Moderator?

roel

2 questions/and again...

1: spareparts???where can I get a extra cymbal or tom? and when?
2: when can we get that mk2 rack? and will it be a complete rack?

Mixmaster5

Hi Scottie

Im new on the forum so I have some questions:
where can you write your problems or stuff like this and everybody can see my message and reply on it?
do you need an audio interface to recored with 2box or is it possible to connect with USB and record on my software(logic)
Why 2box doesent have replacement pads and cymbals?

Pleaaasss Answer Thankx  ;D

hefu

Since the drumit5 does not have to host Midi in the usb, you will have to use a Midi-interface, in order to use the drumit5 as a Midi-controller.

To get the sound in the computer I strongly advice you to buy an audio-interface.

ddrum4se

Hi Scott,

I purchased my ddrum4 se with cast precision pads from Hand in Hand and your good self back in 2002.

Its still going strong - funny old World aint it?

Scottie

Quote from: ddrum4se on October 27, 2010, 10:47:28 AM
Hi Scott,

I purchased my ddrum4 se with cast precision pads from Hand in Hand and your good self back in 2002.

Its still going strong - funny old World aint it?

Hi ddrum4se

It really is a small world indeed  ;) I am pleased to hear that your ddrum4 se is still going strong though, it is still a fantastic kit.

If you have any questions regarding the DrumIt Five, please do not hesitate to send me a PM, and i will do my best to answer them for you.

Good to hear from you.
Scott