News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

dsnd file output volume lower than original wave

Started by raptor, February 28, 2012, 03:38:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raptor

I have been experimenting on creating some dsnd files. After I import the wave file created with SD and Solo, the final finshed dsnd file volume is quieter.

Should I increase the output volume on the bounce page within SD louder even if it clips.

Jman

Quote from: raptor on February 28, 2012, 03:38:59 PM
I have been experimenting on creating some dsnd files. After I import the wave file created with SD and Solo, the final finshed dsnd file volume is quieter.

Should I increase the output volume on the bounce page within SD louder even if it clips.
For most instruments I find it benificial to raise the volume when recording in the Bounce area. I raise it till it peaks just into the max. Besides getting a nice finished volume, if you create your dsnd with DSoundTool with one WAV many hits (without splitting the files out to individual hits) unless you record with a pretty high volume you will find that the lowest velocity hits may not even register, and some of the deep toms with long decays or cymbals with long decays will get the tails chopped off if volumes are too low.
One thing I have found though ... in some cases, for example, certain ride cymbals I prefer to record with volumes close to lower/SD default volumes and then split the files out to individual hits in SoundForge ... because to me the sound of certain ride bows seem more harsh when recorded at peak .... at least that is how it seemed to me.

Oh, and as far as clipping, I believe SD2 adjusts for that ... and it doesn't seem to be a worry at all.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

raptor

Thanks Jman! I'll look into making some sdjustments. I really am enjoying this module too!  :)