News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

2box or roland td-12

Started by drummer81, November 04, 2009, 07:03:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roel

Quote from: puttenvr on November 22, 2009, 08:05:42 AM
The technique on the Roland kits is NOT outdated at all. It's a best of both worlds between sampling and synth technique: modeling.
The point is that the Roland sounds are bad (esp the toms), their dynamics lame and the kits way, way overprized
But their technique is good

thats right what you are saying, but if I buy a roland set for about 6000 euro, and  I can not put samples in my drummodule I think thats a shame...roland makes real progression with the hardware but I think they must concentrate about sample functioning on the new modules.and not staying with that modeling technique. because I think a cheap roland td4 sounds almost the same as the expensive td20.

Calimero

Roland doesn't offer only 6000 euro sets.There is the td4 which has a fair price.Roland has never announced anything about loading in your own samples so that isn't something you can hold against them.2box has done that 2 or 3 years ago yet they havent cut it either.

roel

Quote from: Calimero on November 22, 2009, 10:31:21 AM
Roland doesn't offer only 6000 euro sets.There is the td4 which has a fair price.Roland has never announced anything about loading in your own samples so that isn't something you can hold against them.2box has done that 2 or 3 years ago yet they havent cut it either.

I know that roland offers cheaper sets.thats not my point. I don't like that they are stick with the modelling sounds.they always sounds the same and bad dynamics...
2box gives us an open drumsystem , with real samples and good dynamics.
but the most inportant thing about 2box they really try to make it the way, we want it and all for a fair price.

wbrs

Calimero

Quote from: roel on November 22, 2009, 11:07:06 AM
Quote from: Calimero on November 22, 2009, 10:31:21 AM

I know that roland offers cheaper sets.thats not my point. I don't like that they are stick with the modelling sounds.they always sounds the same and bad dynamics...
2box gives us an open drumsystem , with real samples and good dynamics.
but the most inportant thing about 2box they really try to make it the way, we want it and all for a fair price.

yet not so long ago you called it china poop  ???

roel

I think that the 2box rack sucks and also the hihatstand.I've played a couple of times on it and those 2 are my negative points. a realy like the pads and cymbals, and sounds ofcourse!
so maby we can mount it to a roland td12 mds stand.

Dr.Wu

Quote from: roel on November 22, 2009, 09:58:58 AM
Quote from: puttenvr on November 22, 2009, 08:05:42 AM
The technique on the Roland kits is NOT outdated at all. It's a best of both worlds between sampling and synth technique: modeling.
The point is that the Roland sounds are bad (esp the toms), their dynamics lame and the kits way, way overprized
But their technique is good

thats right what you are saying, but if I buy a roland set for about 6000 euro, and  I can not put samples in my drummodule I think thats a shame...roland makes real progression with the hardware but I think they must concentrate about sample functioning on the new modules.and not staying with that modeling technique. because I think a cheap roland td4 sounds almost the same as the expensive td20.
Sorry but that is not true. The TD20 sounds totally different from the TD-4.
You may not like their general choice of basic samples but the amount of things that you can do to a sample in the TD20 is lightyears ahead from what you can do with a TD-4 or a 2box for that matter. Think onboard DSP to compress each sound independently, EQ it or run it thru a reverb processor etc or what about positional sensing for snare f.e. or the fact that you can play sidestick by using the regular sidestick technique. Or what about playing with brushes.
In that regard the TD20 is still the top product. Is it worth 6000 euro? Not for an amateur like me but probably for drummers that work professionally and have that kind of budget.
Sure it would be nice to load your own samples -hey that was one of the reasons i bought the 2box. Lets hope they will deliver this core feature asap!

wbrs

Td20 may have all those features and still sound bad.

icesurf3r

Quote from: Dr.Wu on November 22, 2009, 12:20:40 PM
The amount of things that you can do to a sample in the TD20 is lightyears ahead from what you can do with a TD-4 or a 2box for that matter. Think onboard DSP to compress each sound independently, EQ it or run it thru a reverb processor etc or what about positional sensing for snare f.e. or the fact that you can play sidestick by using the regular sidestick technique. Or what about playing with brushes.
In that regard the TD20 is still the top product. Is it worth 6000 euro? Not for an amateur like me but probably for drummers that work professionally and have that kind of budget.

Sorry but if i'm paying £5K for a drumkit, I really wouldn't expect to have to faff around for hours on end compressing each sound individually, adding EQ or running it through a reverb processor just to get a 'good' sound!! NO!! I would expect to set it up and have great sounding drums from the get-go and this is true for the few professional drummers/percussionists I know too.

What we have in the 2box is a kit that costs £1499 with great sounds right from the off, the ability to load in user samples (this could be any sound, not just drum sounds), no machine gunning effects (unlike Rolabd) and it's less than half the price of a TD-20 and almost half the price of a TD-12.

Plus I'm sure that stuff like positional sensing and the ability to play sidestick with the proper technique could be added at a later date, if it's more to do with firmware/software rather than hardware.

Calimero

Quote from: icesurf3r on November 22, 2009, 03:41:16 PM

Sorry but if i'm paying £5K for a drumkit, I really wouldn't expect to have to faff around for hours on end compressing each sound individually, adding EQ or running it through a reverb processor just to get a 'good' sound!! NO!! I would expect to set it up and have great sounding drums from the get-go and this is true for the few professional drummers/percussionists I know too.

Well,I have seen a lot of owners of the 2box faffing around for weeks to get the kit to work.Is that ok for you since it's only 1499,-? For me it isnt.

puttenvr

The latter simply is not true.
Nobody had to struggle for weeks in order to get it work.
The system isn't perfect but the Roland td10 was perfect neither when I bought it 10 years ago

wbrs

I'm not surprised 2box has to smooth out a few wrinkles. That is expected when you're the one trying to kick the whole edrum thing up a notch.

wbrs

Look I am grateful to you guy's that bought the kit when it was first released. It showed you had faith in the company and you had done your homework, but you had to expect a few rubs along the way. I expect all these small problems will be worked out by the time it becomes available to us here in the states. It was a dirty job but someone had to do it.

micke

there no machine gunning effects on the roland td12-20 kits, have you even tried it?, or are you talking about some cheaper kit? they call it Interval Control, and works flawless! also, roland kits does not sound bad, just to "perfect" to make it completly realistic.
the roland kits work exactly as they should and the 2box dont. I know that the 2box kit has great potential but its obvious that they are just not there yet!, so please..stop talking about how great the kit is in present tense, and refer to it in future (tense). The kit, at this point just doesnt work as it should, and im sure that the 2box team would agree.

HM

I don't think it's very fair to compare the 2box with a Roland model that costs 1000 euros more. I don't find it very surprising that a more expensive e-drumset does something better than the cheaper one.