Logic Express record MIDI - mapped instrument with drumit5

Started by lixus, February 12, 2012, 04:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lixus

Hello,

I would like to record midi from my drumit5 into logic express, and would
like to view what I played in drum notation ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drum_notation )
and I want to be able to record that and probably to play that in faster speed etc.

But unfortunately drumit5 does not use GM Midi Mapping ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_midi#Percussion )
I was told that  I have to use a "mapped instrument", something like this:

Drumit MIDI OUT  -> PC MIDI IN -> mapped Instrument -> GM drum notation

Any hints how to achieve are much appreciated,
perhaps someone has got an Logic File for me with an ready to use drumit5 to GM mapping.
(and the other way round)

jw-smaal

I have tried this as well but in the end it's easier to change the 2box to GM drum notes numbers (read the manual howto).  After this works like a charm.

Make sure you don't send back the MIDI (THRU) to brain while recording in Logic (as with any exernal MIDI instrument) otherwise you get unwanted midi delay effects.

lixus

Well changing BD,SD, & TOMs to the right General Midi Note is not a problem.

But what about the Cymbals ? I want my Ride to have also a Bell and
if possible also be able to let it Crash. Same for CYM1, I want to use the bell there as well, e.g as Splash or Cowbell.

The manual says:

NOTE selects the MIDI note for the note on and off messages. If the
associated trigger type has more than one zone (like cup, bow, edge
and choke), the additional zones are mapped onto consecutive
higher notes. Click to switch between note name and note number.
MIDI note 0 corresponds to C-1 and note 60 to C4.

In General Midi  Bell and Bow are assigned like this but AFAIK you can't map the Zones independently in the brain,
and exactly this is the problem:

51 Ride Cymbal 1
  53 Ride Bell

If I use e.g 51 (D#) in the brain for the ride bow , the bell wil automatically emit 50 and the edge 52.

And I want to see Drum Notes in Logic, e.g. the HH should have an x as notehead and the Ride Bell an triangle.
So I believe for me there is no way around a "Mapped Instrument" anyway.

The HH is probably also getting complicated as I need to map
42 Closed Hi-hat, 44 Pedal Hi-hat, 46 Open Hi-hat, and if possible also half open Hi-hat and Foot Chicks and Foot Splashes, as they are supported in some GM extensions.

I simply didn't know that this would become so complicated.

I assume that I have to have an input mapping and an output mapping:

BRAIN -> MAP TO GM -> Logic Display Drum Notation -> MAP TO BRAIN

Sounds easy but for me it's absolute unclear how to archive this,
this is why I am asking for help

Valden

Hello all.  My first post.  I'm an e-drums beginner and I've written this so it'll be found by searches.

I've had some success with mapping 2Box Drumit 5 across to Logic Pro, so I can record MIDI notes into a drum kit software instrument.  The notes sound right as I'm recording and each drum instrument is recorded onto a separate track.  The hi-hat sounds right enough, with closed, open and pedal-close sounds.  The cymbals provide both bell and crash sounds. :)  It's all recorded in MIDI so it can easily be quantised and edited.

Here's what to do to get the same results.

- On the brain's UNIT INTF page assign each instrument to a unique MIDI channel.  Use the More button to select and assign the tom and snare rims as well.  Don't use a channel with !.

- Connect the brain to your Mac with a MIDI cable, via a MIDI interface.  I used a MOTU Ultralite.

- In Logic create up to 16 software instrument tracks.  From the Library I selected the Garageband, Drum Kits, Rock Kit for each.  In the Inspector assign them to MIDI channels 1 to 16.

- In Logic under Settings, Recording check 'Auto demix by channel if multitrack recording'.  This puts the notes for each drum instrument into separate tracks when recording is stopped.

- In Logic, in the Environment (Command-8), select the Clicks & Ports window, then in the New menu, create a Channel Splitter and three Mapped Instruments.  Command-click the titles and name them 'HiHat Map', 'Cym1 Map' & 'Cym2 Map'.  Using the channels you've assigned to the drumit's hi-hat, cymbal 1 and cymbal 2, connect cables from the Channel Splitter to the respective Mapped Instrument, then from those to the Input Notes item.  Connect a cable from the Physical Input item's MIDI Port to the Channel Splitter.  Connect a cable from the SUM output of the Channel Splitter to the Input Notes item, to transmit the notes from drum instruments that do not go through a map.

- One at a time, double click the Mapped Instruments to open the editor window.  The UNIT INTF page of the brain shows the lowest note for the set of zones a multi-zone instrument plays.  For cymbal 1 the zones are numbered 1, 4, 8 & 9 and these map to the sequential notes C2, C#2, D2 and D#2.  You can see which zone is producing which note by looking at Logic's transport bar, in the MIDI In/Out display.  Play around with the mapping of the zones (by double clicking and editing the note titles in the Mapped Instrument) until you get the combination of sounds you want.  Then, use the UNIT TRIG page of the brain to adjust how the zones are triggered.  I set things so that soft to medium hits on the cymbal bows and bells  (zone 4) produce a bell sound, while hard hits on the bow (zone 1) and all hits on the edge (zone 8 ) produce a crash sound.  The choke 'sound' (zone 9) is a problem, as this kit (and I think Logic Pro) doesn't have a choke.

- For the hi-hat, first calibrate it using the brain's UNIT HPED page.  Press the button above CALIB to prepare for setting the closed position.  Push the pedal down lightly and press the button to set the closed position.  Now release and press again to set the open position.  In Logic and the Environment window, activate the editor for the HiHat Map.  Map the bow of the hi-hat to a closed hit sound.  Map the edge of the hi-hat to an open hit sound.  Map a foot-close action to the foot close sound, which in Rock Kit is called SQ CLICK and is G#0.

- Time for some results.  Arm all of the tracks for recording and press record.  The recording will be made in whichever track is selected, but as soon as you stop, it splits across the respective tracks for each drum instrument.

Conclusion:  The MIDI recording produced will not be as rich sounding as an audio recording from the brain's audio outputs.  But if you're a guitarist who's a crap drummer like me, it's pretty handy. :)

I still need to figure out how to get the cymbal hand-chokes to work in Logic.  Clues?