News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

New Alesis kit

Started by puttenvr, July 17, 2009, 09:18:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hwasser

Saw that Alesis DM10 was started shipping this saturday. They can be buyed at Dolphinmusic and in the mayor american shops today.

The price is 899£

They price tag is very attractive indeed. But I want BIGGER drums! :(
There will still be that digital feeling with very small drums.

HowlingWolf

I've been holding off getting the 2Box partly because it's never in stock  :D but also because I'm not a "real" drummer and the price seemed too much for something I would just "bash" on for some home-based recording.

However, when I saw the details on this new Alesis DM10 it appeared to be more suited to y needs - i.e. cheaper but with all the basic requirements done fairly well.

My concern was that, as with most things, if I start off with a cheaper (and slightly less capable) alternative then surely I will eventually notice the limitations and wish I had got the better alternative?

The main question I have though that the Alesis press release says:
QuoteDM10 is the world's first drum-sound module that enables USB sound loading
I thought that the 2Box was the first or have I misunderstood????

puttenvr

The 2box should be the first, but the software function which enables this isn't ready at the moment. It will be ready within a few .... weeks, monhts...

hwasser

Quote from: HowlingWolf on November 04, 2009, 12:54:10 PM
I've been holding off getting the 2Box partly because it's never in stock  :D but also because I'm not a "real" drummer and the price seemed too much for something I would just "bash" on for some home-based recording.

The same here. Im a studio-guy, I have played drums for couple of years and want to play a little and let others play (and on a low budget). Im thinking about buying a Alesis DM10 and get a real hihat (with real hihatstand), wonder how those "realheads" feels like, the thing is that i dont like mesh-heads cause: i want to feel my drumsticks chew through the drumheads! ;)

TrommelTheo

DM 10 has no HiHat-Stand, only a fix-mounted HiHat-Top and a Footcontoler like old Roland

Theo

hwasser

Several reviews can now be found to the Alesis DM10

http://www.hellfiredrums.com/archives/713
http://www.zzounds.com/item--ALEDM10PROKIT
http://drums-percussion.musiciansfriend.com/product/Alesis-DM10-Pro-Electronic-Drum-Set?sku=492018

And people seems pretty happy with it. The size of the pads are a bit smaller than the Drumit5 (two 8" pads and two 10" pads), but on the other side, thats the same size as the Roland TD-12 pads and the Roland TD-12 costs like over three times more (!!). I dont know what those RealPads feels like, according to hellfiredrums they feel like "in between" of rubber-pads and acoustic drums.

puttenvr

There aren't many words about the sound
And reviews from shops (no 2 and 3) I don't trust. Sorry

hwasser

Quote from: puttenvr on November 23, 2009, 01:56:09 PM
There aren't many words about the sound
And reviews from shops (no 2 and 3) I don't trust. Sorry

Im not doing advertise to alesis dm10, im just keep the information about it flowing. I want to know how the hihat response to the pedal, how the surge and pads triggering to the dm10-module, the feeling overall. Im going to record drums through addictive drums (via midi), so the module-sounds isnt a problem.

The drumit5 is far superior on the samples though becuse it got 4 gb ram vs alesis dm10 128 mb ram. And the pads are bigger, and the hihat and cymbals on drumit five are all 3-zone.

UC

Quote from: hwasser on November 23, 2009, 02:09:21 PM
Im not doing advertise to alesis dm10, im just keep the information about it flowing.

Good man, I think it's worth keeping things objective :) And any competition for Roland is a good thing.

If the Alesis turns out to work well with drum samplers like Addictive or BFD then that's great. The tutorials for BFD suggest that having a seperate footpedal for the hi-hat is actually a bonus as it always resets itself to zero, but with stand-mounted controllers as soon as you move the chuck you have to recallibrate the whole thing...So there's ups and downs with every platform.

puttenvr

Im not doing advertise to alesis dm10,

I didn't say you did
And we are happy with this info
Just noticed that it is remarkable that there aren't many words about .... etc

hwasser

Quote from: puttenvr on November 23, 2009, 03:57:35 PM
Im not doing advertise to alesis dm10,

I didn't say you did
And we are happy with this info
Just noticed that it is remarkable that there aren't many words about .... etc

yeah, actually I think that's a bit weird to. It has been available for a month and no youtube videos and only three reviews (two user reviews and one pro-review). When the 2box was out this forum opened and a lot of videos was to be found on youtube and .. you know, a lot of buzz. The only one who have answered about the Alesis DM10 on v-drum forum and such is hellfire.

roel

Its a great product it looks good, and a very nice price.

hwasser

Asked Alesis if the module supports 2-zone hihats, and it does, that's good news! :)

Calimero

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3kHsEP0p9M
a little too much talk and I would like to hear more playing if you ask me.perhaps in the full report later on.
Based on this,it seems to me that the kit does sound better then the samples from the website.Still curious on the rumors of BFD and all going to make something that can be stored in this module.

hwasser

Quote from: Calimero on December 03, 2009, 02:09:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3kHsEP0p9M
a little too much talk and I would like to hear more playing if you ask me.perhaps in the full report later on.
Based on this,it seems to me that the kit does sound better then the samples from the website.Still curious on the rumors of BFD and all going to make something that can be stored in this module.

Yeah, I will alse hear the snare and toms sensivity and stuff!