News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

New Alesis kit

Started by puttenvr, July 17, 2009, 09:18:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hellfire

Quote from: puttenvr on July 17, 2009, 09:18:29 AM
Seems like Alesis in joining the world of open sound system, too
(hurry up, 2Box)

http://namm.harmony-central.com/SNAMM09/article/Alesis/Alesis-Introduces-DM10-Electronic-Drum-Set-at-Summer-NAMM-2009
http://namm.harmony-central.com/SNAMM09/article/Alesis/Alesis-Announces-Dm10-Sound-Set-From-Fxpansion

I don't think the Alesis DM10 will be competing directly with 2box. I made a similar post over at vdrums.com. 2Box (Roland and Yamaha) are more like a Cadillac Escalade (with the high end modules) where Alesis is more like a Kia Sportage. A decent product at a good price. I think the price point is going to be a big factor here.

puttenvr

Could be, could be ...
But the realism of sounds would be the key factor. Not the price

The difference in price between a Roland TD20 and DrumItFive is huge, too
And the 2Box is better ...

TrommelTheo

don´t say anything about Kia, I drive a Carnival, there is no better Car for that price. So don´t be so quick to write about something you haven´t hear yet ;)

puttenvr

Update: there are some sounds online
http://www.alesis.com/dm10prokit#16

And I am not that impressed ...

Hellfire

Quote from: TrommelTheo on July 17, 2009, 06:04:39 PM
don´t say anything about Kia, I drive a Carnival, there is no better Car for that price. So don´t be so quick to write about something you haven´t hear yet ;)
I happen to like Kia. I also think it is a damn good car for the price, but it is not a Cadillac. That was the point I was trying to make. Also, I had listened to the DM10 samples before I wrote that. I think it sounds decent (not great but decent) especially when you consider the price is only $1499.00.

BTW,
Just got this information from a very reliable source. The price (MAP) of the new Alesis DM10 Pro Kit is going to be $1499.00.

That sounds like a good price to me.

UC

Quote from: puttenvr on July 17, 2009, 06:15:57 PM

I suppose it could be an artifact of the compression they've used, or the over-quantized arrangements, but it doesn't sound all that dynamic to me.

...Unfair I suppose to post this, but listen to the 2box drumit demo...
http://www.2box.se/Pages/drumit_five_demo.html

That's something else.

It's uh...apples and oranges :)

Travis182

Quote from: UC on July 17, 2009, 07:27:20 PM
Quote from: puttenvr on July 17, 2009, 06:15:57 PM

I suppose it could be an artifact of the compression they've used, or the over-quantized arrangements, but it doesn't sound all that dynamic to me.

...Unfair I suppose to post this, but listen to the 2box drumit demo...
http://www.2box.se/Pages/drumit_five_demo.html

That's something else.

It's uh...apples and oranges :)

Hey everyone new to the forum and it looks great  ;D. Can't wait to get my hands on a kit.

I totally agree with you UC, the difference between the two is massive and for basically the same price as the drumit it's a no brainer for me.

puttenvr

The new Alesis only has 128 mb memory
I hope this is RAM and Alesis will add a hard disk for the sounds
Otherwise there won't be much room for your own sounds.

Also read that Alesis still uses Dynamic Articulation. So, they don't use a different sample for every position or dynamic layer, but they use a synth to generate these variations. Like vdrums ...

UPDATE:
There is a promo video from Summer NAMM here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVCIa53ZWV0

The man talks about a hard disk.
But the specs on www.alesis.com don't mention it

Also (again) listened to the audio demos on the Alesis site
Wow, the sounds are really bad
How can a company do this in 2009 ?

Hellfire

Quote from: puttenvr on July 19, 2009, 08:29:33 AM
The new Alesis only has 128 mb memory
I hope this is RAM and Alesis will add a hard disk for the sounds
Otherwise there won't be much room for your own sounds.
You would be surprised what you can do with 128 MB.

Quote from: puttenvr on July 19, 2009, 08:29:33 AMAlso read that Alesis still uses Dynamic Articulation. So, they don't use a different sample for every position or dynamic layer, but they use a synth to generate these variations. Like vdrums ...
Not exactly. They use both. To make the limit memory work they only use about 3-5 layered sounds and then use Dynamic Articulation for everything in between.

UPDATE:
There is a promo video from Summer NAMM here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVCIa53ZWV0

The man talks about a hard disk.
But the specs on www.alesis.com don't mention it
I really doubt there is a hard drive in there. That is not Alesis style. They like inexpensive parts that do what they do well and a hard drive would be too expensive for their price point.

Also (again) listened to the audio demos on the Alesis site
Wow, the sounds are really bad
How can a company do this in 2009 ?
I don't know how many of you gig out, but I do. When I gig out, I typically don't use all of the room ambiance and effects when I play out. Why, well it might sound good in your headphones or on your computer for demos, but when you have to deal with natural room ambiance it is a different story. I typically use my sounds pretty dry and the audience loves it that way. Hell they think it is a real drum kit. I use an Alesis SR-18 with Trigger I/O for my sounds. Will other drummers notice? Probably, but I'm not playing to a bunch of drummers and musicians, I play to everyday people who don't hear nuance. So that is how a company can do this in 2009.

puttenvr

Hi Hellfire

I don't understand your last point
I never use effects and ambience either. That was one of the reasons I dropped former Roland modules
And when I listen to the Alesis demos they sound dull and 1980s like. No matter if they are pre-recorded with effects or not

But perhaps, I don't get your point
Please explain again ...

Hellfire

Quote from: puttenvr on July 20, 2009, 01:18:46 PM
Hi Hellfire

I don't understand your last point
I never use effects and ambience either. That was one of the reasons I dropped former Roland modules
And when I listen to the Alesis demos they sound dull and 1980s like. No matter if they are pre-recorded with effects or not

But perhaps, I don't get your point
Please explain again ...
I'm sorry puttenvr. That dull and 1980's sound that you are talking about, is how studio drums sounded in the late 70's, 80', most of the 90's (what most cover bands play). A lot of times people (ie musicians) think of very studio polished drum sounds as sounding fake but, to a lot of the people (ie non musicians) that is what they think drums sound like. Mainly because they have only heard those cover songs on the original albums. Heavy compression, and very close miking.

You know, if done right an Alesis DM5 can sound really good at a live gig. I still know drummers who use that set-up.

TrommelTheo

ok, ehm... mh
in times where PA´s sounding like a CD-Player (for example KS with a good MIxer) Drums shouldn´t be behind the technique with their sounds.
I´ll get a crisis, wenn i hear perfekt Keys and glass-clear Horns and Guitars but the Drums are overlayed with middle frequencies like a OMO or Dash-Drum (detergent-boxes). :o

Ppl won´t hear that dull and 1980s sound, they will hear nearly the same sound like the new songs on her MP3-Player. As an effect lke Amy Winehouse, playing with sounds styles of the 60´s, is an other thing. :D

Theo
P.S.: sorry for my ugly English  ;D

vlad666

Thanks a lot for building a new forum and I am very glad to see you boys here.
So, the question about new Alesis is:
Will the module work with Yamaha Xtreme 4 special, which I have now (while waiting for the orange baby) and how much it could be? Does it worth to get one instead of Yamaha Xtreme 4? Looks like we have to wait for at least x-mass to get the 2box in proper condition, but gigs and home practice cannot wait...

Peter W

I have to admit that i find the alesis  sound very strange . It doesn't sound like any era to my ears. I wonder if their audio compression method introduces the sound quality that to my ears is muffled and harsh?

I am always testing VST's and one thing I look forward to is an E drum map for the Sonic Reality drum masters series. You can hear demos at downloadablesoundz.com. I like the Jerry Marotta kit myself and I find all the kits sound exactly like tracking sessions to me. I don't think any other vst's or kits sound quite like that.They also have Ocean Way drums.

I get good results with the Slate vst drums but not cymbals. It would be good if the 2 box or Alesis could sound as good as sonic reality vst's. I doubt that is possible because they must use data compression.

Peter