News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Cymbal 2 (ride) making odd sound when choked

Started by Haggis-man, January 14, 2012, 11:36:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haggis-man

Hi guys,

I took delivery of my kit on Thursday and I have almost got it setup. One problem that eludes me is the choke on cymbal 1 , the ride. When I choke it I get a different sound similar to a closed hihat but not exactly the same.

My first thought was the hihat and crosstalk so I unplugged the hihat. The choke is still the same though.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Haggis-man

Hi guys,

I think I've narrowed the problem down to a probable faulty cymbal.

I noticed that if I choke the cymbal without even hitting it I get a short cymbal sound then it chokes, so I guess the cymbal is triggering and choking at the same time. I moved the cymbal to the other cymbal inputs and the problem follows the cymbal.

Cheers

Jman

Quote from: Haggis-man on January 15, 2012, 07:05:21 PM
Hi guys,

I think I've narrowed the problem down to a probable faulty cymbal.

I noticed that if I choke the cymbal without even hitting it I get a short cymbal sound then it chokes, so I guess the cymbal is triggering and choking at the same time. I moved the cymbal to the other cymbal inputs and the problem follows the cymbal.

Cheers
You just got the kit so you will want to return that one for a replacement. But I thought I would show a pic of the cymbal edge. Not sure what is causing your edge choke problem, but the edge is a switch, when the top metal (serrated edge) contacts the bottom plate on a strike you get the edge sound. When the contact is longer, iE holding it for choke, the module interprets it as the choke. If there is something bent .. or some kind of debris between the top and bottom edge, that could cause problems.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Haggis-man

Thanks Jman,

I took the rubber off the cymbal but I couldn't see anything obvious that could be causing the problem.

Next step is to call the dealer I got it from.

Cheers!

Haggis-man

Hi Jmman,

You must have been right! After replacing the rubber cover I tried the cymbal again and now the choke works correctly! Must have been something stuck in there that fell out when I removed the cover. The bell now triggers far easier now too.

Cheers!

Jman

Quote from: Haggis-man on January 17, 2012, 07:52:59 AM
Hi Jmman,

You must have been right! After replacing the rubber cover I tried the cymbal again and now the choke works correctly! Must have been something stuck in there that fell out when I removed the cover. The bell now triggers far easier now too.

Cheers!
I love those kind of accidents :)
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/