News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Millenium cymbals (thomann's own brand) Review

Started by hwasser, January 04, 2012, 09:56:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hwasser

Hi, I used the Yamaha PCY-135 and wasnt to happy:
- It choked itself when I hit it to hard or pushed it down with the drum stick.
- It has a two cm thick rubber edge (the roland cymbals use this to, what's up with that? Cymbals should have a hard surface, not a thick goe surrounding them).

I think the hard edge and metal material inside makes the Drumit five cymbals superior (plus the 360 degree play surface).

So I sold the Yamaha PCY-135 and bought two Millenium MPS-400
http://www.thomann.de/se/millenium_mps400_stereo_becken_pad.htm

Setting up:

I mounted them on two cheap cymbal stands (millenium model, cost 20€ each. However, I also bought a 10€ more expensive cymbal stand from millenium and that was much more stable. Dont get me wrong, the 20€ cymbal stand works fine, but the 10€ extra cymbal stand was heavier, and feels much more rough.)

I used the cymbal stand's own cymbal adapter and mounted the the part that holds the cymbal steady. Moved it around, plugged in to cymbal3, played.

Playing:

- Actually, it worked really good. It feels much better than the Yamaha-cymbal. This millenium one was a little more heavy, had a little harder playing surface and the edge feels more like the 2box-cymbals.

- Choke works perfect.

- The playing zone was a little bigger compared to the yamaha-cymbal.

- It triggers really good! This was also better compared to the yamaha (with the yamaha I used gain+10). I use the cymbal-edge trigger-setting in the module, have gain to +2, both zones works perfectly and doesnt mix up with each-other. It also swings a bit like the 2box-cymbals.

Rating:

Considering the price (59€/49£), the feel, the triggering and the compatibility with the 2box module, I actually give it:

:patbat2box:  :patbat2box:  :patbat2box:  :patbat2box:  :patbat2box:  OUT OF   :patbat2box:  :patbat2box:  :patbat2box:  :patbat2box:  :patbat2box:

hwasser

I doesnt mean that the yammie sucks btw, but it just didnt work out too well with the drumit five-module. :(

Btw, pictures and an audio and a midi-recording coming later this day

Btw2: I use the second cymbal in the tom4 because my cymbals are all used, is there anyway to make it choke in tom4? :/

edtc

Quote from: hwasser on January 04, 2012, 09:57:47 AM
I doesnt mean that the yammie sucks btw, but it just didnt work out too well with the drumit five-module. :(

Btw, pictures and an audio and a midi-recording coming later this day

Btw2: I use the second cymbal in the tom4 because my cymbals are all used, is there anyway to make it choke in tom4? :/

hi ....

here s a link where Manfred explains how to make Yammie cymbals" 2BOX friendly"....

http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php/topic,1010.0.html

.... for the choke on TOM4 ... i guess there is no way ... but a simple software update could fix this...

by the way , it would be a nice option if we could chose the type of trigger for any input available...

for the guy who wants 1 tom and 6 cymbals , or 7 toms and no cymbals ....etc etc   

i think if enough people ask for that , it will be in a next update...;)

hwasser

Yeah, I dont know if the hardware allows the tom-inputs to be 3-zone but I think most people want to extend the amount of crashes :p

Softwarewise this can be made.