News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

SD card compatibility list

Started by Manfred, December 03, 2011, 11:02:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bennyh

Hi Anders,
Unfortunately  I had some mild latency and audio problems with the Sandisk Ultra 80MB/s SDHC I class 10 16GB.
I am still looking for a suitable card that is currently available.
Ben

nocturnodrummer

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1riRpw_S8kovvC_dmKSJj3rV7ykODjS4z/view?usp=drivesdk
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ridXIRSeq9cJAQFtx4Arq9Hd6DE5OAKz/view?usp=drivesdk

Hey guys, sorry for the delay! The forum was down for so long that I forgot it even exists. That's the card I use, it runs perfectly. I use it live so it's road proven.

ANGR77

Hi all!

I ended up with a great solution on selecting the right SD card for 2box(I think...) - I bought a batch 32GBs from 2box - the same card as used in MKII. (2box delivered and approved card)

I am selling it together with the SD extension cable - so drop by my site - and have a look! (And you get some great links to nice content and knowledge to fill your card with!)

https://zourman.com/product/32gb-2box-card-mod-kit/

Best Regards

Anders / www.zourman.com
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

tsss27

I'm sure this has been covered somewhere but haven't found it yet so...since the new DrumIt5 MKII can use up to a 64gb card, does anyone know one that is compatible? I would assume that 64gb versions of already confirmed 32gb cards would be ok?

ANGR77

Hi!

I also tried to source some approved 64 Gb cards from 2box when dealing with the 32 GB cards above - but not even 2box had an approved card. This might be a challenge to get a card which handles FAT32 (instead of the normally used EXFAT for these kind of sizes), is reliable enough to be used in 2box and to the right cost.

There are some great discussions on Vdrums.com why different don't work...and some do on 2box.

https://www.vdrums.com/forum/advanced/technical/1233797-2box-load-times-hi-hat-shoot-out

Best regards

Anders / www.Zourman.com
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

tsss27

It seems that one could just reformat a 64gb card to FAT32, right? At that point it would probably be easier to find one that would work given the other requirements we know it must have.
It is quite strange that 2Box says up to 64gb but cannot even recommend any cards. That's a little misleading. Perhaps it is because they have to be reformatted but that is not hard to do and if that is the case they can simply state this somewhere.

Deve Loper

Hi. 64 GB sdxc can be reformatted as FAT32, however, a flash card is not like a traditional hard drive because of the erase block boundaries. And not the same as sdhc either.
Zaba, Deve.

tsss27

Quote from: Deve Loper on November 01, 2020, 07:00:21 PM
Hi. 64 GB sdxc can be reformatted as FAT32, however, a flash card is not like a traditional hard drive because of the erase block boundaries. And not the same as sdhc either.
Zaba, Deve.

Yeah, I've only been looking at sdhc because it seemed like those were more successful with the 2Box. It seems that most of the newer 64GB cards are "ultra" or other similar ones that are too fast for the module to handle based on the other thread. I guess my best bet would be to try and find some NOS cards that might be the right specs...just hope it actually works as it doesn't seem to have been tested.

Deve Loper

Hi. Its not about "too fast", its about access time.
Unfortunately, larger sizes might mean even more than 4 level mlc (2 bits per cell). I read about 16 level, unbelievable. 16 charge levels in 1 cell.! Oosh...
So I think (!) that might affect access time.

tsss27

Quote from: ANGR77 on November 01, 2020, 07:11:09 AM
Hi!

I also tried to source some approved 64 Gb cards from 2box when dealing with the 32 GB cards above - but not even 2box had an approved card. This might be a challenge to get a card which handles FAT32 (instead of the normally used EXFAT for these kind of sizes), is reliable enough to be used in 2box and to the right cost.

There are some great discussions on Vdrums.com why different don't work...and some do on 2box.

https://www.vdrums.com/forum/advanced/technical/1233797-2box-load-times-hi-hat-shoot-out

Best regards

Anders / www.Zourman.com

Hi Anders,
I found in another thread you mentioned using a 64 GB card, and someone linked to this page https://cy.rsdelivers.com/product/atp/af64gsd3-wadim/atp-64gb-mlc-sdxc-card-industrial/1465575
Here is the thread: https://www.2box-forum.com/index.php?topic=4001.0
The price on that website is insane, but if this is still working out for you it is probably the best choice if I can find it elsewhere...

ANGR77

Hi!

I tested the 64Gb ATP card for 2box about 2 years ago...but they refused the card in the end for some reason. There was some challenges to format it in FAT32...but when this was solved my tests went fine...but 2box did not get the right results or the price was outrageous...or something.

This card is of the type MLC...(this was discussed by Deve on Vdrums) and the findings was that the best cards was of the SLC type. But they are extremely expensive...and with 64GB...outrageous.

Best regards

Anders / www.Zourman.com

tsss27

I was unable to find any 64gb SLC cards, at least not specifically mentioned. Unfortunately it looks like most that are made now are the ultra/etc ones that are too fast for the 2Box to handle. At least I know this card did work for you, so perhaps I can locate one cheaper somewhere (eBay?) Maybe 2Box did not want to include it because it isn't made anymore? Or is it?

docadiddle2

Hi all, I had a bad SD card on my DI 5 mk2 which was replaced and the new one is fine. Can anyone confirm that the 'compatible cards' list also applies to the mk2?

Having said that, they all seem to be hard to find on sale.

jeroen

Hi there, just wanted to share that I bought 2 of the black 32Gb versions (95Mb/s) here and they both work fine with my Drumit3:
https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/4000344910888.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4deKBKh5 (I also found the cable required for the conversion on Ali Express.)

Drum on!

gabo2

Drumit 5 MKII owner here. I've seen on here and a few other places that it's the "access time" that affects whether a card works or not and that access time goes up with larger cards. And maybe even that faster access time produces lower latency?

I've never seen access time listed as a spec, must not be that important for general PC use. And I don't know of a testing program that gives you access time.

In searching the internet, I found an article from tom's hardware where they tested access time of various cards. But the article was old and most, if not all, of the cards are no longer made.

So one quick question, do 16G cards consistently have faster access time than 32G cards? I know everyone wants more space and there is a push to use 64G cards, but for me, I generally have one or two kits I use for a live show. I could easily get all the kits I need for most circumstances onto a 16G card.

So if a 16G card has lower latency than a 32G card, maybe I should try to find the fastest 16G card and use that?

gabo