News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

SD card compatibility list

Started by Manfred, December 03, 2011, 11:02:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRage

Quote from: Coda on March 26, 2016, 11:26:08 AM
If you value your sanity, you won't buy memory cards off evilbay. If you ever went through a complaint procedure with a seller and tried to get your money back from paypal, you'll understand what I mean.

OK, thanks, Coda
I will try the Transcend then - at least it is locally distributed. What software you use btw for testing SD cards?

Rgds, Janis
Posted by some mistake.

Coda

HD Tune Pro. There's a trial version on the website, you don't need the paid version because the trial also measures latency.
If you will do it, please make sure you also benchmark the original 2box card in the same reader, so you can factor out the overhead of the card-reader (which can vary quite a lot).

JRage

OK, thanks. When I'll get the card I will try to benchmark it against original 2box card.
Posted by some mistake.

Murgen

Quote from: Coda on March 26, 2016, 11:26:08 AM
If you value your sanity, you won't buy memory cards off evilbay. If you ever went through a complaint procedure with a seller and tried to get your money back from paypal, you'll understand what I mean.

I got my money back, ebay seller was honest about the fact it was a fake AFTER I complained. 🙃
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

Coda

Quote from: Murgen on March 26, 2016, 02:12:07 PM
I got my money back, ebay seller was honest about the fact it was a fake AFTER I complained. 🙃
That's nice, but I'm not sure that's what usually happens :-)

ANGR77

Hi!

I have been running the HD Tune PRO app on all my Old SD Cards...the reason for doing this was that I thought I had found a good card...and was using for month. It was a SanDisk Extreme 30 MB/s. But after been playing and adding content for months (at last two big SDSE converted Dummica kits)...it finally started to add latency...and audio cracks.

Then I just scanned through all of SDs...(I had about 15 cards)...and found that the SanDisk was quite slow in access time compared to original card.)

Instead I found a real old Transcend SDHC with 32GB class 10...which was the fastest and compared to the original card a bit faster.

I was planning to post all my cards on this forum...but I it just feel stupid because of the way HD Tune measures the cards. The access time depends very much on the computer and card reader attached...

The only thing HD Tune is good on is to determine if a measured card is faster or slower compared the original card. The exact data and access time is just a values...and which makes it very hard compare with others that also have been using the hd tune app.

So instead of posting screenshots of hd tune ...we should post cards in table (with a picture)which actually works and are faster than the original one.

What do you think?

Best regards

Angr77

Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

Coda

Quote from: ANGR77 on March 27, 2016, 10:11:10 AMit finally started to add latency...and audio cracks. Then I just scanned through all of SDs...(I had about 15 cards)...and found that the SanDisk was quite slow in access time compared to original card.)
This is level-wearing by the sounds of it.

QuoteI was planning to post all my cards on this forum...but I it just feel stupid because of the way HD Tune measures the cards. The access time depends very much on the computer and card reader attached...

The only thing HD Tune is good on is to determine if a measured card is faster or slower compared the original card. The exact data and access time is just a values...and which makes it very hard compare with others that also have been using the hd tune app.

So instead of posting screenshots of hd tune ...we should post cards in table (with a picture)which actually works and are faster than the original one.

What do you think?
That was the whole point of posting stats of new cards against the original card, tested on the same computer and same reader. The screenshots are a nice visual way to see what's going on, so those that take an interest can do further analysis.
IMO, A table won't make any sense, because you will have removed the context, which is important: new card against old card, measured using same hardware.

ANGR77

Hmm...

I think we are talking about the same thing. I had something like this in mind: (To create a better overview and save forum members to browse through 16 pages of threads)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qvucwl3heui8uoj/2Box_SDSC.png
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

Coda

Quote from: ANGR77 on March 27, 2016, 01:21:41 PM
Hmm...

I think we are talking about the same thing. I had something like this in mind
Yeah, now I see what you mean, I agree. One suggestion though, because "faster than" means nothing by itself, maybe it could be qualified as "Access time" rather than "R/W speed" and something like "Better/Worse" etc, as that is the metric we are interested in.
It looks good though... but do you think that we need a wiki page for it that all members can edit?

ANGR77

Hi!

Thanks. Agree about faster than...is maybe too poor description and the access time field shows the same thing. (Actual, referens card access time) However - a slower card than the original card could work - like in my case the Sandisk Extreme 16 GB. It took me 3 months before the card really started show major problems. So using a "better or worse" keyword is maybe a better definition. I don't know if measured cards very near the reference card in access time are valid and approved. 

Regarding wikipage or not...a good idea...but it is not so good if the user needs to leave the unofficial 2Box site...to get this information.

Best Regards

Angr77

Coda

Quote from: ANGR77 on March 28, 2016, 08:21:01 AM
Regarding wikipage or not...a good idea...but it is not so good if the user needs to leave the unofficial 2Box site...to get this information.
Yeah, IIRC there *was* some kind of wiki here a long time ago, but I think it disappeared. UC, NeilC, Jman will know more about it, but maybe out of those three only Jman is still active here?

Edit: http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php/topic,218.0.html This is what I meant.

JRage

Finally got my Transcend Class 6 32GB (TS32GSDHC6) kindly suggested by nocturnodrummer.
So I did HD Tune Pro benchmark tests, as Coda proposed, comparing with original card. I used the built in SD card reader in my HP ProBook.
The results are very promising:

1. Read benchmark: original 2box ATP_ProMax_Class10 card

2.Read benchmark: Transcend Class 6 32GB card

3.Random Access: original 2box ATP_ProMax_Class10 card

4.Random Access: Transcend Class 6 32GB card

Both cards look to me in this benchmark almost like twins, the Transcend being slightly ahead, so it can be added to compatible cards list.
I will report if it starts to behave differently after filling the card with "heavier" kit samples (currently I've got only one SD2 vst based kit to test which sounded pretty well).

I also did the SD card mod with extender cable, initially looks very promising - no delays, fast OS initial loading.

Update:
Unfortunately, after filling the card with more from 2box site downloaded plus custom samples (about 8,5 GB in total) and with faster playing, like InTheBox posted some time ago, occasionally the sound will halt, only to have all the hits played on top of each other a second later. What's important - this was observed also on stock kits, which prevents suspicions of wrong configurations or too large files of custom sample kits.

I am thinking of possible reasons:
1. The extender cable interference or quality issues (I use the cheap 10 inch extender cable from e-bay) - I will swap back the original card and use it for some time to see if the same problem occurs. If yes - the cable is to blame, if not - the card is guilty.

2. The issues with Transcend card itself - I've ordered the green Kingston 32GB Class10 card which Coda advised as compatible. Is this card still OK after using it for some months, Coda?

3. Some OS logical compatibility issues - unlikely though (I can't define it more exactly, e.g. OS is getting unstable when total number of files on memory card exceeds 999 files?) - if problems occur only after filling the card over 4 GB/ or above certain number of files, it should also be easily checked.

Any other thoughts on this?
Posted by some mistake.

Coda

JRage

Well, after quite a busy week I can share some more of my findings about Transcend Class 6 and also about the 'green' King ston Class 10 32 GB SD10V card.

General conclusion: the problem I described in my previous post, was Transcend card itself (not the extender cable, not the OS compatibility) as it's performance started to degrade over time. It isn't stable enough to use it as a mission critical resource. It can be used for training, but be ready, it will choke with samples occasionally - for my daily 1-2 hour evening session at least once it happened.

After using the Transcend card for couple of days I checked it again with HD Tune Pro and results are obvious: now there is visible occasional access time degradation, also bigger difference between min. and max. access time numbers.
1. Two screenshots where you can see the problems

2. Third picture in another day again seems OK.

Then I tried the 'green' Kingston, which Coda found last year.
So far (one week's usage) it looks pretty good. It has a bit higher average access time, but it seems more consistent and there are no delays or stutters. Since the first usage I've changed it's content and added more files but no problems so far.

My conclusion: I would recommend to add Coda's 'green' Kingston 32 GB Class 10 to compatible cards list, but not the Transcend 32GB Class 6.
Posted by some mistake.

shimy1984

Hello all,

Newbie here. I have a question that I haven't seen answered so I thought I'd ask.

Why use a card extender that is only compatible with up to 32gb when you can just install a 128gb SD card directly into the unit?

From what I've read it doesn't seem like the file size of the SD card really matters, its more the R/W speeds.

Am I wrong in my assumption?