News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

SD card compatibility list

Started by Manfred, December 03, 2011, 11:02:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gitarcisavas

I read the whole thread, i know the cards that's been tested. But new cards are out, like this toshiba exceria. I was trying to help by choosing something new.

Savas

Jman

Quote from: Gitarcisavas on June 14, 2014, 09:12:00 PM
I read the whole thread, i know the cards that's been tested. But new cards are out, like this toshiba exceria. I was trying to help by choosing something new.

Savas
Yeah, always good to have someone "take one for the team"  ;D...... it is a bit of a crap shoot with new cards. Testing them out is about the only way to be sure. Having the lowest Read Access time is probably one of the most important things to look for. Unfortunately that is not one of the stats that are normally listed for cards, since it is not critical for most common usage, like cameras/photos for example. Toms Hardware put out a review in 2011 and listed Read Access time of the cards tested, but I haven't seen a new review comparison of cards with that stat lately.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Gitarcisavas

Are there differences between extension cables?  I bought a cheap one from ebay for $6. It arrived today and works just fine.
I  also tested the toshiba 16gb sdhc card today. I don't have extra samples yet, so i couldn't fill it. But copied the original card to it. Added some drumless wave files. And it boots in 5.15 secs. Exactly 1 sec longer than the original 4GB card. Card seems to have a little higher quality plastic than my other cards and made in Japan. I don't know if this is a sign of quality. I don't see a reason to spend 3 times more for the exceria series now. I'll probably buy the 32gb of the same card. Will test and report here. First I need to get my hands on those drum samples and fill the card.

digitalDrummer

You can only tell the appropriateness of the card with some big DSNDs. I tried a card and it worked perfectly with the stock kits and data, but once I loaded home-brew DSNDs with multiple layers, it started stuttering during fast triggering.

Gitarcisavas

I finally filled the card. And it still works flawlessly. Boot up time is now 7 secs.
My biggest DSND files are around 250mb (hi-hat) and the kit folder is around 700mb.

teletom007

please,
what is the best and safest ssd to time. 8 - 32GB.

tom from germany

ANGR77

Hi!

I have changed my 4 GB SD card to a 32GB card. I found an old 32 GB card in my collection named Sandisk Ultra 30MB/S Class 10. It seems like new types of SD cards will end up with problems according to this thread. I have formated the card on my Windows 10 based Notebook (not Quick format) Fat32, standard values.(For test purposes  - I did not use the SD Format) Then I downloaded the latest factory build for 2Box + a couple of my own fat kits.

I have made this mod inside the unit and I did not go for the cable implementation at this stage. I can live with if it takes time to download new kits etc on the module over USB. (That was before I saw Jman's big warning to update the card over USB for cards bigger than 4GB!)

Ok - did it work? I would say yes for the moment. I can't hear any cracks in the sound..even if playing real fat samples. More testing is required but I did play for a couple of hours without any problems.

Boot times:

• Old card 4.56 seconds
  • New card 6.47 seconds

Picture of the cards - old and new
https://www.dropbox.com/s/foswndvvkbgjf62/IMG_0898.JPG

It looks nice regarding the amount of memory:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yqhpk8700p891w6/IMG_0899.JPG

Best Regards

ANGR77
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

Drumaster

Hi ANGR77,

Maybe a silly question: but how do you update files on your 32GB card as you can't do it over USB (for cards >4GB) and as you didn't go for the card extender??

ANGR77

Hi.

I updated it in my computer before I installed the SD card....that was before I realized and red about the annoying 4 GB limit over USB. If I was the designer of 2Box...this would be the first thing I would fix.

Angr77

Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

thecompetition

" If I was the designer of 2Box..."
But you ain't...
People making changes beyond the original design do that on their own risk.
As written earlier, by the time DrumIt was released, 4 GB was pretty hi end (still is relatively speaking), so  enjoy it or make your own...
Happy new year!

Drumaster

ANGR77

I have talked to the nice 2BOX God today...and he confirms that they are thinking how they can improve the memory handling (especially over USB) - but as we all have been guessing / It is not an easy task and it will require more than just a firmware/OS update...

So Jman's SD patch is the only option today.

ANGR77

digitalDrummer

Mark Drum learned from 2box's experience and added a removable SD card to its system.

ANGR77

This is what I would like to do...:-)