News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

SD card compatibility list

Started by Manfred, December 03, 2011, 11:02:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jman

Quote from: ROB219 on January 13, 2012, 05:02:43 AM
Good stuff Jman, I picked up a Sandisk Class 10 32Gb (NOT the video one!) the other day and did the SD mod on my module as soon as I got it.

Came fitted with a class 10 4Gb card, so we'll see how it goes with the 32Gb in it.
Those are very rare to find now ... you will probably be OK with that one... J
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Jman

Quote from: Slap the drummer on January 13, 2012, 11:13:39 AM
Yes, so I'm thinking if you've ended up adding files, deleting some, etc etc....
then it wd probably be a good idea to reformat the card (to blank it) and then copy
across your files again in one fresh batch.... ?
I don't think that is a good idea. I'd stay away from reformatting if at all possible. It was mentioned earlier that the particular cards are formatted for their best performance from factory ...and  Deve Loper stated that defragmenting is not necessary....

a couple posts by Deve:

On Formatting
Hi.

My 32 GB SDHC card (which works perfectly) results in this when I use windows "chkdsk <drive>:" (<drive> being e or d or something):

The type of the file system is FAT32.
Volume Serial Number is FC30-3DA9
Windows is verifying files and folders...
File and folder verification is complete.
Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.
   32,410,624 KB total disk space.
   32,410,592 KB are available.

32,768 bytes in each allocation unit.
    1,012,832 total allocation units on disk.
    1,012,831 allocation units available on disk.

1 allocation unit is used for the root folder (as it should).
Your Transcend might have different sizes, but it should look similar.
Reformatting a factory new card is not recommended, especially the clusters might not be allocated on erase block boundaries anymore. I thought the utility on the official SD card site would fix it, but I didn't test it extensively.

And yes, one of the reasons DrumIt doesn't support external cards is because of this kind of trouble.

and..... On Defragmenting:
Hi.
Defragmenting has no effect at all.
Also the speed class doesn't give the whole picture. The access time is extremely important but unfortunately hardly specified by sd card manufacturers.
Deve.

Slap the drummer

Quote from: Jman on January 13, 2012, 03:32:50 PM
I don't think that is a good idea. I'd stay away from reformatting if at all possible. It was mentioned earlier that the particular cards are formatted for their best performance from factory ...and  Deve Loper stated that defragmenting is not necessary.... ]

Ah - I wasn't paying attention!  Good job I havn't taken my own advice yet.  :)

Jman

Quote from: Slap the drummer on January 13, 2012, 03:36:55 PM

Ah - I wasn't paying attention!  Good job I havn't taken my own advice yet.  :)

I just went through a crash course on SDHC cards over the last week or so (plus the hassle of purchasing and returning 4 cards)... researching every benchmark I could find on the net..... looking for some kind of indication or common thread for cards that seem to function well with the module .... hence I started looking pretty close at the little "golden nuggets" of Deve ;)

Jman

Quote from: 3drum on January 13, 2012, 12:07:45 PM
Yesterday I picked up the Lexar card Jman recommended. Loaded up all my files and it works superbly!
Cool  8) Glad we finally have more options! I also have a second Lexar card (bought 2) and have tested both of them with the same results ...  :drum2:

SHwoKing

I wonder how many SD card you have Jman.

BTW, Lexmark seems the right choice. Thanks.

digitalDrummer

Quote from: SHwoKing on January 13, 2012, 05:27:23 PM

BTW, Lexmark seems the right choice. Thanks.

That's LEXAR, not LEXMARK!

edtc

Quote from: digitalDrummer on January 14, 2012, 03:57:10 AM
That's LEXAR, not LEXMARK!

...Unless you want  to print with your module!

roel

ROB219

Well my card came in... and it is the "Video" version. I rang the supplier right away and upped them for wrong description of goods!! I got them to check all their cards and they are all the video ones. :(

Anyway... I tried it out.... with 7.2GB being used on the card, it loads from switch on to system ready in 12 seconds.
My original card is OS ready in 4 seconds dead.

And it seems to play ok.
I am thinking the load time is actually the system checking SD size and not the OS access time. I mean, they're fast cards.
Why it would not play correctly could just come down to a combo of card size and file size. I am guessing here, but there must be a reason why these big cards are an issue.

I am actually going to get a 16GB card... it will be HEAPS for what I want and should have a good read/write speed. And they're heaps cheaper too.

fishmonkey

Defragmenting has no effect at all.
Deve.

i do not believe this is true as a blanket statement. any improvements might be modest, but a modest improvement may make the difference between glitches or no glitches, if your card is on the edge of being able to keep up.

since you have so many SD cards, you could run some scientific tests for us, heheh!

Jman

I defragged cards that had the glitches, no effect, defragged cards that performed well and it made no noticable dif in the module.

And as far as Fast Cards .... I have bought Sandisk Extreme Pro 32GB (45MB's and expensive), and it is sitting in the drawer as a backup, for file storage, because it doesn't perform as well as the Lexar. I've played side by side with the earlier Sandisk Extreme card without the HD Video label and the new HD Video .... supposedly the same speed .... The HD Video ones are off my list, and returned ... they perform completely different ... I have had other brands, no good... I went to Tom's hardware and brought up every test I could find ... Saw the Lexar, the Extreme (not HD Video) I had, and the Silicon Power card had the lowest Read Access times of any of the 32GB cards .... Whether that is just some accident that the cards I have now that work well with no glitches are the ones with the lowest read access time (and they all load much faster at start, 6 or 7 seconds instead of 12 or more seconds) ... at this point I know these work, so I've done all the testing I need to ... prolly spent over $700 along the way.... The Silicon Power card mentioned earlier has almost identical stats to the Lexar and has already been put on the list.... I don't have one .... but I'd feel confident buying that one too...

And many of the cards seem to play well ..... usually ..... they have to be loaded with a custom built kit that has some pretty hefty sized dsnds (the stock dsnds won't do it) .... playing a fast solo, 4 on the floor, will do it ... before the problems become evident ...

At any rate I have a half dozen cards now that work well, so I'm good for now ...

Manfred

Hi,

startpost is updated with the Lexar Professional card.

I just came back from a business trip and found that Toshiba card in my postbox.

Of course i tried it directly and it looks promising. Boot-time is about 4 seconds compared to 13s with the HD-Video card. Okay its just a 16GB card instead of 32GB but the boot time is less than a third. So i will use it and hope it proves to work.

Regards, Manfred

Jman

Quote from: Manfred on January 22, 2012, 12:39:44 AM
Hi,

startpost is updated with the Lexar Professional card.

I just came back from a business trip and found that Toshiba card in my postbox.

Of course i tried it directly and it looks promising. Boot-time is about 4 seconds compared to 13s with the HD-Video card. Okay its just a 16GB card instead of 32GB but the boot time is less than a third. So i will use it and hope it proves to work.

Regards, Manfred

Looking forward to your findings Manfred! 8)

eyerichards

Just tried out my recently purchased lexar pro 32gb card and..................Everything working perfectly!!!!  :rock:  Thank god for that! I'll be using it on the gig tonight so fingers crossed for smooth sailing. Taking old card just in case though.