News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

SD card compatibility list

Started by Manfred, December 03, 2011, 11:02:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manfred

Hi,

i thought it might be useful to have a SD card compatibility list for the 2Box module. So it would be nice if everybody could post which card has been in the module originally and what cards have proven to work. I will update this post accordingly. Please write the description of the cards as specific as possible. And recommendations for other cards if you are sure that they work. Not just tested for a few minutes but for a longer time. So lets start:

Original cards in the modules:

- Sandisk Extreme III 4GB SDHC class 6
- ATP Pro Max 4GB class 10
- 4GB Kingston SDHC Class 6

Cards that have proven to work:

- Sandisk Extreme 32GB SDHC class 10 30MB/s (different label prior to HD-video)
- Lexar Professional 32GB SDHC class 10 133x speed (see reply 24)
- Lexar Professional 16GB SDHC Class 10 133x  20Mb/sec (see reply 46)
- PNY Professional 32GB SDHC Class 10 20MB/s (133X) (see reply 115)

- Silicon Power 32GB SDHC class 10 ( ?? latency problems reported in post #73)

- Sandisk Extreme HD-Video 32 GB SDHC class 10 30MB/s (see reply 7)
- Sandisk Extreme Pro 32GB SDHC 45MB/s (see reply 8 )

Jman

Original cards in the modules:
4GB Kingston SDHC Class 6
ATP Pro Max 4GB class 10

Sandisk Extreme 32GB SDHC class 10 30MB/s (different label prior to HD-video) These are not compatible, Early batches worked but later ones did not, and many fakes were on the market

Cards that have proven to work:

Lexar Professional 32GB SDHC class 10 133x speed http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004Y38OK2/ref=asc_df_B004Y38OK22342357?smid=A1IWE878LYB4UR&tag=nextagusmp0358889-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B004Y38OK2

Allan (DigitalDrummer) discovered this one. It works excellent and prices are very reasonable!
PNY Professional 32GB SDHC Class 10 20MB/s (133X):
http://www.amazon.com/PNY-Flash-Memory-Card-P-SDHC32G10-AZ/dp/B004WZJXDE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364218275&sr=8-1&keywords=pny+32gb+sdhc

I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Manfred

Thanks Jman, startpost is updated. Good idea to post pictures of the cards. These are mine, left is original and right is the one i use currently.

Manfred

Hi 6828,

thanks for your feedback! How about the Silicon Power card on the right? Does it work flawlessly so should i put it on the list of proven cards?

Regards, Manfred

Quote from: Manfred on December 06, 2011, 10:43:01 PM
Hi 6828,

thanks for your feedback! How about the Silicon Power card on the right? Does it work flawlessly so should i put it on the list of proven cards?

Regards, Manfred

Yep Manfred it works perfectly for me and tested at the same speed as the original card for read and write speeds.

Tony

Manfred

Thanks, list is updated!

Some more users around with other SD-Cards?

Regards, Manfred

Jman

I now have my doubts about the Sandisk Extreme 32GB HD Video card being the same as the card that I have been using..... the one I have pictured in my above post. Here is why: I bought a new pair of the Sandisk Extreme 32GB HD Video cards as pictured in Manfred's post. I am building new dsnds right now from a new SD pack I purchased. So, I loaded my previous dsnds plus my new dsnds and copied all the important files to the new card. When testing it out .... and I tested over and over for hours .... I had latency problems and distorted clicks, pops etc ... from the new cards.... I then took my old cards and loaded all the exact same files on them and they play perfect! My new cards were in factory sealed packaging and were from a very reputable retailer, Adorama Camera. When I turn the module on with the HD Video type cards it takes approx. 14 seconds for everything to load ... ready to play. When I turn on the module with my older style card it takes approx. 7 seconds to load. This leads me to believe an important thing is different ... Access time..... lower access time is something Deve Loper mentioned as being very important to the 2Box module.

Now, I don't know if all the HD Video cards are the same, or if some are actually different models with new labeling applied ..... or if I got a bad batch ..... But I do know the ones I returned to Adorama today did not perform equivalent to my current ones I am using.

I have ordered a couple new cards which the retailer assured me are NOT the HD Video type and are the type I want..... I will report back after I receive and test the new cards, J

Jman

I also removed the Sandisk SDHC Extreme Pro 32GB 45MB/s from my list of compatible cards. After further testing I find the Extreme Pro has the same slow Access time problem and suffers from latency problems in fast playing through the module.

3drum

I also have the SanDisk Extreme HD video class 10 card. I'm experiencing the same latency and distortion as Jman. The card is definitely not a fake either. This sucks!

Manfred

Hi,

thanks for the updates! I modified the start post accordingly. I'm also using the HD-Video card but up to now i didn't notice any distorted clicks or other noise. Also in latency i didn't notice a significant difference compared to the original card. Anyway, my DSNDs are not that big and maybe i'm not playing fast enough  ;)

But the boot time is also about 13-14 seconds. So that matches with Jmans cards. Seems really not easy to find "good" cards for the 2Box module.

Regards, Manfred

eyerichards

Quote from: Jman on December 28, 2011, 12:08:05 AM
I now have my doubts about the Sandisk Extreme 32GB HD Video card being the same as the card that I have been using..... the one I have pictured in my above post. Here is why: I bought a new pair of the Sandisk Extreme 32GB HD Video cards as pictured in Manfred's post. I am building new dsnds right now from a new SD pack I purchased. So, I loaded my previous dsnds plus my new dsnds and copied all the important files to the new card. When testing it out .... and I tested over and over for hours .... I had latency problems and distorted clicks, pops etc ... from the new cards.... I then took my old cards and loaded all the exact same files on them and they play perfect! My new cards were in factory sealed packaging and were from a very reputable retailer, Adorama Camera. When I turn the module on with the HD Video type cards it takes approx. 14 seconds for everything to load ... ready to play. When I turn on the module with my older style card it takes approx. 7 seconds to load. This leads me to believe an important thing is different ... Access time..... lower access time is something Deve Loper mentioned as being very important to the 2Box module.

Now, I don't know if all the HD Video cards are the same, or if some are actually different models with new labeling applied ..... or if I got a bad batch ..... But I do know the ones I returned to Adorama today did not perform equivalent to my current ones I am using.

I have ordered a couple new cards which the retailer assured me are NOT the HD Video type and are the type I want..... I will report back after I receive and test the new cards, J

This is exactly what I experienced with my sandisk card hd video card. This will sound weird but I'm glad it wasn't just me. You can also cross off Kingston ultimate 16gb class 10 cards which are even worse.

digitalDrummer

I'm using a Transcend  SD HC 32GB card and it seems to work fine with stock dsnds and homebrew versions.

Again, there seems room for confusion - this is also available with a yellow label, and I haven't tried that version. Both heave exactly the same information on the actual card.

Jman

Just to expand on this latency problem a bit: I changed to one of the stock 2Box kits in my module when testing the cards that I experienced the latency problem with, and with the stock 2Box kits there was no problem. This coincides with other posts I have read about latency problems when playing the custom dsnds others have built. So the problem occurs with the bigger dsnds I've built. And that is more obvious when playing very fast..... after a short time playing fast the sounds begin to fall behind the actual playing and eventually static sounds, etc.
But I have none of these problems with the Extreme card in my pic. I am hoping my results will be the same with the cards I just ordered that are supposed to be that type.

As I mentioned earlier Deve mentioned the Access Time on the SDHC cards as being important:

QuoteAlso the speed class doesn't give the whole picture. The access time is extremely important but unfortunately hardly specified by sd card manufacturers.
Deve.

So it is a bit of a task to find a card with large capacity that meets our needs. Beyond the standard read and write speeds .... stats are hard to find. It would be nice if Tom's Hardware would do another up to date test/review of SDHC cards, here is one from 2009 that lists the results from a few cards and shows access time results:
http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2009-sdhc-memory-card-charts/Access-Time,857.html

Manfred

Hi,

yes, i tried to find the "old" version of the Sandisk cards but no success. Seems like its not available anymore at least here in Germany. The reason why i didn't face the latency problems with my HD-Video card is the file size i guess. As already said my DSNDs are not that big up to now.

The Silicon Power cards look promising. On one hand because 6828 confirmed that the 32GB version works flawlessly. On the other hand the test on tomshardware shows the lowest access times for the 16GB version. Of course this is not guarantee because there might be different cards with the same label.

Regards, Manfred