News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

DrumIt Five cymbals

Started by Sam H, October 01, 2009, 09:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nussbaum

Quote from: UC on October 15, 2009, 03:40:21 PMI think it's looking like we'll be getting the functionality we're clammering for but because of development issues, we'll be getting it incrementally - no groans please, I reckon it's better to get good updates slowly than bad updates quickly!

Shouldn't you perhaps refrase that to: It's better to get a good kit later than a half one quickly?

Actually I find it quite disturbing that 2box promises very awaited updates in Octobre, to only prsent a delay once IN Octobre!

UC

@westerlu77 - basically a multisample takes the velocity value of your physical drum hit, and the drum brain (or sampler or whatever) plays back one of a number of samples that have been mapped according to that velocity - that way you can simulate more natural characteristics from each hit (like including audible snare buzz on a kick drum played more quietly, or getting rid of the  'machinegun' effect when you do a roll with an unchanging drum sound...). A single-shot will just trigger that one sound and it will sound the same every time (maybe just the volume will be changed according to how hard you hit).

@Calimero ...I know what you mean, but hang in there. I'm getting my kit in a few weeks - and in all honesty, if I could have afforded it sooner, I would have bought when the first batch hit the shops. I've spent a good few hours playing the drumit over the last few months, in a shop with whole rooms devoted to V-drums and Yamahas, and I've given them all a good thrashing, and I still feel that bang-for-buck, it's better than any other e-drum kit in the price range, even with the current OS.

If you're considering buying but not sure, I would say don't jump into getting something else if you can wait a bit longer. And certainly go to the Alesis site and listen to their samples. Hmm.

For multisamples (if you really can't live without a particular drum sound from BFD or whatever), one way to do it would be to set up a really simple midi track in a sequencer with say 4 - 8 beats on the same instrument, evenly spaced to play out the full tail of each hit, and draw in distinct velocity envelopes for each note, so you get a good range. Bounce down the audio to a wav, and then chop it up, naming each slice as you go. I can't see myself doing this to be honest, except maybe to add a subtle FX change on each hit and come up with some weird combinations, like filter cutoffs controlled by velocity, or maybe increasing overdrive or something. Would be great for some heavy d'n'b I reckon. You could even really mash up the pitch of the drum. Lots of possibilities!

@Nussbaum - Windows Vista became pretty good after Service Pack 1, and Microsoft never apologised for getting people to pay for it up to that point :)

Seriously though, I wouldn't spend this much money on anything without researching it carefully first. If you're not sure, wait until you're either happy with the product or decide it's not right for you.

I'd like to state for the record that no-one has paid me to write any of this, I'm just an old DDrum4 fanboy, and I'm putting my money where my mouth is in the next couple of weeks.   :)

wbrs

I  think they are doin pretty good so far. I mean they are making from what I can tell a far superior product than any thing out there. They are a small outfit so we are lucky we're seeing as soon as we are. Nobody else is doing it.

thackleberry

Yeah, all I can say is I love my kit even with its flaws. And I'm warmed with the knowledge that all the flaws that bother me are software related and will eventually be fixed. I imagine by mid next year with say the 4th batch of kits the price might well go up, so get in now and grab a bargain ;)

Calimero

Does this also mean that the updates that were announced regarding the hihat-fix and other little issues are delayed until the end of the year/early 2010?

UC

Hey Calimero

No, I think the OS update is on track for end of October still.

cheers
Tom

Tristan

I'm having a problem with one of my cymbal channels, but I think it's with teh unit rather than the pad.  Crash 1 for some reasons doesn't always trigger the right edge sound.  It does for the first two or three hits once a kit has been selected, but after that it plays the bell sound on the edge!

Anyone have any ideas of what might be going on here?

Dr.Wu

you could check if your cymbal suffers from the same problem as mine did. one of the three cables that connects the pad to the triggeroutput got damaged when the metal block was attached at the factory resulting in a broken cable that would sometimestrigger and sometimes not.
I shortened that part of the cable and resoldered the rest. Works ok now.
But be careful when you unscrew the metal block because the cables are rather short!

Tristan

Hi Dr Wu.  It seems that isn't the problem with mine.  The pad is fine if I put it in the Cymbal 2 input.  It's Cymbal 1 that's the problem, even when I give it exactly the same settings as Cymbal 2 (eg. Gain 4, Threshold 36).  I've IM'd Scottie to see if he has any thoughts. 

Tristan

Problem sorted.  Great service from Scott at Hand in Hand.  It's all good!

wbrs

What was causing the problem and how was it fixed?

Tristan

Don't know. Hand in Hand replaced the unit!

hdevr000

What about the idea to sell also a bigger cymbal so it looks like a ride instead of a crash?
I never saw that in E-drums but it seems such a simple solutions to me. Anybody else?

UC

Quote from: hdevr000 on January 03, 2010, 08:48:45 PM
What about the idea to sell also a bigger cymbal so it looks like a ride instead of a crash?
I never saw that in E-drums but it seems such a simple solutions to me. Anybody else?

Yep. I'd buy one of those :)