News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

roland kick pad

Started by giantsou, November 18, 2011, 08:32:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

giantsou

Hello 2boxers,

After 2 years I'm tired with the unsteable 2box kick pad, especially when i play with doublepedal. 

Another thing that annoys me is that although many users have the same problem from the beginning, i don't see any improvement from the 2box company.

Anyway my question:

Does anybody know about the compatability and the general behavior of the Roland kd 85 V Drums Kick pad with the 2 box module?

Thanx

puttenvr

Must be no problem since kick pad triggers are quite straigth forward
No positional sensing, no pressure sensing
BUT: do the Roland pads have a LED ?
Now, that's the question !

giantsou

No, but i'll put some christmas tree led's these days!

BURNIN AMBITION

i would like to know that as well. but yantsou check the diy section. we have teh sollution there!!!!
2box, bengt, deve, digital drummer, Jman, Brian, Manfred thanx for everything

iola 11
http://www.facebook.com/iola11
www.reverbnation.com/iola11
https://soundcloud.com/iola11
https://twitter.com/iola11band
www.youtube.com/iola11band
www.myspace.com/iola11

giantsou

aderfe,

I tried the ''roel'' solution months ago but i didn't worked for me. On the other hand your ''sweater'' solution is not the best for a live gig.

I asked for the roland kick pad, because i played a TD 12  kit some years ago. the stability and the general feeling of the pad was great.

kalo apogevma

roel

maby the mk2 kickpad will work for you.

giantsou

Hello Roel,

I have already modified my MKI to MKII.

I've seen some small improvement especially in the noise not the stability.

Let's face it: the hole situation with the kick pad is not rocksolid as it should be.

I have a MKI rack, separate Hihat and Snare stands. If a play the toms and the cymbals nothing is moving.

But as soon as i start to play some more powerfull strokes on the kick, i see movement not only in the kick but also in the hole rack.

My opinion is that the kick should be standalone.

I don't know if anybody tried this standalone stand from triggerhead.

roel

Hello,
Maby I can help you with this link:
http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php/topic,794.msg7849.html#msg7849

I know that Ronniev had made a standalone kickholder for the 2box kickpad but I don't have any photo's
of it.
The MK1 Rack is weaker then the MK2 rack. I still must update my kickpad too,I have also have the MK1 kickpad.

edtc

Quote from: giantsou on November 18, 2011, 08:32:36 AM

Does anybody know about the compatability and the general behavior of the Roland kd 85 V Drums Kick pad with the 2 box module?

Thanx

hi

Roland kd 85 should work fine ... i own a Roland PD85 and it works fine with the drumit module as a tom ....

If you have some manual abilities and time , it s quite easy to DIY a mesh head kick drum ....

There are some designs on the web ... 

The way i did mine , you ll need a 12" or 13" tom , a DDT dual ply mesh head , a PEARL ISS tom holder ,2 floor tom like foot holders ,  a pearl  JUNGLE KIT ( normally made for converting a floor tom into a bass drum ) , one piezo transducer some wires and a jack plug , some foam , a round piece of wood , 3 small mounting angle and screws .....

....   maybe 2 hours of work  and voila ... 

it can be really cheap if you allready have the tom and the ISS ... i ve bought the jungle kit new for 9 euros ... floor tom like  holders can be canibalized from an old floor tom ...

mine costed me maybe 60€....

it s just a question of time and will ...

giantsou

hi edtc,

as i see you have very good manual abilities and fantasy too. very good construction.

unforunatly i don't have such abilities but even more, no time at all.

thanks anyway for the hint about the PD85 tom pad!

johnnycajon

I bought a 2Box kit last week having a Roland TD-9 KX. I love the 2 BOx so far but it has niggles sure. The retailer told me that Roland pads wouldn't work with the 2Box. As soon as  a got it home I linked up two additional Roland pads (one cymbal/one tom) and surprise surprise they work perfectly. I haven't tried the kick drum but I will later tho week and post an update as to how it performs if it's of interest. I think it would be fine.
Cheers.

digitalDrummer

Quote from: johnnycajon on December 05, 2011, 08:01:10 AM
I linked up two additional Roland pads (one cymbal/one tom) and surprise surprise they work perfectly.
Just out of interest, do you get good rim response from the Roland tom? I tested a bunch of triggers with a 2box module for our e-snare review and found very few pads produce acceptable rim response. Also, I assume you're using a Roland cymbal as a crash - not a ride.

giantsou

hello johnnycajon,

did you tried the kickpad from your  TD-9 KX, with the 2box brain?

by the way, do you play cajon johnny?

drum-de

Hi there,

Here is a quick review of mine concerning Roland Pads:
KD-8 doesn't work fine with OS 1.24. It has been working fine with OS 1.20.

PD-80R can do the "mono"-job. But: you easily get into the clip-zone.
Using stereo-cables and an attached sound on rim will not work. In fact, this pad will also not be able to be hooked directly onto the module.

PD-125: same as PD-80R. Not as fast as the PD-80R running into the clip-zone.
You can hear the clip-zone on headphones. Running the module with a PA is much worse.

Here is what I do:
Drumkit 1:Every Roland-pad is hooked to my TD-8. I send MIDI-signals from TD-8 to 2Box.
The Roland cymbals hooked directly onto the 2Box-module.
The CY-12R/C is connected to both modules to get three sounds out of it (bow bell edge). With an former OS  the CY-12R/C was able to give three sounds via one cable, hooked to 2Box. This function got lost.

Drumkit 2:Every DIY-Pad (20" Kick, 10" Toms, 12" Toms) directly runs into the 2Box. Is works fine. Only my 14" Snare, DDrum-Trigger, will not work as good as I expected it to. I probably switch back to the TD-8 with it.

Latency:
There is no latency at all.

Greets

drum-de