News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

MIDI in and 2box

Started by the3D, November 13, 2011, 03:52:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the3D

Hi,

i just bought a 2box kit and i have to say dynamics and sounds are awesome, it's like playing a real dumkit. My only problem is related to the midi in. In fact i have a trigger IO that i usually use to connect all my other stuff - some kittoys cymbals, some dyi percussion triggers -  and i wanted to use it through the midi in input of the 2box module. Unfortunately it seems to me that, unlike roland modules in which i can assign a midi note to a sound no matter where the midi note is coming from - module or midi in -, i can only assign notes to a module output. this means for example that if i want to trigger a sound from the midi in i need to configure a pad zone with that sound first . so for example, if i want to use a cowbell sound, i have to set that sound on the rim of a tom, and choose the same note value for the midi in. This works but this way i lose the tom rim and this really bothers me.  And the worst thing is that this way you cant add as many pads as you want, because you are limited by the number of inputs available. Is that true or i'm missing something? I hope i'm wrong because it would be a real shame to have a module with potentially infinite sounds but only 24 available at the same time.

the3D

ah and another question, how does the usb midi mode work? when i plug in the usb cable nothing happens, unless i start the module in usb mode. The module is correctly recognized as an external storage device.

Deve Loper

Hi.
There are no MIDI notes available except those which "match" a specific zone on a specific channel.
So one can not play additional sounds beyond the ones on the 15 drum channels.
There is currently no MIDI over USB.
Deve.

rhysT

Hi guys from a potential 2boxer,

My query relates to 3D's as I'd like to midi control 2box sounds from a DTX multipad and vice versa.
Have any changes been made in the OS upgrade/s to allow 'spare' midi notes to be assigned to extra sounds that could be triggered via midi? I suspect that nothing's changed but just checking as it would be very useful and will influence my kit purchase decision.
Also a trivial question - Is there any reason why the module channel zones are numbered 1,4,8,9 and not just 1,2,3,4 - I was kinda hoping there may be some unused zones.

edtc

no changes about that ...

rhysT

Not to worry - maybe I should add a request to the Drumit 6 wishlist!

At least via midi, I could trigger 2 layered sounds from the 2box (1x2box + 1xM12) or up to 5 combined from the Multi-12 (4xM12 + 1x2box) as each M12 pad has 4 layers which can have any available midi note and voice assigned to them.
They could be simply mixed together by connecting the Multi-12's Phones output to the 2box Line input.