News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

drumit with ddrum hardware

Started by torbs, September 21, 2009, 10:27:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

torbs

Hi

I own a ddrum 4 SE and use it live and in the studio. As a big ddrum fan I am really interested in the new kit, but I have a few questions. May be somebody has some answers already.

1) I was wondering if I could use my ddrum pads (castprecision with mesh-heads) and cymbals with just the new module once it is available ?

2) Hyperactive (distributor in Germany) is not shipping the kit gerading some firmware issues. The want to wait for version 1.0. Any idea when that will happen ?

3) I heard, that there is only 9% storage left, will there be more storage in future models or flash-cards etc ?

4) Did anybody get a feedback regarding how the kit sounds over a P.A ?

Thanks in advance

Thorsten

Scottie

Quote from: torbs on September 21, 2009, 10:27:52 AM
Hi

I own a ddrum 4 SE and use it live and in the studio. As a big ddrum fan I am really interested in the new kit, but I have a few questions. May be somebody has some answers already.

1) I was wondering if I could use my ddrum pads (castprecision with mesh-heads) and cymbals with just the new module once it is available ?

2) Hyperactive (distributor in Germany) is not shipping the kit gerading some firmware issues. The want to wait for version 1.0. Any idea when that will happen ?

3) I heard, that there is only 9% storage left, will there be more storage in future models or flash-cards etc ?

4) Did anybody get a feedback regarding how the kit sounds over a P.A ?

Thanks in advance

Thorsten

Hi Thorsten

1) I am finding out from the guys at 2box just how compatible the pads are with the DrumIt Five Unit.

2) The latest info i had regarding Version 1.0 is that it is going to hit in October, so not that far away now.

3) When you receive the unit there is only 9% storage left. You will be able to delete the sounds off of the card, and load your own on, so you will have the 4GB to play with.
There is also going to be three times loss less compression implemented in an update, so in theory that will give you more storage to play with.

4) I haven't heard it through a PA system yet, but we do have it going through some high end studio monitors in the office, and it sounds fantastic. Very crisp and clear.

Once i have the info about the ddrum pads i will let you know  :)

Thanks
Scott

puttenvr

Scottie

Hi Torbs

Ok basically you would have to adjust the sensitivity a bit on the Unit for the pads to works. Bengt at 2box was saying though that he thinks the cymbals will only be able to have one sounds. I will check this tomorrow when i am back in the office, with one of our ddrum cymbals for you.

Thanks
Scott

p.s puttenvr, if it is'nt to much trouble would you be able to translate that post in to english, as i would be really interested in webfox opinion? Thanks  ;D

puttenvr

Here's the translation:
-------------------------------------

Hello

I just returned from the first live gig with the DrumIt. We played 2 hours on a truck platform.
I used all the included hardware and the rack.

I just set up the kit, sat down and played it. Everything is great. Clear, distinct sound, technicians happy, audience happy, happy band, I am happy. The rack wobbled much, but it stood without hesitation! That were the positive points, in short.

Two things were negative. The cymbal holders have poor thread ends. One of them already is distroyed. The second problem was that the hi-hat is tilted inside the bracket. The hi-hat has no legs, but is only held by a clamp. At the end of the gig the "stand" was pretty oblique. Of course it was playable, but it's not okay. The only solution is a better hi-hat stand.

By the way: today the drumkit was plugged in on just 2 channels. Not on all separate outputs. We first want to try this in the rehearsal room, in peace

Even in this live situation the dynamics were very pleasant without any velocity errors. Sidestick was neither a problem.

thijs

I agree about the Hi-hat stand, it doesn't stay straight if you play it for a while. The guys at 2box should add something to keep it fixed in place at the bottom.

puttenvr

The rubber inserts from the clamp don't surround the pipe tube.
I wonder what happens if you remove them and just fix the hihat firmly into the clamp

Dr.Wu

i also killed one of the threads of the cymbal holder within a couple of days.
Still waiting for a replacement since a couple of weeks.
In the meantime i replaced the hihat stand with a real one-night and day differnece.
Kickdrum is the next to go-i just ordered the cheapest Roland one. Thats the one i had before the 2box and it was much quieter.
:rock:

Scottie

Quote from: thijs on September 23, 2009, 07:14:35 PM
I agree about the Hi-hat stand, it doesn't stay straight if you play it for a while. The guys at 2box should add something to keep it fixed in place at the bottom.

Hi thijs

There is a new clamp coming with the next shipment. This will be free of charge to people that have already brought the kit. I will see if i can get a picture for you.

EDIT: Thanks for the translation puttenvr, good to hear that he was happy after a live gig  :)

Thanks
Scott

NeilC

Hi Scottie, hope the wee bairn is ok?

I dunno if I read on this forum or another but Bengt had confirmed that there were gonna be numerous improvements to next lot of kits (hardware wise) will all these be available to exisiting owners, and how does this get sorted?

Cheers mate
Neil

icesurf3r

Improved hardware sounds great, plus free upgrades for people who have already bought the kit seems like great customer service to me. 

One of the main points to remember though, for all those that keep moaning about the quality of the supplied hardware**, is that the drumit5 is propabably THE ONLY E-drum kit i know of that comes with the hardware included i.e bass pedal & HH stand (i.e clamp to frame).  Rolands certainly don't if you buy a kit that comes with the vh11 or vh12 and none of their models have a bass pedal included.  So I think that fact alone is something they should be commended for. Yes it's not going to be the cutting edge of hardware, but it certainly means that for someoone like me who hasn't played the drums in a long long time, and has no spare hardware lying around, it's a straight out of the 2boxs'* solution.

*pun intended  ;D
** not necessarily on this forum  ;D

Dr.Wu

true about the not included hihat stand with any Roland kit but they do offer an addon package for all of their kits that includes a seat, a kickdrumpedal and some sticks. Essential neccesities!
:rock:

Scottie

Quote from: NeilC on September 24, 2009, 10:36:19 AM
Hi Scottie, hope the wee bairn is ok?

I dunno if I read on this forum or another but Bengt had confirmed that there were gonna be numerous improvements to next lot of kits (hardware wise) will all these be available to exisiting owners, and how does this get sorted?

Cheers mate
Neil

Hey Neil

Yeah little one is doing great thanks. Can't believe how quick she is growing!

The only the hardware improvement on the next shipment is the added hihat clamp. When the shipment comes through the door, i will let you all know and then i can collect some details (address) and send one out for you.  :)

Thanks
Scott

Peter W

Why not just use a better kick pedal and hi hat? I think if you are willing to invest this much into a kit ,it would be mandatory to buy a real hat stand and kick as well as a snare stand. Roland charges a lot more for their kits and they have no snare stand ,kick pedal or hi hat stand.

How much more stable is the kit with a snare stand and real hi hat stand?

Peter

puttenvr

I think 30%

The main concern for me is: are the parts strong enough to survive heavy use, live gigs, road travels?
A ''real'' hihat stand and snare stand can be weak, too