News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

A little help with cymbals please!

Started by signature, December 24, 2010, 12:53:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

signature

I have the MkII straight out of the box(s).

Everything works great, and sounds stunning. I have been playing acoustic kits for years, and obviously enjoy it, but love the ability to change sounds that an ekit provides, and temper the volume as well! This my first e-kit and I am trying to understand all the jargon and lingo, plus the technical stuff.

I am having a little bit of trouble with one of the cymbals that i have fitted to cymbal 1. I believe this is typically a crash cymbal sound on most pre-loaded kits.

when i strike it on the edge, as i would an acoustic kit, expecting a "crash" sound, the result is mostly fairly quiet and uninspiring, not punchy and emphasised as I would expect. I don't know if this is a fault or just a setup issue. I have been adjusting the volume on the cymbal, with no real improvement, and also tapping around the cymbal, and sometimes i get a loud "crash" sound, especially when i play around the bell, but not when i hit the edge, or anywhere else.

Cymbal 2, which i presume is a ride cymbal typically, seems to respond better.

Any thoughts?

signature

Ok Since my last post i have swapped the two cymbals around - i mean the hardware only, pulling out the cables, and then reattaching to the swapped cymbals. There is no change in the sound, so I guess my issue is not hardware related.

So how do I get more "punch" or probably better expressed as "Crash"?

signature

OK i think the issue is simply the levels set for the particular drum kits i was favouring. That is kits 1 and 2. The crash 1 cymbal is not that loud, so i have turned it up (I havent been game to turn on the "Save?" yet, as I no doubt will make some mistakes along the way, since this is my first week with the kit). The triggering is a little hard to control though - sometimes the same location and pressure returns a different sound. This is not much of a drama for me, as in a live situation I am playing with the band so little mistakes are not uncommon. :-\

signature

hah! is this the first topic that has been 100% Q and A'ed by the author? Thats what you get for living in the southern hemisphere!

Evy

Well done! There are plenty of people on this site who can help loads if any issues arise!

waynec42

Quote from: signature on December 24, 2010, 12:53:37 AM
I have the MkII straight out of the box(s).

Everything works great, and sounds stunning. I have been playing acoustic kits for years, and obviously enjoy it, but love the ability to change sounds that an ekit provides, and temper the volume as well! This my first e-kit and I am trying to understand all the jargon and lingo, plus the technical stuff.

I am having a little bit of trouble with one of the cymbals that i have fitted to cymbal 1. I believe this is typically a crash cymbal sound on most pre-loaded kits.

when i strike it on the edge, as i would an acoustic kit, expecting a "crash" sound, the result is mostly fairly quiet and uninspiring, not punchy and emphasised as I would expect. I don't know if this is a fault or just a setup issue. I have been adjusting the volume on the cymbal, with no real improvement, and also tapping around the cymbal, and sometimes i get a loud "crash" sound, especially when i play around the bell, but not when i hit the edge, or anywhere else.

Cymbal 2, which i presume is a ride cymbal typically, seems to respond better.

Any thoughts?

I'm having the exact same problem. I don't think it's related to the kit but more a software triggering issue. It's almost like the zones are around the wrong way. The edge should give you the bigger louder sound, not the bell. It's backwards. I've emailed 2box in the hope they will identity the problem and release an upgrade.

fishmonkey

before the current version of the firmware, the triggering zones on the cymbals were really messed up.

the current firmware is an improvement, but is still far from perfect. harder hits on the bell result in bell triggers, however softer bell hits tend to result in loud bow triggers.

roel

Quote from: fishmonkey on January 02, 2011, 11:58:11 AM
before the current version of the firmware, the triggering zones on the cymbals were really messed up.

the current firmware is an improvement, but is still far from perfect. harder hits on the bell result in bell triggers, however softer bell hits tend to result in loud bow triggers.

yes that's what I noticed too, the cymbals and in my opinion the ride triggering still needs an improvement...