News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

How does it feel

Started by Tossy, December 14, 2010, 03:48:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tossy

I am asking this because there is no where in my area to have a bash on one of these kits.

I love the look, I love the sound (from the recordings).

Do the pads feel anything like what is on the market already. Does the mesh feel like rolands mesh, or yamaha's silicone or other?

I am going way over budget to buy one of these, I could just grab a DTX550 for $2k less

Thanks in advance

p.s. I will say, i am also nervous about the HH issue I keep reading about

Scottie

Hi Tossy

Can i ask what HH issues you have been reading about?

Thanks
Scott

hefu

The feel is fantastic! If I play with headphones, I could just aswell be playing my acoustic kit miked up.
Sure, meshpads are meshpads, they feel more or less alike.
But, the big difference with the 2box is the cymbals. Because they actually are made of metal, they MOVE like real cymbals.

Then, of course, the pedal that comes along isn't the best, but you get it at no extra charge! Same with the hihat-stand.
I don't use those, I use my ol' dw's.

Like Scottie wondered: what problems with the hihat? I tend to have more of a hard time with my ridecymbal, than anything, but it still works ok.

Join the club, buy a 2Box kit!

puttenvr

When the first rumours about the 2Box kit appeared in the media, I sold my ddrum and waited for a 2Box because ...
1. the specs were very promissing
2. I trusted the 2 guys who worked for ddrum/clavia before
3. I had bad experiences with other e-drum brands like Roland. So this one should be better

It was worth waiting all those months

This is the best e-kit around
Even if it was 1,000 euros more I would buy it
It's worth every penny
Perfect? No But who is?

Evy

Just to add to what hefu said...the feel is very good.  Especially when you're listening through headphones you almost forget you're playing an e kit.  The realism is also aided by the incredible tracking and sensitivity.  I've owned roland before, their mesh heads are way bouncier and more unforgiving.  Feels more fake.  DO NOT BUY A DTX550!!!!  I picked one up before putting out the cash for 2Box, and returned it the very next day.  The yammie is like a toy in comparison, both sound wise and feel.  Spend the extra cash on the 2box, more than worth it.

Evy

ps:  I happen to love the hi hat, and I don't think I've ever calibrated it properly!

Slagverket

Regarding the "hi-hat" issue... I think it's a general confusion. For my own part I have had a general issue regarding hi-hats of ANY e-drum set-up. Since the hi-hat is a very complicated instrument to mimic and many A-kit drummers who want a 2:nd e-drum set-up would LIKE (in their dreams, as of yet) the e-hats to be JUST as the A:s... it's a constant issue of debate for a lot of drummers. But I don't think it's a 2box issue at all.

Also there have been a lot of talk in the forums regarding hi-hat triggering of VST software like BFD and SD2. That is ALSO an issue that is ongoing regardeless of brand. An issue that is not connected to the "ordinary" hi-hat debacle...

The many questions regarding hi-hat feel, perfomance and whatever will be on until someone (2box worlds first  ;D ) manages to mimic the hats to perfection. And until the VST developers take e-drumming dead seriously ;-)

So, in general for e-drumming there are issues with double triggering, that you have to adapt to off center playing on some pads (Poland)... and a number of other issues big and small. The bottom line is that E:s are NOT A:s... but the 2box kit is (like so many have stated) very good value for money and a real great invention that will push all of e-drumming forward since it has some not before seen real creative features. And all that from a company that don't have the massive backing of some of the others. That IS impressive, and something to support!

As always, if possible, try to play the kit you want to buy before you purchase. Go with the one that suits your playing preference and situation.

Just my 2c

Tossy

i have just put $500 down on one of the few kits that are coming to Australia in the next few days.

You guys sold me. I am going to buy it blind over buying the DTX550

Evy

well done!  you'll soon understand there's no comparison between the 550 and 2Box.  To add to the feel thread....the 2Box is the first ekit I've played that i actually ENJOY playing and want to play more because the sounds and feel ARE so good.  I could go on for hours...but I won't.  enjoy your kit!

hwasser

I was actually positive suprised by the 2box when I got it. I was always dissapointed by the rolands small pads and their soft rubberplastic cymbals (feels like playing on rubberboots)

rythm

Tossy: sounds great, doubt you´ll be disappointed. Welcome into the DrumIt world!  :patbat2box:

Tossy

I received my 2BOX today!!!!!  :patbat2box:

Sounds great, feels great. I love it.

A quick question without opening another topic.

In all the MKII pictures I have seen the bass drum is transparent (like all the other pads) but the one I received has the heavy black plastic backing like the MKI pictures.

Is this normal? I think it looks better without it, is it necessary?

rcprod

I received my new MKII kit last week and it also has the black on the front. I thought it was metal, but could be plastic. Personally I like it with the 2Box name in the front.

puttenvr

Perhaps they ship the old kick pads with the black fronts, first
I prefer the old pad, btw
It's so much classy to have a black front, with logo and LED light ...

Evy

Glad you are happy with your new 2Box!  I went to my local store today where I got my kit, they had no intention of ordering any more for the time being...long story short, the salesman finally got to try one, they've ordered several more!  What's the old saying?  Trying is believing?