News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

HELP : my bass drum fixation screw is broken!!!!!

Started by gregsim, December 19, 2013, 03:55:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gregsim

Hello,

I have removed my bass drum, for moving my 2box (MK1???) drum set.
When I have loosened and removed the 2 screws that tightens the bass drum support to the rack, a little metal piece has come with one of the screw, and it's not normal!
If I look to the other screw, this piece must stay into the thread!

I have looked on the web, it is a system called "insert" or "Helicoil".

I managed to take off the little spring from the screw, but from now it is impossible to put it back into the thread...
Thus I have bought a bolt of the appropriate diameter (I'd say 8 mm), but the threaded size is not the same!!

I have written to my local distributor (la boite noire, in France), but no response...
By the way, sorry for the improper technical words, it's not easy to describe it! :-)

I am now unable to fix my bass drum on the rack...

If someone has an idea, or maybe somebody did have the problem, I would be glad to solve my point, because from now, I can no more play!!!! :-(((

Thanks!!

Lustar

Hi gregsim,

It seems like Helicoils are not the kind of pieces that are meant to be removed so that would explain why it broke. If you bring the Helicoil to a hardware store you may be able to find a perfect replacement and install it in place of the stock one. It could be hard to find a perfect fit for the bolt, but maybe you can find a perfect replacement for the Helicoil? Searching for both you'll have better chances of finding one that works. There are Android and iPhone apps to measure a screw thread. It would be too bad having to buy a new kick mount for one screw.

Here's a pdf with all part numbers, in case it helps putting a name/reference to the part you need
http://www.triggerhead.com/page/files/products/2box/files/Separat_Parts%202box.pdf
It's on page 10

gregsim

Hi Lustar!

Thank for your answer, and your advices!
As far as I learned on the subject since 2 days, it seems actually that the Helicoil is not meant to be removed...

In a first time I will bring the "Kick holder" to a hardware store, and pray that they find out a way to repair it.

As you say, I'd would rather buying something else for my drumkit for Xmas instead of replacing the whole kick mount! :-)

Thanks again for your answer, and for the pdf referencing every part of the 2box. I keep it preciously!

Greg.

DocBrown

What's the 'Hellicoil'? Because I disassemble (is that the right word?) my whole kit twice a week, and I wouldn't like to damage any small stupid part...

gregsim

Hello Doc Emmett Brown! :-)

The "Helicoil" seems to be the brand name of the little spring located inside the thread, permitting to put the screw.
It is also called "insert". Normally this insert must stay inside the thread, but in my case it has come with the wing screw when i removed it...

The question I asked, is "what is the use of this little piece????? ; Why it is not a simple bolt or screw instead???"

As far as I have inquired on the subject, the use of the insert is for avoiding the screw to loosen, due to the vibrations of the kick drum...

It seems like I have to replace the entire piece (10040 - kick holder, about 80 euros), only for one little spring!!!!

The 2Box support team put me in touch with the french reseller for finding the appropriate solution...

Meanwhile, I have put a piece of wood behind the kick to block and maintain it. It is cheap, easy to build, but the kick vibrates a lot!