News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Best way to get multi-track audio out of 2Box?

Started by peanutismint, October 08, 2014, 10:11:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanutismint

I'm thinking about buying a 2Box module for use with my Roland TD-8KV kit, and one of the main advantages to me (apart from the better sounds) is being able to take individual audio outputs to my mixer/computer for recording. However, running one cable per drum is going to get messy, especially over the other side of my room. I could get a Jack to Jack snake but I'll still be using up a lot of channels on my interface.

I thought about buying a jack-to-ADAT interface or similar, plugging in all the 2Box channels and then running one ADAT cable to my interface. Is this something others have done or is there an easier way that I'm missing?? The ideal would be the ability to connect the 2Box module to my computer via USB and get all the separate audio tracks over that..... But I doubt that's feasible.

Any suggestions?

fishmonkey

what operating system are you running (OS X, Windows, Linux), and what is your main audio interface?

to have a multichannel USB connection you would need another whole audio interface. on OS X you could configure an aggregate audio device that encapsulates multiple interfaces (not the ideal solution however).

otherwise, there are quite a few different multichannel AD converter boxes with ADAT outputs available these days...

peanutismint

Primarily using a Mac system but have a Windows machine too. I have a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 which is a FireWire interface. When recording real drums I'm finding I run out of inputs quite quickly (it only has 8 preamp inputs) but it also has optical SPDIF/ADAT inputs that are unused, so I've been thinking about getting an ADAT interface with preamps (although if I used it for this purpose I assume I'd only need a line level jack to ADAT interface...). I think this would probably be the best option for me, but for the price of this 2box thing I'd have liked to think it'd have some sort of semi-pro multitrack recoding solution (like a built-in ADAT output!).

tower of p

Hi Peanut,

assuming there is a midi out on the td-8 brain, there might be another solution for you: a drum-vst on your computer (sd2 , bfd or drumasonic for example). you go midi out of your brain and into your focusrite. the sounds of todays vsts are real drumsounds as well, just like the 2box-sounds. so you wouldn't even have to buy the 2box brain (although I really DO recommend the 2box!!).
it is possible to split your midi-recording to separate tracks in logic (don´t know if this works in garageband as well)

peanutismint

Thanks mate; I already use a drum sample VST with my kit (Toontrack's 'Superior Drummer') for recording and process each drum on individual channels with individual FX etc, but I feel it still lacks realism. I've never been able to tweak the sensitivity or thresholds etc. to just the right level to get it sounding like I'm playing a real kit... Things like the hihat pedal not quite transmitting a broad enough variation of signals mean everything I play comes out quite 'robotic' or monotimbral and so I usually end up just going over it all again in the MIDI editor and tweaking it rather than just being able to work from a single played take...

Anvil123

Hi I am learning, for this non-tech drum guy, been some enormous challenges, but I am finally setting up with 8 outputs directly from module, through interface to Reaper with a Tascam US 1800... just setting it up.  has up to 16 inputs.

So I will be able to mix the drums levels separate etc.

Plus I am hooking up BFD3... almost have my first template tweaked... I reasearched the heck out of drum VSTs and BFD IS the best... I just upgraded from BFD2... 3 is nothing short of amazing... smooth, super pro and holy wow. For me big learning curve with BFD but for recording... unbelievable.  Combined with 2box module kits... having total pro drums will add credibility to our recordings for sure.

Getting best sound on super low budget, got BFD3 upgrade for only $149 from ebay.  Enjoy...

Happy Drumming

JameStickson ;D

mcrackins

Just did the same. assigned each drum/cymbal to it's own bus, then into individual inputs on my Focusrite 18i8 Scarlet. I created a document map so I wouldn't forget how to do everything. Once I got everything figured out for the input assignments I created a song template in Studio One. I'm using Steve Slate 4 Platinum VSTs that I imported using Lustar. I've got some pretty nice drum sounds happening for a new recording project I've just started.  I used a kick from one kit, snare and toms from another and cymbals from another. I'll post some samples in a few months when I've done the recording.

I'll look into BFD3 down the road...pretty steep pricing coming in fresh though.

Quote from: Anvil123 on January 14, 2015, 06:17:10 AM
Hi I am learning, for this non-tech drum guy, been some enormous challenges, but I am finally setting up with 8 outputs directly from module, through interface to Reaper with a Tascam US 1800... just setting it up.  has up to 16 inputs.

So I will be able to mix the drums levels separate etc.

Plus I am hooking up BFD3... almost have my first template tweaked... I reasearched the heck out of drum VSTs and BFD IS the best... I just upgraded from BFD2... 3 is nothing short of amazing... smooth, super pro and holy wow. For me big learning curve with BFD but for recording... unbelievable.  Combined with 2box module kits... having total pro drums will add credibility to our recordings for sure.

Getting best sound on super low budget, got BFD3 upgrade for only $149 from ebay.  Enjoy...

Happy Drumming

JameStickson ;D

Anvil123

Cool... lots to learn thanks everyone for making this such an awesome forum.

Tony, Jman and all great stuff on routing options... slow but sure.  No I was not born with a computer in my hands, but am learning. :rock:

thegoud

Thought I'd chime in since I'm exploring this topic too. Only familiar with bfd3 so far, which records each sample set with a direct mic + 3 room/ambient stereo pairs (w/separate depth controls for each pair) + several (individually pan-able) mono mics. So I think it makes sense to record with 4 stereo outputs, instead of outputting each drum separately over 8 mono channels. For instance, the bass drum alone on a stereo output gives you a lot of depth even if the drum is centered in the mix. So, maybe something like: kick 1-2, snare/hihat 2-3, toms 4-5, & cymbals 7-8...

Anvil123

Well, finally figured out output routing.  I swore I was going to keep my set up simple but just maxed out triggers with y-cables - 5 toms, plus side drum, snare, kick, plus 6 cymbals and hi hat... fun.

routing went with:

1     hi hat
2     kick
3/4  snare (stereo, thanks guys)
5/6  toms
7/8  cymbals/percussion (all rims are now cymbals except hi tom - was able to rout hi tom into toms on 5/6)

BFD3 I am still setting up, just setting up with new Tascam US-1800 interface... up to 16 inputs - great budget interface !

BFD3 kicks are amazing, as is the the whole set up... I will expand the kick in BFD3 to augment and add punch to the drum mix.  I was an acoustic only drum purest and total non-tech drummer until about 5 years ago... all of this stuff seems to take so long, but I am determined to get the best possible recordings and maximize the fun factor.

thanks to everyone here, without this forum, I would be pulling out my hair.

Have committed to releasing 12 songs by the end of the year and will let you know when released... stepping out of my background drummer shell and singing as well... OMG!  Any BFD3 hints are much appreciated...

Not sure if this forum is ok to say this, but looks like BFD has partnered with another drum module company... NAMM announcement may be out soon, but I have spent so much time learning 2box and love it... I am sticking with 2box!   

Jman

Quote from: Anvil123 on January 24, 2015, 12:52:46 AM
Not sure if this forum is ok to say this, but looks like BFD has partnered with another drum module company... NAMM announcement may be out soon, but I have spent so much time learning 2box and love it... I am sticking with 2box!   
No worries for 2box owners there .... Not even in the same ballpark with us ..... to put it in perspective ...... as an example..... let's say you build a snare with 99 samples on the head and 50 samples on the rim for your 2Box module: With the NFUSD NSPIRE setup you are talking about 8 samples as the limit on any zone! Period ..... Nuff said  :patbat2box:
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

LVG

I've spent quite a bit of time trying to get BFD3 working reliably and there's definitely limitations that even the best computers will reach.

I have a new quad core Macbook Pro 2.5ghz / 16gb running Logic Pro X and VEPro. Once I've added a few plugins to the various drums I find 48khz 128 sample buffer is the maximum I can work with before I get pops and crackles. Even with my MOTU 1248 thunderbolt interface the round trip latency for this scenario equates to about 8ms, which is usable but means the Macbook really isn't able to perform any other tasks than playing drums.

I'm now looking back at the 2box hardware 8 output option. Final sound quality might not be quite as good but latency and reliability will probably be a lot better.

Anvil123

Hello LVG and all,

I spent one heck of a long time getting BFD3 going smoothly for recording... my 2010 Macbook is a little slow compared to suped up or newer models.  BFD recommends n external Sata or esata drive... I will be buying one soon.  Meanwhile I hooked up my 7200 RPM, USB 2, Western Digital external drive, moved samples to external hard drive and it has really improved BFD performance :)

I am currently recording, so I use BFD on 16bit economy, then play back Full Detail, along with 2box 8 eight outs... sounds amazing... low latency and no pops.  I have pretty much 3 fave, tweaked, 2box kits for recording. 

An option is to add Mac/Windows partition then get Lustar's load kit program... load BFD into 2box module.

2box module is slow in BFD MIDI delivery... MDI out is so slow - my old Alesis DM10 module with USB direct to computer was much faster and less taxing on my computer.  I am sure next 2box will have USB MIDI next module... I do love 2box and have spent so much time in getting recording going - now I am working with what I have :)

Drum on yo!

JameStickson

newmod

Quote from: Anvil123 on January 24, 2015, 12:52:46 AM
Well, finally figured out output routing.  I swore I was going to keep my set up simple but just maxed out triggers with y-cables - 5 toms, plus side drum, snare, kick, plus 6 cymbals and hi hat... fun.

routing went with:

1     hi hat
2     kick
3/4  snare (stereo, thanks guys)
5/6  toms
7/8  cymbals/percussion (all rims are now cymbals except hi tom - was able to rout hi tom into toms on 5/6)

BFD3 I am still setting up, just setting up with new Tascam US-1800 interface... up to 16 inputs - great budget interface !

BFD3 kicks are amazing, as is the the whole set up... I will expand the kick in BFD3 to augment and add punch to the drum mix.  I was an acoustic only drum purest and total non-tech drummer until about 5 years ago... all of this stuff seems to take so long, but I am determined to get the best possible recordings and maximize the fun factor.

thanks to everyone here, without this forum, I would be pulling out my hair.

Have committed to releasing 12 songs by the end of the year and will let you know when released... stepping out of my background drummer shell and singing as well... OMG!  Any BFD3 hints are much appreciated...

I just got my 2box module yesterday. It is amazing. I had the roland td-8 vexed and it is not even in the same league. Thanks to Jman for hi hat controller and 32G sd card and expander. I am currently using all 8 outputs for recording as well.

1 snare
2 Bass drum
3 Hi Hat
4 ride
5/6 stereo for 4 toms
7 Crash
8 Crash

I wanted to use stereo out for snare, But I wanted to use that extra output for the ride.  So I recorded a 2 minute segment and after recording I copied and pasted snare track to another track and panned original snare track right and pasted track left for stereo. It has the same effect is running stereo out of 2box.

mcrackins

Guys, if you're looking for a big improvement in performance either on your OS drive or external, go with SSD drives.

The read/write performance is miles better than SATA drives

http://www.storagereview.com/ssd_vs_hdd

These give a nice performance leap on older hardware

http://www.amazon.ca/Samsung-Internal-Solid-State-Drive/dp/B00E3W19MO/ref=sr_1_2/182-2512286-7637442?ie=UTF8&qid=1425108500&sr=8-2&keywords=ssd+500gb

External SSD's are still pretty pricey though

http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=ssd%20external&sprefix=ssd+external%2Caps