News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

O/S 1.24 Bug! PLEASE FIX :)

Started by twisted.mellow, February 22, 2012, 09:33:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twisted.mellow

Hi,

I've found an issue in the O/S 1.24 firmware (Not sure if it's in previous firmwares, but definitely in this one!).

I've been assembling some kits, and am using the following structure:

Kit1
Kit1.dkit
- crash1.dsnd
- crash2.dsnd
- snare1.dsnd
- snare2.dsnd

Kit2
Kit2.dkit
- crash1.dsnd
- crash2.dsnd
- snare1.dsnd
- snare2.dsnd

Kit3
Kit2.dkit
- crash1.dsnd
- crash2.dsnd
- snare1.dsnd
- snare2.dsnd

Now, I went through and setup all the kits this morning in their single kit files (Kit?.dkit).
Kit1 was assigned crash1 from the Kit1 folder, etc.

When I switch between them, each detects crash1, crash2 etc. ONLY from the FIRST KIT DIRECTORY!

The system is searching for the first file called "crash1", and not referring to the directory.

Anyone else experience this? I would REALLY like a fix for this, as I do not want to individually
uniquely name my files!

Thanks,

Ian

twisted.mellow

P.S. I thought I was going mad and had picked the wrong sample files, but I checked and checked again!

digitalDrummer

Hey Ian, it's probably best to report this to 2box directly (if you haven't already done so).
Allan

twisted.mellow

lol... good point. I keep forgetting this is the "unofficial" forum even though it says so in the title!

AND the developer is here sometimes too :)

twisted.mellow

Well, I got a response from 2Box support.

Apparently this is by design - and to a point, I understand their way of thinking - if you have two different cymbal sounds, you should really call them two different things.

However, consider these points:
- The module SUPPORTS directories, and by default, stores their own sounds in separate directories.
- They provide a function to tap the sound selection dial and go into "directory mode" where you can quickly navigate through these directories to find your sound.
- As it is, the module has a limited capacity to show sound names on the screen. Having cymbal1.dsnd and cymbal2.dsnd in separate directories allows you to organize better and see more information on the screen.

Does anyone agree with me? As a result of this, I had to go through each one of my sounds and uniquely name them in order to get things working.

They don't consider this a bug, but also stated they will take my issue into consideration, which I know they will - they are a "listening" company. Maybe some extra voices to support my argument is all I'm after...

I also note that someone else would like to do away with the 100 kits and run singular kit files. Here's hoping :D

signature

hi TM, I am not sure why you would do it the way you have done it. WHat is the advantage? I am quite new at modifying my kit so am genuinely interested. However I believe that 2box has got it right, as each kit selects from a "database" of sounds, so you can use the same sound in different kits but not need 2 copies of the same dsnd to do so. Anyway I am still learning so I look forward to your reasoning.

fishmonkey

depending on how you use the unit, it can make sense to have your kits organised in separate directories. it means that you can easily add kits to or remove kits from the SD card without worrying about samples becoming disconnected from their kits.

this is especially important if you don't have enough room on your SD card and you like to change kits around regularly.

signature

Thanks Fishmonkey that makes sense! As you say, I imagine it is particularly important if you run out of memory

twisted.mellow

I wish to do this for the exact same reason as computers have directories. It helps to organize sounds. I have a numbers of kits with different ambiences in them and a cymbal with a lot of room feed does not work well with the rest of a kit that has been recorded in a flat environments. My kits are kits in true sense of the word... They belong together and travel as a set. Capacity isn't a problem (yet), but I use two modules and moving the sets around is so much easier when using directories.

signature

hmmm excellent ... technologically advanced! I was hoping my sound mixing  engineer would do all that for me. Oh thats right, I don't have one! :)