News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

2Box owners Poll

Started by Baby Samus, April 13, 2010, 10:13:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How many of you 2Box owners are having problems you cannot fix, like crosstalk or double triggering?

Yes, I have problems with crosstalk
4 (13.8%)
Yes, I have problems with double triggering
8 (27.6%)
Yes, I have problems with rack stability causing crosstalk only
0 (0%)
Yes, I have problems with rack stability causing double triggering only
0 (0%)
Yes, I have problems with rack stability causing both issues
1 (3.4%)
My problems were solved by using new hardware
2 (6.9%)
My problems were solved by pad/module replacement
2 (6.9%)
I have no problems with crosstalk or double triggering and am using only 2Box hardware
7 (24.1%)
I have no problems with crosstalk or double triggering.  I have replaced some hardware regardless in an attempt to improve the set.
4 (13.8%)
Yes, I have problems with crosstalk AND double triggering
1 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: April 20, 2010, 10:13:47 PM

spoenk

Quote from: hwasser on April 15, 2010, 12:07:18 PM

Get rid of the foam? Wonder if that will help. Will also try putting a sock on the beater, making it more soft, hmm..

i wasn't suggesting getting rid of the foam to reduce double triggers but to reduce the noise of the pad ... but still it works for me without it and after changing the trigger settings (threshold 35, gain 6) and loosening the tension of the drumhead - no double triggers ---

Manfred

Quote from: Scottie on April 15, 2010, 08:34:43 AM
Hi Manfred

Could you tell me what setting you have for the gain and thres? Also what curve setting are you using?

Thanks
Scott

Hello Scott,

until now i tried many combinations of curves, gain, and threshold-settings. Without any modifications double triggers can only be avoided by reducing the dynamic e.g. increasing the threshold to -35. But then piano rolls are also suppressed.

In this thread you can see my "quick and dirty" solution for that problem:

http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php/topic,199.msg2029.html#msg2029

I think i will try a double-ply meshhead. Nonoduweb uses a roland head and it seems to work well.

bye, Manfred

Perico

Hi,
I still have some crosstalk with my cymbals when I hit strongly rims of the toms.
The threshold of the cymbals is set to -25, the hardware is correctly tighten.
Do you need to set the threshold of your cymbals to a lower value than -25 to avoid crosstalk with toms?
Is it possible to a user who do not have crosstalk at all to share his settings?
Thanks

fishmonkey

i only recently noticed that i also have low-level crosstalk on the cymbals when playing the tom rims. it hasn't really bothered me, but could be annoying when using the kit to record MIDI.

it's not really an option for me to reduce the cymbal threshold to stop crosstalk, as i like the cymbals to be sensitive.

roel

Quote from: Perico on April 17, 2010, 04:01:04 AM
Hi,
I still have some crosstalk with my cymbals when I hit strongly rims of the toms.
The threshold of the cymbals is set to -25, the hardware is correctly tighten.
Do you need to set the threshold of your cymbals to a lower value than -25 to avoid crosstalk with toms?
Is it possible to a user who do not have crosstalk at all to share his settings?
Thanks

yes I have still got this problem too, how can we solved this problem? or will this be solved in a update?

Baby Samus

My kit is generally at these settings.

Snare:  Gain 0.  Threshold 40-48.  Curve Normal.
Toms:  Gain 0.  Threshold 36.  Curve Normal.
Base drum:  Gain 0.  Threshold 30-32.  Curve Normal.
Crash:  Gain 0.  Threshold 36.  Curve Normal.
Ride:  Gain 0-1.  Threshold 48.  Curve Normal.

No crosstalk or double triggers for me.

Perico

Waouuu I really don't know how can you do to avoid croostalk with a threshold set to 36 and 48 for your cymbals!
Even we you hit the rims you don't have any crosstalk with cymbals?
Where are your cymbals fixed? In the main upper front bar at the extreme left and right sides?
Baby Samus can you post a pic of your setup?

roel

Quote from: Baby Samus on April 18, 2010, 02:45:21 AM
My kit is generally at these settings.

Toms:  Gain 0.  Threshold 36.  Curve Normal.
Base drum:  Gain 0.  Threshold 30-32.  Curve Normal.
Crash:  Gain 0.  Threshold 36.  Curve Normal.
Ride:  Gain 0-1.  Threshold 48.  Curve Normal.

No crosstalk or double triggers for me.

OK thanx I will try it out tomorrow can you post a picture of your setup please baby samus thank you.

Manfred

Quote from: Baby Samus on April 18, 2010, 02:45:21 AM

What do you mean with "Threshold 40-48"? Do you change it from time to time? When do you use -40 or -48?

Baby Samus

Quote from: Manfred on April 18, 2010, 09:46:14 PM
What do you mean with "Threshold 40-48"? Do you change it from time to time? When do you use -40 or -48?

It just depends on how tight or slack you like to have the mesh head, and how you play.  I prefer to have between 40-48 on the snare because I feel you start to lose sensitivity when you go under maybe 38 or 36 (the way I play), so I like a happy medium between the two figures.  I don't change it much, but there is no perfect value that you can just copy.  It will all depend on how much your pad is moving, how tight your mesh is, what sticks you're using, even your playing style, just the way you are drumming might require a different threshold level.

You must find what works for you, as long as you understand what the gain and threshold settings are actually doing to the sound and be wary that only you can find the right settings for yourself.

I triedto post some pictures of my drumkit.  They are taken on my cheap camera phone, so they are terrible quality.  But it is all I have  :'(  But it says the files are too large...

fishmonkey

Quote from: Manfred on April 18, 2010, 09:46:14 PM

also remember that the gain and threshold are inter-related parameters that interact with each other.

in particular, changing your gain settings will also shift the point where the best threshold might be.

@ Baby Samus, it would be clearer when describing threshold settings if you used the "-" signs...

Baby Samus

Yeah you're right I forgot is all.  I think also in the manual somewhere it says if you increase gain to 12 or above, the module will automatically adjust the threshold to compensate for double triggers.

Baby Samus

Quote from: roel on April 18, 2010, 09:36:34 PM
OK thanx I will try it out tomorrow can you post a picture of your setup please baby samus thank you.

Here are the terrible pictures I promised...

http://www.4shared.com/photo/pap7Rx-2/19-04-10_0125.html

http://www.4shared.com/photo/6l-mDZsZ/19-04-10_0131.html
http://www.4shared.com/photo/Cd_7RJ-2/19-04-10_0129.html
http://www.4shared.com/photo/yMbHt03a/19-04-10_0128.html

Also I forgot to post my rim settings - I will do this when I can...

Manfred

Hi Baby Samus,

your assumption that all these complaints are in the minority and only "poor Manfred" is suffering on them seems to be wrong. The vote is closed now and we habe the following result:

14 of 29 users have problems with this issues
11 of 29 users have no problems
4 of 29 users needed to replace some parts to solve problems

But maybe 14 of 29 users are not able to set up the kit properly.....

puttenvr

Total Voters: 28

29 users pushed the wrong button on this poll