News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

drumasonic or spd2 do I need a daw to run them

Started by Dr.Skins, June 04, 2013, 06:57:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr.Skins

Hello wanted to know if I need a daw and a separate audio card to run either of these vst's from my mac to my 2box module?

Haggis-man

No, you're internal sound card on your Mac or PC will work just fine.

Cheers

Nico

Drumasonic uses Kontakt player, superior drummer have Toontrack solo. MIDI interface is required.
Only if you want to record, you will need a DAW.

fishmonkey

Quote from: Dr.Skins on June 04, 2013, 06:57:30 AM
Hello wanted to know if I need a daw and a separate audio card to run either of these vst's from my mac to my 2box module?

what exactly are you trying to do? are you wanting to trigger those drum samplers from your 2 Box module?

Dr.Skins

Quote from: fishmonkey on June 12, 2013, 03:12:39 AM
what exactly are you trying to do? are you wanting to trigger those drum samplers from your 2 Box module?

I would like connect my 2box module to my mac via usb cable and play the sounds from those programs. I have steven slate drums 4 but I can't  get it to work with my module I'm using a trial version of reaper, I'm a noob to this stuff.

fishmonkey

Quote from: Dr.Skins on June 12, 2013, 07:35:28 AM
I would like connect my 2box module to my mac via usb cable and play the sounds from those programs. I have steven slate drums 4 but I can't  get it to work with my module I'm using a trial version of reaper, I'm a noob to this stuff.

okay.

firstly, the USB connection is only for doing firmware updates, and changing the drum sounds or kits in the module from your computer. the USB connection does not transmit audio nor MIDI.

to trigger samples on your computer, you need to connect the 2 Box module using MIDI cables from the module via either a dedicated MIDI interface, or an audio interface that also has a MIDI input.

in other words, you cannot do it without some extra equipment.

Dr.Skins

tower of p

hi,

at least you´ll need something like this:
http://www.amazon.de/LOGILINK-USB-MIDI-Adapter-Kabel/dp/B000XRI3CC

connect the brain to computer with this, and you can play the vst-sounds via your 2box. drumasonic already has a 2box-midi-mapping integrated. for superior drummer 2 you´ll have to make one yourself (wich is easy, there are some posts to find about that in this forum)

cheers,
Lutz

fulrmr

Just curious....is there a reason you don't want to convert drumsonic and S.20 and just load it into the module?

fishmonkey

for me the main reasons for triggering via MIDI would be for better sound quality, and also ease of editing the MIDI later, and being able to swap sounds and tweak them after recording.

fulrmr

Quote from: fishmonkey on June 16, 2013, 01:22:23 AM
for me the main reasons for triggering via MIDI would be for better sound quality, and also ease of editing the MIDI later, and being able to swap sounds and tweak them after recording.

Ahh...ok...cool...for the recording end...gotcha. ;)

Dr.Skins

Quote from: tower of p on June 16, 2013, 12:44:08 AM
hi,

at least you´ll need something like this:
http://www.amazon.de/LOGILINK-USB-MIDI-Adapter-Kabel/dp/B000XRI3CC

connect the brain to computer with this, and you can play the vst-sounds via your 2box. drumasonic already has a 2box-midi-mapping integrated. for superior drummer 2 you´ll have to make one yourself (wich is easy, there are some posts to find about that in this forum)

cheers,
Lutz

Thank you very much for the info much appreciated. The reason I won't convert them is I have a macbook pro which is not supported by the conversion software and I'm not really fond of windows.

tower of p

I see. I use Win7 via Parallels Desktop to convert, works just fine. And for recording I use the Midi-setting with SD2. Works great with both, garageband and Logic.