News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

DSoundTool 1.0

Started by Louis, February 04, 2010, 09:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fuzziebea

claes1965

Hi !

But someone wrote that 1.01 is the latest version ?

1.0 and 1.01 is different versions or ??

Claes

(anybody read my other question regarding the Slate layers Z1 and Z4 ?)

Quote from: fuzziebea on May 24, 2010, 09:53:34 AM
You can find it at www.shortestpath.se/dsoundtool/.

fuzziebea

Louis

Quote from: claes1965 on May 24, 2010, 04:20:56 PM
Hi !

But someone wrote that 1.01 is the latest version ?

1.0 and 1.01 is different versions or ??

Claes

(anybody read my other question regarding the Slate layers Z1 and Z4 ?)

Hi Claes,

On http://www.shortestpath.se/dsoundtool/download.html you can only download version 1.01. (you can see the version in the menu option Help/About DSoundTool)

Regarding your question about the Slate layers, unfortunately I do not know this program.

I have Superior Drummer; in that program there is a mixer where you can mix different microphones (and effects) as you like. And when you are happy with the sound, you can use DSoundTool to create a MIDI file that contains many hits for a midi note at different velocities. Now you open your DAW, connect Superior Drummer, play the midi file and bounce the result to a wave file. And finally in DSoundTool you can convert this wave file to a dsnd file. Perhaps something similar is possible with Steven Slate?

/Louis

Louis

Quote from: ncwilliamsuk on February 17, 2010, 07:13:26 AM
Hello

This software is amazing.  Congrats!

One thing though.  Does anyone else have a problem when creating toms (it may not be just toms, its just that what it was for me).  I try to generate a dsnd file, but i get the error: "there is not enough memory to perform the operation"?  I know it seems like an obvious error, but it doesnt appear to happen for other drums.  I am also trying it with only samples in the head (and not rim), but alas, no joy :(

Thanks
Neil

Hi Neil,

Sorry, I missed your question, I do not know if this is still an issue, however, here is what you can do:
if you have downloaded the jar file (dsoundtool.jar), you can start dsoundtool from a command line
- in Windows, run the command interpreter by pressing the windows-button + "R" and then type "cmd",
- in Linux you open a terminal window (Ubuntu: menu Applications/Acessories/terminal)
- on MAC I do not know

Now you can invoke DSoundTool using command

java -Xmx256M -jar dsoundtool.jar

This will allow DSoundTool to use a maximum of 256 megabytes of memory. If that is not enough, increase the number after "-Xmx".

Hope this helps!

Louis

Louis

Quote from: Louis on May 24, 2010, 05:45:04 PM

On http://www.shortestpath.se/dsoundtool/download.html you can only download version 1.01. (you can see the version in the menu option Help/About DSoundTool)

Forgot to add: the only difference in 1.01 is the ability to create hihat dsnd files with up to 5 half-open levels (= 7 levels including totally open and totally closed). Version 1.0 supported max 3 half-open levels.

Louis

claes1965

Hi !

Well now I tried it according to your suggestion and it seems to work. Now only one question. What happens if I make a midifile of let´s say 26 different velocitys and the wav:s that I then trigger via the midifle only consists of mabe 22 hits ?   

Is that really a problem for the dsdn-engine..beccuase then a few hits will be exactly the same(velocity and not different in sound at all ??

Claes

Quote from: Louis on May 24, 2010, 05:45:04 PM
Hi Claes,

Regarding your question about the Slate layers, unfortunately I do not know this program.

I have Superior Drummer; in that program there is a mixer where you can mix different microphones (and effects) as you like. And when you are happy with the sound, you can use DSoundTool to create a MIDI file that contains many hits for a midi note at different velocities. Now you open your DAW, connect Superior Drummer, play the midi file and bounce the result to a wave file. And finally in DSoundTool you can convert this wave file to a dsnd file. Perhaps something similar is possible with Steven Slate?

/Louis

Louis

Quote from: claes1965 on May 25, 2010, 09:28:04 PM
Hi !

Well now I tried it according to your suggestion and it seems to work. Now only one question. What happens if I make a midifile of let´s say 26 different velocitys and the wav:s that I then trigger via the midifle only consists of mabe 22 hits ?   

Is that really a problem for the dsdn-engine..beccuase then a few hits will be exactly the same(velocity and not different in sound at all ??

Claes

Hi Claes,

Good to hear that it works! Hmm, 26 velocities and only 22 hits are detected in the wav? That could indicate a problem. There could be several reasons for this difference:
1. the volumes of the lowest hits were so low, or they lasted so short that they are discarded by dsoundtool. In this case you do not have a real problem.
2. some sounds last very long (I think the limit is 20 or 30 seconds), for example it could happen with a ride cymbal. Those are discarded by the tool. A workaround is to manually split the wave file into individual hits (at least for the hits that are missing). But also in this case there is not really a big problem.
3. there is not enough silence between the hits (dsoundtool tries to find isolate hits in the wave file by looking for silent periods between non-silent periods), and some sounds in dsoundtool consist actually of 2 subsequent hits. Here we have a problem, because if you would download the dsnd file to the 2box module you will sometimes get a double hit when you only hit once.

I would suggest that you split the dsnd file (there is a menu item for this in dsoundtool) and listen to the individual hits to check some of them contain double hits. If you have, you could try to insert a small silence period just before every hits in the wave file, for example using Audacity.

Best regards,

Louis

Louis

Quote from: Louis on May 27, 2010, 06:07:58 PM
Hi Claes,

Good to hear that it works! Hmm, 26 velocities and only 22 hits are detected in the wav? That could indicate a problem. There could be several reasons for this difference:
1. the volumes of the lowest hits were so low, or they lasted so short that they are discarded by dsoundtool. In this case you do not have a real problem.
2. some sounds last very long (I think the limit is 20 or 30 seconds), for example it could happen with a ride cymbal. Those are discarded by the tool. A workaround is to manually split the wave file into individual hits (at least for the hits that are missing). But also in this case there is not really a big problem.
3. there is not enough silence between the hits (dsoundtool tries to find isolate hits in the wave file by looking for silent periods between non-silent periods), and some sounds in dsoundtool consist actually of 2 subsequent hits. Here we have a problem, because if you would download the dsnd file to the 2box module you will sometimes get a double hit when you only hit once.

I would suggest that you split the dsnd file (there is a menu item for this in dsoundtool) and listen to the individual hits to check some of them contain double hits. If you have, you could try to insert a small silence period just before every hits in the wave file, for example using Audacity.

Best regards,

Louis

Forgot to add: If it was case 3) then you could also try to use longer silence periods between the midi notes in the midi file that you generate ("Seconds between 2 samples" in the generate midi file dialog). The default of 5 seconds could be too short.

claes1965

Hi Louis !

Thanx for the long and good answer. But I think you misunderstood me or I did extress myself wrong.

It is like this I mean:

My different wav:s for different snare drums (as an example) ör different in numers. One snare could have 22 velocitys and one other snare could have 26 and one kikc could have 12 different velocitys.

Now I am a littele lazy sO I would like to use the Dsound created midifile for all purposes. Let us say the 26 different velocitys from one midifile and always use that one when I trigger my StevenSlateDrums 3.5..and then make afreezed track and finally let DSoundTool make a dsdn-file from that as you described.

That means that I will have a couple of wav hits that has the same exact sound before letting DSoundToll interpret those difeernet hits and chop them up for the dsdn-making.

Is that a problem ??

Claes

Quote from: Louis on May 27, 2010, 06:14:01 PM
Forgot to add: If it was case 3) then you could also try to use longer silence periods between the midi notes in the midi file that you generate ("Seconds between 2 samples" in the generate midi file dialog). The default of 5 seconds could be too short.

Louis

Quote from: claes1965 on May 27, 2010, 07:52:56 PM
Hi Louis !

Thanx for the long and good answer. But I think you misunderstood me or I did extress myself wrong.

It is like this I mean:

My different wav:s for different snare drums (as an example) ör different in numers. One snare could have 22 velocitys and one other snare could have 26 and one kikc could have 12 different velocitys.

Now I am a littele lazy sO I would like to use the Dsound created midifile for all purposes. Let us say the 26 different velocitys from one midifile and always use that one when I trigger my StevenSlateDrums 3.5..and then make afreezed track and finally let DSoundTool make a dsdn-file from that as you described.

That means that I will have a couple of wav hits that has the same exact sound before letting DSoundToll interpret those difeernet hits and chop them up for the dsdn-making.

Is that a problem ??

Claes

Ah! Now I understand! No, I do not think you will have any problem. A few sounds will be exactly the same, and in theory you increase the risk for the machine gun effect. But with 22 different "real" velicities and only 4 duplicated sound there should not be any problem. I have done some experiments with this, and even when tripling the number of sound (e.g. using 39 layers consisting of only 13 unique sound) I did not get any noticeable machine gun effect.

Louis

claes1965

Hi !

That sound great because it goes much faster for me so that I do not need to look in each wav-library all the time. Just use 26 cause that is the maximum for me.

Now when I work with cymbals with long decays..is there any problem with having let´s say 15 sec between the midi notes ??

Best Regards !

Claes

Quote from: Louis on May 27, 2010, 08:23:14 PM
Ah! Now I understand! No, I do not think you will have any problem. A few sounds will be exactly the same, and in theory you increase the risk for the machine gun effect. But with 22 different "real" velicities and only 4 duplicated sound there should not be any problem. I have done some experiments with this, and even when tripling the number of sound (e.g. using 39 layers consisting of only 13 unique sound) I did not get any noticeable machine gun effect.

Louis

Louis

Quote from: claes1965 on May 27, 2010, 09:26:46 PM
Hi !

That sound great because it goes much faster for me so that I do not need to look in each wav-library all the time. Just use 26 cause that is the maximum for me.

Now when I work with cymbals with long decays..is there any problem with having let´s say 15 sec between the midi notes ??

Best Regards !

Claes

no, you can have as much time between the midi notes as you want to. I checked it: the max. length of a sound that DSoundTool will include in a dsnd file if you use 1 wave file containing all sounds is 20 seconds; longer sounds in the wave file are discarded. Which means that using more than 21 seconds between midi notes makes no sense.

Louis

claes1965

Ok !

..now off to work..thanx again Louis......soon I will post my Steven Slate 3.5 for all to share.

Claes

Quote from: Louis on May 27, 2010, 09:56:11 PM
no, you can have as much time between the midi notes as you want to. I checked it: the max. length of a sound that DSoundTool will include in a dsnd file if you use 1 wave file containing all sounds is 20 seconds; longer sounds in the wave file are discarded. Which means that using more than 21 seconds between midi notes makes no sense.

Louis

Louis

Quote from: claes1965 on May 29, 2010, 07:28:06 AM
Ok !

..now off to work..thanx again Louis......soon I will post my Steven Slate 3.5 for all to share.

Claes

Hi Claes,

Before you do that you should carefully check if the license allows you to copy the sounds this way. For example with the Superior Drummer license this would not be allowed.

claes1965

Hi !

When I am making a HiHat dsdn-file it says "Not enough memory...."

I am starting via the .bat file an under Windows XP.

How to get around this ??

Claes1965

Quote from: Louis on February 04, 2010, 09:09:02 PM
It is time again, a new release of DSoundTool, http://www.shortestpath.se/dsoundtool/

It has now support for creating hihat sounds, that's why the version number is now 1.0.

Other news:
•Now you can view the settings of all drum kits in drumit.dkit and save them to a text file.
•It is now possible to improve playing consistency of sounds that trigger unevenly.
•A bug was fixed; when changing volumes of hihat sounds in already existing .dsnd files, the resulting file did not contain half-open hihat sounds.

and some minor things, like improved sample detection.

Another thing is that I decided give Java Web Start a try. I hope that that makes installation easier, because in theory, as long as you have Java Web Start enabled in your computer, download of the correct Java version is done automatically. And future new versions will automatically be downloaded, hopefully making it easier for you.

I have read good and bad things about Java Web Start, so I am bit hesitant how it will work out. Please let me know if you encounter any problems! Then there is the MAC again. MAC OS should have Java Web Start support, but I do not know how it looks; could any MAC user let me know if it works or not?

/Louis