News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

black rim problem?

Started by Evy, July 27, 2010, 06:08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evy

Ok so I love these drums, but....on my first day of real playing(just got the kit) the little black rim on one of the toms has come loose.  I think one of the rubber things holding it down snapped.  It still triggers just fine.  How do I fix this.  Sorry to say it didn't take much for this to happen.  PS: love the fact the new OS killed off cross talk almost completely!! 

Scottie

Hi Evy

Undo the screws around the top of the pad, then lift top orange metal work off of the black bottom base, which will then give you access to the underside of the rim. From there you will see a little orange hook that the rubber band has to stretch over.

Let me know if this doesn't solve the issue?

Thanks
Scott

Evy

will give it a go but I think the band actually broke.

Evy

yep...as I thought the little black band is broken and can't be used.  Does 2box send these out if need be?  Didn't take long for this to happen,  ???  Any other recourse?

p929

As far as I know, they are nothing else but simple O-rings, you can find them easily in a hardware store.

Evy

ok thanks I will check out my local hardware store ;)

Scottie

Quote from: Evy on July 27, 2010, 08:21:20 PM
yep...as I thought the little black band is broken and can't be used.  Does 2box send these out if need be?  Didn't take long for this to happen,  ???  Any other recourse?

Hi Evy

What country are you located in?

Thanks
Scott

Evy

Quote from: Scottie on July 27, 2010, 09:21:51 PM
Hi Evy

What country are you located in?

Thanks
Scott

Canada(Richmond BC, a suburb of Vancouver)

Ramon

I have the very same problem with one of the tom pads. The black rubber trim is loose on one side and one of the O rings seems to be broken.
I'll give it a close look and see if I can fix it.
Just one week has passed since I received my 2Box  :o  Hope this will be the first and last of this kind of construction issues.
Ramon

fishmonkey

the o-ring system is flawed in my opinion, but they are fairly easy to replace. although if the lower rubber strip has come off the clear plastic trigger ring (or aluminium ring if you have one of the first versions), it can be quite fiddly to get everything back together exactly right.

they are a standard size o-ring that you can get from any hardware or auto parts shop.

Evy

My question is can the black rims be removed and still have a functioning pad?  I've never really seen the need for the sound of the sticks hitting the rim of a drum anyway.  I get that it adds realism, but it's not really necessary IMO.  Just sounds like mistakes. I guess they are needed if you want to trigger a completely dif sound...

Remi

or an rimshot........... :rock:

Evy

Quote from: Remi on July 29, 2010, 05:37:34 PM
or an rimshot........... :rock:

yes of course on the snare, not so necessary on toms IMO!!

puttenvr

In the opinion of many other drummeres the rims ARE necessary

Evy

Well I've been playing drum for nearly 30 years and when recording I try NOT to hit the rims!!(except for the snare)  Anyhoo...got the thing back together with o-rings from the local hardware store.  Tough to get the rings all back together just right(I didn't) but works just fine.