News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

New drummer here, so uh... hello.

Started by fizznchips, March 17, 2015, 07:13:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fizznchips

Hey guys,

Just joined this forum, so wanted to say hi. I've been playing music for about 25 years now (piano first, then bass, then guitar), and just started learning the drums about a month ago. I'm at the point now where I want to buy myself a kit, but have neither the room nor the walls for an acoustic kit. However, I'd sooner buy a nice electronic kit and get good on it, rather than a shitty one that I'll upgrade a year or so in.

Which brings me here. My google fu led me to 2box pretty early on. The reviews I've seen seem promising, but I was hoping to pick your brains. Is it a great kit? Should I compare to specific alternatives? Anything a beginner should know?

I have lessons once a week on an acoustic kit, for what that's worth.

Thanks for your help! Looking forward to posting more.

wildhorse5678

If you are still learning the drums and want to play silently or v quietly at home then i think you need a kit with rubber pads rather than mesh heads. This is more for you to learn stick technique. Rubber pads have more bounce than mesh so you will learn better stick control . When i started learning drums in c 1967 my teacher wouldnt let me touch a drum for 6 months. I learned mama dada on rubber practise pad only once i could play controlled drum rolls at all volume on the pad did i progress to a snare drum.  You dont say where you live. I understand that in USA 2 box kits are supplied with rubber heads not mesh. 
The 2 box brain is very good and the sounds very realistic .. But the rack is quite big. .. Width and depth. But its the STeinway Grand of ekits.  Think ... Did you buy a Steinway grand to learn the piano, did you buy. Gibson Les Paul to learn guitar. ???  Unless you really have cash to spare i would get a cheap rubber pad e kit to learn .. And then upgrade to a 2box when you are proficient .  You should be able get cheap 2nd hand roland or alessis or yamaha e kit on ebay to get you going.  After 40 years playing accoustic i bought 2nd hand Roland td6 jan 2014 , v compact, easy to transport for gigs .... But by oct i discoverd 2Box and its the bees knees in looks and sounds.  Im sure others will chip in with their ideas as well .. This is very informative forum

fizznchips

Hey there!

Thanks for the reply, sir. I'm very grateful. As I said, I'm four weeks in with my drum teacher, who already has me playing basic beats with a closed hi-hat, bass drum, and snare. I'm practicing stick technique outside of my lessons at the moment (it's all I can do without a kit and with just two rubber practice pads instead), but obviously I have a long, long way to go. As for my location, I'm from the UK, but live in Los Angeles, so a 2box kit would have rubber heads. I was actually concerned about that, but from what I can gather they seem very good.

As for your Steinway comparison, you're right, of course. I'm generally hesitant to buy 2nd hand gear - I've been stung before with a guitar - and, like I said, I'd rather not have to upgrade a bunch. I'm not rich by any means, but I have cash I can spend on the kit. But yeah - you're right. I'll have a look at other kits before making the plunge in any direction.