News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

VST Drums and 2Box = VST Drums vs E Drums

Started by drumsonly2002, June 13, 2011, 02:54:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drumsonly2002

In my neck of the woods E drums took a while to catch on. was in the music store and only one guy heard about VSTi. He did not know any drummers using laptops for live gigging. I think for ruggedness, dependability drummers who use e drums prefer modules vs VSTi.
  I go back to the Simmons SDS 7 days where I put Pizeo's in my toms and triggered them (1984). The Simmons snare was horrible so I used a regular snare. Then... TR-505 triggered them via Simmons TMI midi interface, but used acoustic snare. The TR-505 had 8 bit samples. As with my humble adventures in the 80's being the first user of the SDS-7's, will most likely be the first in my area using a laptop to gig. With that being said, my trust in computers is questionable, thus always bring 2 x modules regardless. I am paranoid of electrical stuff breaking.
  If VSTi is a bag of chips and then some, I'll be more surprised than you. I like trying new things live and the worst thing will be an extra Mac laptop for music applications in my drum room. If it works good, I'll be hooked.
  I do not think VSTi live will catch on bar band level, modules will always rule. I got to try this for poops and chuckles.

puttenvr

In (home) studios people more and more prefer soft synhts and samplers above hardware synths
On stage the opposite is true

GenuineHuman

Maybe there is a practical reason behind this as well as the money issue. Software synths are mostly cheaper and definetly more convenient. You don't even need to know how to play an instrument to use soft synths and samplers. Some would also say hardware stuff has higher learning curve, but sometimes I'm not sure about that.

Baby Samus

Well this is it - both are good, lets just thank the gods we drummers have good modules and good software available to us these days!

drumsonly2002

I will never trust a computer over a module. Computers lock, crash. The OS is more complex vs the focused OS for a module. The only true way to know if VSti is better vs modules is to try it live. And if it is, worth the effort. A 2 Box with a few samples  of superior drummer loaded may be the best of 2 worlds.

Jman

Quote from: drumsonly2002 on June 16, 2011, 01:26:47 PM
I will never trust a computer over a module. Computers lock, crash. The OS is more complex vs the focused OS for a module. The only true way to know if VSti is better vs modules is to try it live. And if it is, worth the effort. A 2 Box with a few samples  of superior drummer loaded may be the best of 2 worlds.

I'm happy as a pig in ....  ;D With the samples loaded now I can say I have never sat behind a stand alone drum module eKit that sounds even close to this... incredible sound quality (says a lot I think since I have been demoing edrums every year at NAMM for the last 6 yrs, so even if I never owned it, I've played it!). Now my big problem is all those choices .... I'm turning into a Sample dsnd junky! Already picked up SD 2.0 and 3 expansion packs plus various producer preset packs... I'm hooked! One thing I have concluded so far is the Quality and speed of the SDHC card is a big factor when using larger dsnd based kits ... Sandisk Extreme Class 10 32GB performs much better than my earlier less expensive cards. I'm going to test the Sandisk Extreme Pro soon as it arrives and see if that is even better.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

drumsonly2002

Just ordered Addictive Drums from the local music store.  I thank you guys for the info. This is a great drum forum with fantastic members. I see some of us have been around for a while on different forums from way back when. Great to be in the presence of such a knowledgeable and passionate group. 

Jman

Quote from: drumsonly2002 on June 18, 2011, 07:03:36 PM
I see some of us have been around for a while on different forums from way back when. Great to be in the presence of such a knowledgeable and passionate group. 

You and puttenvr have been around on these edrum forums from waaaaaaaaaay back ..... almost makes me feel young ;D ;)

drumsonly2002

Hey Jman! I was braging about your set up in the music store earlier today about your set up and how you are a serious technician with E Drums. Also to my old band mates when we go out and chat music. A lot of drummers I know still do not get it about E drums. i encourage them to check your cite out to display what is possible. Hard to get acoustic players converted.  I think Puttenvr was born with drum wisdom. We keep on rocking and it only gets better and better.  :patbat2box:

Jman

Quote from: drumsonly2002 on June 18, 2011, 11:00:23 PM
Hey Jman! I was braging about your set up in the music store earlier today about your set up and how you are a serious technician with E Drums. Also to my old band mates when we go out and chat music. A lot of drummers I know still do not get it about E drums. i encourage them to check your cite out to display what is possible. Hard to get acoustic players converted.  I think Puttenvr was born with drum wisdom. We keep on rocking and it only gets better and better.  :patbat2box:
Yeah, I had set up a very busy entertainment group .... huge band ... up to 20 on stage or more ... they did million dollar celebrity weddings, large corporation parties, etc... They had a big problem with stage noise but did not want the looks of a pizza slice Ekit, they wanted to stick to the traditional look on stage ... so I did a DW Stealth kit for em ... Nobody in the audience even knew it was edrums. I only got comments like .... man, that kit sounds great. They used a variety of professional drummers ..... Eventually they just went back to acoustic drums, not because they weren't doing a great job, but because of the resistance from the acoustic drummers that played for them.

puttenvr

Quote from: drumsonly2002 on June 18, 2011, 11:00:23 PMI think Puttenvr was born with drum wisdom.

Yep, but not with enough energy to finish my 500+ pages book about drums ...