News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

saving kits, how many?

Started by snydley, April 03, 2011, 11:07:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snydley

How many kits can we have in our brain, is 100 the limit? Now that I have a 32G module in my brain I'd like to make my own selection of kits and not overwrite any of the default kits,Is this possible, or are we limited to 100?
Thanks,
Snyde

puttenvr

100 kits is limited by the software
not the size of the internal card

snydley

Quote from: puttenvr on April 03, 2011, 01:15:55 PM
100 kits is limited by the software
not the size of the internal card

I see, so if you want to save your own kits you have to overwrite one of the default ones, bummer. With a bigger card you at least can add as many new dsnd files as the card will hold though?
Thanks,
Snyde

Baby Samus

Quote from: snydley on April 03, 2011, 02:22:28 PM
I see, so if you want to save your own kits you have to overwrite one of the default ones, bummer. With a bigger card you at least can add as many new dsnd files as the card will hold though?
Thanks,
Snyde

Yes you can add as many .dsnd files as the memory card will hold.  I think 100 presets is enough for most people really - seriously who uses 100?  In any case, a lot of the 100 presets are using the same sounds that have been tuned up or down, or the rim sounds are different, they aren't all built from unique samples.  May as well just copy over the presets and make your own patches...

snydley

Quote from: Baby Samus on April 03, 2011, 08:28:46 PM
Yes you can add as many .dsnd files as the memory card will hold.  I think 100 presets is enough for most people really - seriously who uses 100?
I understand that, the problem I have is that I don't understand how to get the sounds back, if I want some of the sounds in another kit I would "build" later on, if I overwrite a kit and build my own kit now.
For example, there's a kit that "echos" every time you hit a pad. I don't think I have a use for that NOW, but in the future I might, or maybe on 1 or 2 of my pads. I'm afraid if I overwrite that kit I might never be able to figure out how to make that echo sound again. I guess I need to "dig in to" the brain a little more and experiment.
Snyde

Baby Samus

Quote from: snydley on April 06, 2011, 03:14:05 AM
I understand that, the problem I have is that I don't understand how to get the sounds back, if I want some of the sounds in another kit I would "build" later on, if I overwrite a kit and build my own kit now.
For example, there's a kit that "echos" every time you hit a pad. I don't think I have a use for that NOW, but in the future I might, or maybe on 1 or 2 of my pads. I'm afraid if I overwrite that kit I might never be able to figure out how to make that echo sound again. I guess I need to "dig in to" the brain a little more and experiment.
Snyde

Well you could just check what the name of the sample is and make sure not to delete it.  Remember deleting a kit preset will not delete the samples associated with it from the module.

Jman

Quote from: Baby Samus on April 06, 2011, 03:47:19 AM
Well you could just check what the name of the sample is and make sure not to delete it.  Remember deleting a kit preset will not delete the samples associated with it from the module.

I've made a couple backups of my entire card. Once with the original card before I changed to the larger 32GB ... just to be safe. Then I copied the 32GB card after loading all the new samples from the 2Box website. Also made a backup after I began changing instruments, pan, etc. etc...

Quick question about the .dkit file:

As I modify my kits, so far I am not changing or deleting samples. So, how much info does the .dkit file contain? IE, could I just backup my .dkit file from time to time? Does the .dkit file contain all the mixer, balance, volume, FX, the kits, and the instrument sounds that I am using in each kit ... the changes in tuning I have done, my trigger types and trigger settings I am using, etc. etc.?
I guess what I am saying is, do I need to backup more than just the .dkit file, or is that sufficient to backup? Also, another thought .... I just switched to the new beta 1.20 OS ... will that change things? ... In regards to what I already backed up under the 1.10 OS.....

Sorry to hijack the thread, but this is directly related to the topic, as I am trying to keep backups along the way, so I will retain original kits and settings, but continue on changing and tweaking the kits to my liking. , Not to answer my own question, but I am guessing as long as the samples in the card remain unchanged, the .dkit file should be all I need to back up, instead of backing up everything over, and over. J

..... sorry I said a quick question, that was a slew of questions, and not quick at all! ;)
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/