News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Pearl Throne Thumper

Started by ytchi, January 31, 2012, 07:28:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ytchi

I've been finding it difficult hearing my bass drum when playing along to backing tracks so I've bought myself one of these

http://www.pearldrum.com/Products/Electronic-Drums/Throne-Thumper.aspx

It's fantastic and it does a pretty god job of convincing you that it's a real live kit you're playing. At the moment I'm sending the whole kit to the amp via Out 1&2 so the toms can be felt as well as the bass drum. This seems to work OK although the second rack tom gives more of shake than the floor tom due the dominant frequencies in the samples - this is obviously dependent on the samples used. You could of course route the bass drum to it's own output if you wanted.

Overall, I really like the effect it creates and whilst it's not cheap (£270 here in the UK) it's a good addition to the already great 2box kit. Go for it if you have the cash.

Denus

Haha cool!   8)

Would this work on my XBox 360 also?   ;D

SHwoKing

Seems like a nice piece of Gear.

Wonder how it compares to the BC2 and the BC gigster.

The good thing is that it can be attached to any drum throne. I must say I like my DW Airlift and wouldn't want to trade it for the BC gigster for that reason.

ytchi

Quote from: Denus on January 31, 2012, 08:48:39 PM
Haha cool!   8)

Would this work on my XBox 360 also?   ;D

The pearl unit is made by Buttkicker who do a gamer version. I would think the throne thumper would work OK with a gaming console - you just need an output that you can connect to the pearl amp.

ytchi

Quote from: SHwoKing on January 31, 2012, 09:32:08 PM

I only briefly looked at the BC gigster because it was more than I wanted to pay plus I'd only just bought a new throne and I'm happy with it. I think the Porter and Davies gear is a bit more sophisticated than the pearl unit, which, as I mentioned above, is just a modified version of the buttkicker system. It works though.

Manfred

Hi,

looks like a OEM product from Buttkicker:

http://www.thebuttkicker.com/musicians/index.htm

Buttkickers are well known by home theater freaks. They use it to "shake" the whole sofa driven by the subwoofer output of the sound system.

Regards,

Manfred

edtc

hi guys

I own a buttkicker concert ( the yellow one) ... guess it s the same that the gigster for europe ...

It works well , maybe too well ....   

IMO , it s really cool for big gigs with big PA , but for a home E-drumming use , it s too powerfull...

the one i have can handle 1400W ... imagine :)

A smaller 50/100w model would be enough and much cheaper ... like the smaller gamer unit or a pair of AURA shakers ...

By the way , i had to stop using it because of my back problems ....  not sure it s related ,but i had the feeling it wasnt good for me , so i stoped...

The pearl model seems to be less powerfull....  a bit more than the Buttkicker gamer.... so it should be ok.....  the gamer model should be ok too... it is priced 149.95 bucks , much less than the pearl (499.99) but the piston ( the mass that moves and shake your seat) is also 3 times lighter....

anybody has a son who owns a buttkicker gamer ?   it could be cool if someone tests it with an e-drum ....

Or maybe someone could buy one for his gamer son's birthday just to steal it when he is at school or when it's the mother's week   ;);););)  i dont have kids , and dont want to "make" some just for this testing purpose.. :)

Denus

Unfortunately, I couldn't use that device, even if I would like to do so.
I have neighbors to consider, and I don't want them to come at my door (again).     :drum2:   >:( 

edtc

Quote from: Denus on January 31, 2012, 10:38:48 PM
Unfortunately, I couldn't use that device, even if I would like to do so.
I have neighbors to consider, and I don't want them to come at my door (again).     :drum2:   >:(

if you isolate your drum throne , putting it on a wood board with silent-blocks or tennis ball ,   there wont be so much problems ...

edtc

after some readings , i think the pearl product is based on the BUTTKICKER ADVANCE that costs $169.99 for the transducer only ... you ll need a 100/200w 4ohm amp and something to filter it (lowpass)...

http://thebuttkicker.com/home_theater/products/bk4-4.htm

If you allready have an amp , it could be better than giving 499$ to Pearl ... ;)   you can even screw it directly under  the seat  .

.... and why not use the eq available on the 2BOX module to filter the mediums and treble :)

eyerichards

Hi guys, I use a buttkicker concert as well and it sure does make for an enjoyable gig. I only turn it up enough to add fullness and feeling to the kick and toms. If you go to far it feels more like an annoying child kicking your seat from behind in a movie theater ha ha! I used the buttkicker gamer before my current setup and the amp that comes with it really isn't up to long term use for regular gigs. I had two blow up on me !

Cmsdrums

Quote from: SHwoKing on January 31, 2012, 09:32:08 PM

The good thing is that it can be attached to any drum throne. I must say I like my DW Airlift and wouldn't want to trade it for the BC gigster for that reason.

I've used Buttkicker, Aura and Fischer Amps shakers before, and now have a BC2. The BC2 is the absolute business, and the best 'accessory' investment I have ever made - comparing other throne shakers to it is like comparing a Pearl Export with a DW Collectors Edition kit.

Nico

Anyone who is using the Pearl Throne Thumper ? Is it worth the money ?

Murgen

Quote from: Nico on October 29, 2013, 10:31:12 PM
Anyone who is using the Pearl Throne Thumper ? Is it worth the money ?

I use one since 2 weeks now. I miss it when it is switched off, so got very used to it. Addds and extra punch, connected it to OUT3. I only use it in my drumshed, play acoustic with my band.
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

Nico

That is what I was plan to do, assign kick and floortom to OUT3.
Was looking at some DIY bass pumps but these might rattle too much and need modifications to fit the throne. The pearl thumper looks ok.
Thanks.