News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Wood or nylon?

Started by chris_topher81, November 21, 2010, 02:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris_topher81

What kind of sticks are you all using? The guy in the shop told me not to use nylon tips when I collected my Drumit5, but I've seen and heard of others using them on e-kits, anyone have any suggestions/advice?

madmanmafimardi

dunno, but the mesh cracks after a while with wood, did´nt try nylon yet.
did he have a reason to his advice?

puttenvr

(damaged) Wood sticks can scratch the mesh heads
Nylon sticks can leave white spots on the black cymbals
So, both have their pros and cons

Cuban

Of the two, I would say go with Nylon. Yes they can leave marks on the heads, but they can be cleaned.
Wood tips, even with minor wear, will eat at the mesh heads.

Baby Samus

I prefer wood but in this case I have a simple solution.  I only use brand new sticks on my 2Box - that way the stick has no marks and stays intact for many months if not years (I have pairs I have been using on the 2Box for a year and still in good condition), and of course does not damage the mesh.  If I play an accoustic with a pair of sticks, that pair will never be used on the e-kit.

rythm

Nylon only. The mesh head (Roland/Remo´s) tears down the wooden tip.
And use a patch for the kick head for a longer life.

Remi

Steve Gadd signature with nylon tip.
No marks leaving on the surface........................

Evy

Vic Firth 5B nylon, no probs.

chris_topher81

Thanks for all the help people! Anyone had experience using ahead sticks with the Drumit5?

Baby Samus

Quote from: rythm on November 21, 2010, 07:04:11 PM
Nylon only. The mesh head (Roland/Remo´s) tears down the wooden tip.
And use a patch for the kick head for a longer life.

Hmm odd because that hasn't happened to any of my wood sticks, tips all still fine.  Agree about the patch though - and I feel I would benefit from a rubber beater too....

rythm

I've seen it on my own sticks. Wonder if it depends on what mesh head brand you're using.

Baby Samus

Quote from: rythm on November 22, 2010, 11:37:56 AM
I've seen it on my own sticks. Wonder if it depends on what mesh head brand you're using.

Well I have been using the 2Box heads, also T-Drum heads and another non-branded one which was a lot thicker than the others, so I've used a mixture of different types.  Doesn't seem to make that much difference - perhaps you just hit harder than me?  I also don't use very large sticks - a mixture of 5A, 6A and 7A's so I imagine that also has an effect.

I only really use 5B's when playing an accouctic that needs a good kicking :-)

rythm

5A here, and no heavy hitter (seems I hit the drums more lighter than ever, maybe an age thing).
But I´ve clearly noticed the tip getting smaller and smaller.
This topic has also been discussed in other forums before and with the solution to use nylon tip only.
If you don´t notice any effects on your wooden tips than stick to it  :)

Baby Samus

Quote from: rythm on November 22, 2010, 07:26:29 PM
If you don´t notice any effects on your wooden tips than stick to it  :)

Yeah I don't think there's a hard and fast rule here - there are so many possible culprits for mesh damage.  Even the shape of your tip (now now...) could affect whether it gets damaged or not.  How hard you hit, what type of mesh and how tight or slack you tune it, your technique - I guess all these things can make a difference to stick and head deteriorating.

For the money T-Drum heads are very good value on Thomann, and they seem a reasonable match for the stock heads you get on the 2Box so if you like those you may like the T-Drum heads.  Of course there are more expensive options like Hart Dynamics and Drum-Tec, but I find the T-drum heads fine and a lot cheaper.