News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Backing up your module- how long does it take

Started by norseman, May 03, 2015, 06:05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

norseman

Hello,

I just started the backup process. The module is connected to the computer with a USB 2 cable. The computer's port is USB 3.

It says it's going to take an hour. By the way it's going it looks like it'll be more.

Is this normal?

Thanks!

Murgen

Quote from: norseman on May 03, 2015, 06:05:04 PM
Hello,

I just started the backup process. The module is connected to the computer with a USB 2 cable. The computer's port is USB 3.

It says it's going to take an hour. By the way it's going it looks like it'll be more.

Is this normal?

Thanks!

Yes, the interface is USB 1.1 and therefore quite slow. I prefer the breakout mod and plug the SD straight in the slot on my Mac.
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

norseman

Very slow indeed. It took over an hour. This means it will take a long time to start playing with this kit changing sounds around, hmmm.

Murgen

Quote from: norseman on May 03, 2015, 08:24:28 PM
Very slow indeed. It took over an hour. This means it will take a long time to start playing with this kit changing sounds around, hmmm.

Why? Adding sounds is not 4 GB. After your backup just write the delta's into the module.
--------

norseman

Quote from: Murgen on May 03, 2015, 09:23:36 PM
Why? Adding sounds is not 4 GB. After your backup just write the delta's into the module.

Think about the time when you do this over and over. Now I see the secondary reason for the expanded sdcard.

Murgen

After your initial setup you will do this once or twice per year. Are you Dutch? Norseman means Grumpy man in Dutch.
--------

Coda

Quote from: Murgen on May 03, 2015, 08:21:53 PMYes, the interface is USB 1.1 and therefore quite slow. I prefer the breakout mod and plug the SD straight in the slot on my Mac.
Pedant alert: Technically the interface is USB 2.0, but uses full-speed instead of hi-speed for transfers :-\
Anyway, the first thing I will do when I get my module is remove the SD card, and make an image backup on a mac with Disk Utility. Super quick, and easy to completely restore when your SDcard goes on a bender (technical term for breaking  ;D).

Jman

Quote from: Coda on May 05, 2015, 04:16:16 PM
Pedant alert: Technically the interface is USB 2.0, but uses full-speed instead of hi-speed for transfers :-\
Anyway, the first thing I will do when I get my module is remove the SD card, and make an image backup on a mac with Disk Utility. Super quick, and easy to completely restore when your SDcard goes on a bender (technical term for breaking  ;D).
Well, if you are going that far, you might as well do the 32GB extender mod:
http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php/topic,1445.0.html
Which also solves slow upload/download, since that is all done from the card in a USB reader from then on. Much faster.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Coda

Quote from: Jman on May 05, 2015, 08:02:49 PM
Well, if you are going that far, you might as well do the 32GB extender mod:
http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php/topic,1445.0.html
Which also solves slow upload/download, since that is all done from the card in a USB reader from then on. Much faster.
Yep, the external mount is definitely worth doing from the get-go. I will get around to that, but first I will need to try to find suitable available cards in this country. I have some class-10 micro-sd cards of 16gb size (different makes) with adapters to full-sd size, I will try them (I need to get an idea how to test cards properly in the 2box). I think a few smaller cards may be more useful (for me) than 1 or 2 large cards, but as yet I don't know how the 2box user interface is laid out so I can't really say.