News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Hihat issue

Started by Klejnstrup, April 05, 2016, 07:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coda

Hopefully that's all it is, and it's not something internal in the module that decided to pop.

Jman

Quote from: Coda on May 01, 2016, 07:47:57 PM
Hopefully that's all it is, and it's not something internal in the module that decided to pop.
I haven't heard of anything frying in the module from a HH cable being partially inserted, just the board/sensor .... so I would be surprised if anything in the module is messed up. I mean, there is a remote possibility something broke loose in the module, but my bet is a problem with the HH board.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Coda

Just FYI - it was the sensor board. 10 minutes to solder in a new one (9 minutes of that was looking for my DS tape). Luckily for me it died during my down-time  ;D Now I need to order another spare.

ANGR77

Hi!

I really wonder in which situation the hi-hat (Allegro 1391) circuit pops. I was talking to somebody who claimed it was during boot up/shutdown of the 2Box module and especially on stage where you could have a lot of earth signals or magnetism environment etc (not 100% confirmed) The Allegro should be to handle about 3KV ESD power hits etc...so it sounds strange why it is popping...

Coda, In what situation did your hi-hat finally shut down? Any ideas here?

Reason for asking is more of a general interest...in my 42Box am using other circuits (not any allegro magnet solutions) I have not been able to make it to pop so far...during 8 months of tests...in real tough environment on stage but you can never be too sure.

Angr77

Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

Coda

Well because of exams I haven't been playing much, but the other day I just sat down to play for two minutes, and found the hihat wasn't working. Two days before that it was fine and nobody else goes into my music room, so it must have died either on previous shutdown or subsequent power up. I also had thoughts that it was ESD somehow, plus I have a really strange earthing situation in my flat (sometimes when I turn off my 2box module, my computer on the other side of the room will wake up). So I think that was it.

Drum2

Quote from: Coda on May 06, 2016, 10:54:45 AM
I also had thoughts that it was ESD somehow, plus I have a really strange earthing situation in my flat (sometimes when I turn off my 2box module, my computer on the other side of the room will wake up). So I think that was it.

Thinking about ESD: all grounds are connected to each other, so I don't think ESD could course a problem.
If the computer wakes up in the situation you described, is it connected via USB with the module?
You could have an mains problem, big spikes or even a floating zero (don't know what kind of power grid you're on).

Coda

No the module is not connected via USB to anything. Only the line-in is connection to my USB audio interface so I have something to jam to. So they are connected via grounds that way, but the module is not grounded itself (on the power outlet). I have a NAS connected to a UPS in the other room, and I log power supply coming in, so if there was anything wrong, I should see it there. I'll have a peek.

Edit: A power spike with the module off (which it would have been because I hardly played 2 minutes in 2 weeks) wouldn't affect anything.

Edit2: Nothing in the logs about any spikes or dropouts. Since July 2015 (when I changed the UPS battery) I've had constant supply within 1-2% of nominal. (I'm not in California here lol).

Jman

All the years I have been selling my HH boxes and using them myself I have never had a sensor go bad. The reports/posts I've seen were original 2Box Hi Hats. I don't know the specifics as far as what caused it. But the majority of problems in the 2Box Hi Hat are related to the vibration and movement of the HH cymbal itself with the board mounted in the cymbal. Since my boxes are mounted stationary there is no movement or vibration problem.

Coda

When I have a bit more time, I'll properly investigate my board, it may be the IC, or it could be a diode, but anyway I just want to let everyone know for the sake of transparency:
This is a board I soldered myself. It did not come from Jman.  8)

Jman

Quote from: Coda on May 06, 2016, 06:28:20 PM
When I have a bit more time, I'll properly investigate my board, it may be the IC, or it could be a diode, but anyway I just want to let everyone know for the sake of transparency:
This is a board I soldered myself. It did not come from Jman.  8)
Yes, it will be interesting to see what you find out. Up to now, like I mentioned, to my knowledge most 2Box HH problems were do to failures related to vibration. But it is not clear if there is something that can cause a specific failure from overload, etc.