News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

2box Hihat controller.

Started by welshsteve, September 20, 2016, 09:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

welshsteve

We can all agree the weakest link with the drumit 5 is the hihat, that being said it works good enough for me but just wanted to ask if everyone does this.
Hitting the bow should always give zone 4
Hitting the edge should always give zone 8
Pedal should always be Zone 9

But med to hard hits on bow will give Zone 8.
If it was just a thing of the cross talk and the display showing the weaker of the zones, I wouldn't be bothered, but sonically you can tell it's zone 8!

The only way to always get Zone 4 is to play the bell of the hats. I was to understand that the edge (zone 8) is achieved by a switch, like it is on 14" cymbals.

Like I say, it bothers me only a little and I am okay with it. But as some point I will look to perhaps use a different controller (maybe a roland with the 42box, or whatever it's called, gizmo) if it can cleanly give me edge and bow when I actually play them.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

ANGR77

Hi!

I can just say according to my tests with the Zourman Drums Module (formally 42box) that a hard hit on the bow will always generate a "4" hit...and a hard hit on the edge a "8" using a Roland VH-11. So there is good separation between the bow/edge zones.

However...you should get some ok results on the 2box original HH. If not...probably the plastic list around the edge underneath the rubber have probably left it's place...

Best Regards

Anders / Zourman.com
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

welshsteve

Thanks for the reply! I'll look into both. The Roland hihat and Zumman drums option is probably going to be next year when I have some money. I'll probably go with a Pintech Visulite set up as I think they look the poop!
As for the 2box controller I have, it hasn't been used extensively over the last few years as I tend to trigger it from acoustic drums in live situations. And I can recall this happening really early on in my ownership.

Jman

I can't speak for the original 2Box Hi Hat, but with my Stealth 2Box HH stand conversion kit there is separation between bow and edge hits, edge hits will only be triggered on the HH cymbal edge.... Whether using a Roland CY-5, CY-6, CY-8, etc. or VH-11, 12, 13. Mine is compatible pretty much with any E cymbal. Just FYI.

Also, you might want to peel back the rubber on your 2Box Hi Hat. The way the switch on the 2Box HH cymbal works is when edge is struck, the notched edge of the top metal plate contacts the bottom metal plate creating the edge hit/sound. If the top metal edge gets bent it can be closer to the bottom metal than normal and be more of a "hair" trigger. See pic. The other thing when you do your calibration be sure to follow the extra calibration tip here: http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php/topic,3243.0.html

I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

welshsteve

My god, it was the some bends in the serrated edges causing the false edge hits, I peeled away the top rubber surface and saw a couple of them looking a little bent plus the glue on the top plate is starting to detach (will need a proper fix) so pressed it down firmly on the rubber sandwich (for want of a better expression) and it's got total separation. And to think all these years I put it down to being just one of them things...

Thank you for your help and suggestions!!!

If still go with another controller next year (Pintech vizulite) will your stealth hihat thing work on that Jman?

ANGR77

Hi!

The Pintech Vizulite HH will work with Jmans solution. (Jman offers the pedal functionality which seems to be missing from Pintech solution.(to what I can read) It is just a bow/edge trigger without the pedal solution.

I tried my old 2box hihat yesterday...but after a year with my own solution for VH-11...I can just say it was not fun at all to play with original! Oops! :-) I really question if this magnetic type of solution is the best. A good trigger from Roland seems to do the trick! :-)

Best Regards

Angr77 (Zourman.com)

Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

Jman

Quote from: welshsteve on September 21, 2016, 03:03:24 PM
My god, it was the some bends in the serrated edges causing the false edge hits, I peeled away the top rubber surface and saw a couple of them looking a little bent plus the glue on the top plate is starting to detach (will need a proper fix) so pressed it down firmly on the rubber sandwich (for want of a better expression) and it's got total separation. And to think all these years I put it down to being just one of them things...

Thank you for your help and suggestions!!!

If still go with another controller next year (Pintech vizulite) will your stealth hihat thing work on that Jman?

Well, glad I decided to take a guess on the edge problem .... ;D Yeah, as Angr77 mentioned, mine will work with the Pintech cymbal. Anyway, glad you got it ironed out for now. The 2Box edge triggering does work pretty nice when everything is right, but all bets are off if there is some bending of the tongs. J
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/