News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Need advice on getting the best quality sound out of my amp.

Started by stickcharmer, May 07, 2013, 04:28:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stickcharmer

Hey guys, looking for some advice here. I have a Simmons DA200S that I think sounds ok, but the sound quality is not even comparable to the headphones I have (Sony MDR-7506 studio monitors). Any suggestions to make that amp sound better? Should I buy an eq? Im concerned that if I play live (home jam session or gig) the 2box will sound like garbage (which it does not!).

Thanks

puttenvr

I am afraid that cheap amp/speaker combinations like this one never will sound that good. Sorry.
Better save money for a decent amp than spending another couple of bucks on an EQ.

fulrmr

Got to go with puttenvr here on this one...however before you spend a fortune on a whole complete other system....just get a really nice powered sub to add to the simmons. This will help enormously. You may find that you won't need to buy top cab(s) right away.....if ever.  ;)

stickcharmer

Any suggestions on what amps would sound better? This amp is new and I can return it if there is a cost effective upgrade. Couldn't spend more than 500 US though.

puttenvr

Perhaps an used JBL Eon G2 will do the job or any other system with a sub speaker and enough spl from a well known brand. Stay away from Roland systems which are too cheap, Behringer, and stuff like that. It's though but playing e-drums is an expensive thing to do due to the need of good amplification. Somewhere in this board I have wrote a short article about this subject.

stickcharmer

OK ill look around a little more. Another thing I was thinking was to use the amp as a sub and find some good satellite speakers to add to it for better mids and highs. Anyhoo, thanks again.

fulrmr

Quote from: stickcharmer on May 08, 2013, 02:06:54 PM
OK ill look around a little more. Another thing I was thinking was to use the amp as a sub and find some good satellite speakers to add to it for better mids and highs. Anyhoo, thanks again.

Hmmm......I think you'd be better off with a dedicated sub and use your current amp for mids and highs....if you decide to keep this amp(or even get another). For the most part...amps in general....are not going to get you what you want for live application. Really nice top cabs...JBL/EV/QSC...etc...will suit this purpose much better than an "amp". However even then....you may find you don't quite get the thump you need that a sub will provide when added to the equation. That's why I mentioned getting the sub first...and then a nice top cab to upgrade the amp. However if budget allows...you can't go wrong replacing it all at once....but I would still start with the sub. Might even save you money in the long run. ;)

puttenvr

Does the Simmons amp have a cross over, which controls the AUX out?

stickcharmer

Im not sure =-/ The rear has a dedicated aux out (right and left channel both xlr and tsr) with volume control and ground lift. I have some small studio monitors Im going to try. If that sounds considerably better, I may just go with that. The sub sounds pretty clear to me but this is mostly for at home use.

fulrmr

Quote from: puttenvr on May 10, 2013, 05:22:41 PM
Does the Simmons amp have a cross over, which controls the AUX out?

I don't believe so...but most good powered subs do. Just line into the sub first and jump to amp.

Murgen

--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

puttenvr

stickcharmer

Hey no big deal guys. My understanding is this: JBL eon G2 would be the way to go. Good overall monitor for both home and on the road. If I can't find that, what about the JBL Eon15p-1? http://www.jblpro.com/pub/mi/eon15p-1.pdf